legs falling asleep during meditation

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by MelvnDoo, Mar 10, 2005.

1. MelvnDoo

MelvnDoo Member

when i meditate, after a while my legs start to go numb. i ususally sit cross-legged on a mattress on the floor with my back against the wall, with a pillow between my back and the wall. after about 15 min or so, i can feel my feet start to go numb. any ideas about how to help this? i´ve done chair meditation, but i´ve found that i´m most comfortable sitting cross-legged except for when things start to go numb.

just wondering what other things i could try. thanks!

2. Syntax

Syntax Senior Member

How about you try not doing it cross legged?

3. White Feather

White Feather Senior Member

You may want to shift your weight back so that you are not laying on top of your legs nor falling back - a nice balance.

So, yes, my advice is to lean back more while still keeping your spine straight. Tighten your spincher if you have to - and fall back a bit.

4. MelvnDoo

MelvnDoo Member

thanks white feather - i´ll try that.

¿has estado en españa alguna vez?

5. White Feather

No, soy Boriqua. But I love the Yellow and Red colours. For buddhist colours I like light blue and coral red. But I look best in tan pants and yellow shirts. Yellow is defintely my colour.

6. MelvnDoo

MelvnDoo Member

¿boriqua? no sé que es... y te pregunté si has estado en españa, no si eres español.

7. White Feather

Yes, I know what you meant. No I'm not in or from Spain.

I just didn't like any of the avatars so I chose the colors I liked since I use the Spanish flag at another forum (www.abxzone.com)

8. tenaciousjackk

tenaciousjackk Member

man y dont you just try laying down thats what i do and it works great

9. empathy

empathy Member

i don't do it on the floor, and i've never had a problem. try meditating on your bed, or in a comfortable chair.

10. Welsh Werecat

Welsh Werecat Member

My legs always cramp up on me, I find sitting cross-legged uncomfortable at the best of times. I usually lie on my bed when I meditate, and still get the same effects as if I were sitting up.

11. neoteny

neoteny Member

I would recommend trying a kneeling posture. You can either get a small meditation bench (or make one--they're simple, and it would save you the ridiculous prices companies charge) or just use some cushions. Your feet are much less likely to fall asleep, and I find it keeps my back straighter and more comfortable.

12. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

I have a book on Zen that says "Don't bother with the lotus if it just means getting stiff legs."

Remember that meditation is about what arises naturally, not what you force.

Blessings

Sebbi

13. yogi for peace

yogi for peace Member

Stretch!!!

Stretch out first! Your legs, hamstrings, quads, hips, all of it!! that will help both in long and short term.

Yoga is perfect for you - goes hand in hand with meditation, and can give you the solution you are looking for.

14. yogi for peace

yogi for peace Member

Asana (the physical practice of yoga) was actually originally designed for just this purpose - to prepare you to sit for extended periods of time in meditation. it grew from about 6 poses to open up for sitting to thousands of postures for opening the whole body!

\\'()()'|'
    I love yoga

15. Mui

Mui Senior Member

no way, lotus position is the way to go... but it sounds like he/she doesnt even use lotus, he does it cross legged. a lot of less flexible people cant get into lotus position...
    I would say, switch to lotus position instead of cross legged... and if you cant do lotus position, do half lotus.
    Anyone can do half lotus and should get rid of any discomfort or problems u had w/ lotus.

Also, you could kneel... and there is also such thing as "standing/walking" meditation... which could be of use to you... never really tried it, i just have read about it.

16. yogi for peace

yogi for peace Member

How's it going MelvnDoo?