i don't know

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by chandra anjali, May 9, 2004.

1. chandra anjali

chandra anjali Member

i've been accepted and harrassed by a college. so i might go there, i already found a roommate, and i am really confused. i want to go out into the world and just live, but i want to learn too, i know i can do both in either place but blegh!

2. VanAstral

VanAstral Member

if you've been harrassed, then i think you should see the police... i suggest, if you have the means, travel. school'll always be there, but youth won't. work that body 'round the world, baby!

3. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

how were you harassed?

4. sassure

sassure Member

Check out the colleges and the students on a regular class day. It's better to go where you'll make friends and meet others like you.....better than going to a place for its "academic merit" and finding a bunch of preppy Justin and Britney wannabes who do nothing but talk about Daddy's money and how many hours they spent passed out on the floor in the back seat of their Camry.....

5. Loki

Loki Member

Most schools have some sort of study abroad program, you should probably look into that. I am gonna be in syndey next spring...and i have a feeling i will get no work done, but its worth it.

6. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

Don't rush to go to school if you are unsure. Everyone I know who did that has wasted a lot of money on classes they faled. Not that you will. Also a lot of people I know have taken tons of classes are like 3 years in and still don't know what thay are going to be yet. Give yourself some time if you need it there isnt anything wrong with a break. You have your whole life to learn.

7. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

There are definintely some costs & benefits either way. If you take too much time off, you may have a harder time getting scholarships, though that Pell Grant money will still be there. Those who do take time off are taking a risk, as many never get around to going back to school. Life has a funny way of getting in the way. On the other hand, those I've known (including myself) who have gone back have been more serious students. Personally, I could give two shits about going out partying because I've been there, done that. Not that I never go out, but I go out with a group of friends & hang out, nobody feels the need to prove how quickly they can get drunk or compete for who is most fucked up. And, we generally only do so on weekends so that it doesn't interfere with classes.

For a happy medium, have you looked in to whether this school has a defered enrollment option? Many schools will allow you to take a year off (maybe more if you go back to fill out the paperwork again) before attending without having to worry about being accepted again.