black holes

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Jetblack, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

ok im definetly not the brightness wen it comes to science and space etc but i am very curious and would luv to have a career in a field of science, but anywasy onto my question plz dont laugh to hard :0
    ok so i know a black hole is basiclly a vacuum in space which is the left over energy of a star being destroyed correct? well i know nothing can escape it and everything gets sucked into it but i mean where does it go is the black hole infinite or does the black hole like a bag and eventually has a pcoket where all this lgith and mass is sucked into to?

2. HoneySuckleBlue

HoneySuckleBlue Cosmic Artist

I wish somebodied make a black hole powered trash compactor already.

3. warthog

warthog Member

is'nt that where alll the un macthed socks happen??One gets sucked into the black hole...or stuff you cant rtemember where you put in //black Hole???

4. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

A black hole is definatly not a vacuum. In fact it's closer to being the opposite.

You know you are basically trapped on earth, but you also know that if you can propell yourself away from the earth fast enough you will escape the earths gravity (well to an extent, in reality everything is attracted to everything else but I can say this hypothetically). This speed is called the escape velocity.

You know the speed of light is like a universal speed limit, nothing can go any faster than it. Well imagine an object that has so much matter (and density) that the escape velocity is faster than the speed of light. Basically nothing can be fast enough to escape, not even light. What you have yourself is a black hole.

Blessings

Sebbi

5. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

According to Hawking, black holes are detectable through their radiation. That means that even though they draw everything toward them, they slowly give off radiation, and ultimatly over millions of years radiate themselfs outta existence.

6. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

black holes scare the crap out of me

7. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Well not exactly.

Some of the radiation comes from dust spagettifying, some of it comes from the result of quantum fluxuation.

We know that all the time a particle and an antiparticle create then annihilate right. Now image that one gets sucked into a black hole (for the sake of the matter, this will be the antiparticle) and the other wanders into space. The the particle is the radiation we can see, the antiparticle has destroyed a coresponding particle within the black hole (so for example a antielectron [or positron] has annihilated an electron). The result is, effectively, a particle has crossed the event horizon.

Also black holes do not radiate themselves out of existance, since it is mainly antimatter that get sucked in, imagine now that whenever this happens the black hole gets smaller, only by a miniscule ammount but it gets smaller. Have you heard of the Schwartzfeld radius, this is the size something has to be before it turns into a black hole. Imagine that this is getting gradually smaller and smaller until it is smaller than the singularity of matter inside, once this happens there is a whole lot of matter that isn't being contained and there is a lot of proton and electrons very close, the fermionic repulsion (what makes two north magnets repel) would be huge and the pressure would suddenly be released. The entire thing does definatly not GRADUALLY wittle itself out of existance, it wittles itself out of existance very suddenly (with a very long gradual process before hand.

Blessings

Sebbi

8. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

9. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

infinite scary nothingness kinda turns me on... i dunno.

Shaggie's right, hawking radiation, they radiate themselfs out of existence, it has nothing to do with dark matter.

10. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

The Schwardfeld radius is how small an object has to be before it becomes a black hole, once something is a blackhole then the Schwarzfeld radius and the event horizon are one and the same.

The blackhole looses mass until the pressure caused by Pauli repulsion blows the thing into pieces, the point that this happens is when the event horizon is smaller than the singularity inside.

What I was talking about with the quantum flux and half of it falling into the blackhole (the ANTImatter part, not dark matter, big difference there [well, there might not be, but we don't know that]) - that is actually what Hawking radiation is.

Blessings

Sebbi

11. Bro_Rific

Bro_Rific Banned

Pass that joint this way, Sebbi.

12. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

13. POPthree13

POPthree13 Member

Sebbi is quite right guys. Virtual particle-antiparticle pairs are being created all the time. Usually they disappear almost instantaneously, but if a virtual pair
    is created just inside the event horizon of a black hole, then
    Hawking showed that one of them could escape and become real instead
    of virtual. The black hole thereby loses mass. but this process
    (Hawking radiation) is only significant for very small black holes.

Plus all this assumes that the black hole isn't sucking up more mass. Until the universe is swallowed black holes will find mass to absorb.

14. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

15. POPthree13

POPthree13 Member

That is fair enough. The idea that a black hole even CAN radiate itself out of existence is based solely on the theory that the universe will continue to expand. Black holes only radiate when their surface temperatures are above the temperature of ambient radiation in the universe. I think around 1/1000th a degree kelvin.

IF the universe continues to expand the ambient radiation disperses and the temperature drops, thus allowing more energy to leave the now warmer black hole.

If the universe ever stops expanding (or comes into contact with another expanding system) this will not hold true.

16. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

17. POPthree13

POPthree13 Member

Indeed. Black holes will have to get bigger and bigger to account for the expansion. If they can not keep up (and I think science has figured they can't) they will all emit themselves away. Our bing bang will eventually lead to a complete dispersal of particles. Much as it began, only spread WAY out.

So... provided you don't beleive this universe is a one trip wonder there must be other universes out there. Other big bang systems.

Or are we the only one? How many times have we thought that...
    Earth is the end all be all. Not.
    Solar system is the end all be all. Not.
    Galaxy is the end all be all. Not.
    Big Bang is the end all be all. I doubt it...

18. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

If I ever met a black hole, I'd kick it's ass.

19. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member