our galaxy

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Jetblack, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

wat exactly contains our galaxy like wat are the walls that form our galaxy or does our galaxy have no walls and everything is just where it is cause of gravity/orbit?

2. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

duct tape probably

3. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

hm, correct me if im wrong so basiclly wat ur saying is pure energy is holding us together?

4. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

ah ok thx sorry im kinda slow wen it comes to science but im just so dam interested

5. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

i know its unbelieveable anything that massive can work all togetehr in one and all the science behind it just leaves me in awe thats why i luv it so much

6. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

man that soudns awesomeeeee

7. Shakra

Shakra Member

LOL drugs are good for that kind of thing. Thats when I realised just how slow speech is as a form of communication.

8. sky_pink

sky_pink er... what's the time?

What do you mean, the speed of our galaxy?

9. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

10. sky_pink

Thank you, shaggie.

That's the whole point. There's no speed with which we are moving through space (we're done with ether, after all). Or, it's any speed.

Actually, it's the same with the speed of rotation - how are you going to measure that without absolute space?

11. Razorofoccam

Razorofoccam Banned

Sky

Hi!

Well maybe, this is one way

http://www.kingsu.ab.ca/~brian/astro/course/lectures/winter/chp6.htm

"We are situated roughly 2/3 of the way out and orbit the nucleus with a velocity of about 250 km/s"

Occam

12. sky_pink

Why don't you calm down?

I am trying to tell you that all speed is relative. And, in this case, rotation is ALSO relative. If there was a merry-go-round in a room and the center something was in the center of it, and there was a ball a bit away from the center, and then a person yet a bit farther away, and then a person standing on the floor looking at the merry-go-round, the two persons would have a really hard time agreeing whether the ball moved in relation to the center or not. One would say it did (the one standing), and the other that it didn't.

Indeed, it is, if we accept Enstein's theory, impossible to determine if we are moving at any speed. As far as we know, we could be standing still.

13. sky_pink

Er... what the hell does that have to do with speed?

14. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

15. meglomaniac

meglomaniac Member

Here i have it on this chart explains the whole mystery..... Shit i forgot the chart and it was all prepared.

16. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

17. sky_pink

MidnightMoonlight, have you ever tried acquainting yourself with Einstein's theory of relativity?

You have been ignoring it completely. I advise you to re-read shaggie's post (the longer one). And then re-read it again. And afterwards go find something on relativity. You cannot just ignore relativity!

18. sky_pink

My answer is "no", but it's not like it matters. It has nothing to do with understanding.

The PROBLEM is that you're using Newtonian physics! How can you calculate some mystic speed of our galaxy when Einstein stated that all motion is relative without ignoring this statement?

Are you calling the whole point of whether measuring speed is objectively possible a technicality?!?!? :eek: :eek:

19. sky_pink

There is no way, he [Einstein] asserted, to ever measure the Earth's motion through absolute space [..] One can measure the Earth's velocity only relative to other physical objects [..] For neither Earth nor train nor anything else is there any standard of absolute motion ; motion is purely "relative". (Kip Thorne, "Black Holes and Time Warps", p. 72)

There is no absolute space for the Earth, or our galaxy, to travel through. Thus the speed cannot be measured, it can only be measured relative to something. If you don't mention what you are referring to as being in a state of absolute rest. If you haven't chosen such a thing, you cannot talk about speed.

I must ask you to stop making personal attacks or otherwise attempting to insult me, even though chimpanzees are highly intelligent (and at times educated) animals.

20. HoneySuckleBlue

HoneySuckleBlue Cosmic Artist

You tell him girl!

I'd jump in but it looks like you've got it sewn up tight:)

Good to see you around!

Chimpanzeees...heehee