How did you get into the hippy lifestyle?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Gypzy, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I'm more beat than hippie.

2. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I was born into it,rejected it and went punk,came back to it,then found a happy compromise.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Although I do have some other affiliations with it, if it wasn't for the music I probably wouldn't have gotten into the hippie lifestyle at all.

4. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Born in the 60s
    Saw Revolution and Evolution
    Embraced the Credo
    Stood steadfast in/with Conscience
    AND ...
    (Still)
    LIVE the Dream

5. thismoment

thismoment Member

In 1967 I came home from a year in Vietnam in an infantry combat unit... within a few months I was turning on and of course that gave me new perspective (to say the least) and I quit shaving and getting haircuts and going to class and so on and one day I realized I was a hippie. I was grateful. I still am.

6. OGirly

OGirly Guest

I was born into a really right wing family. My father had fought in Vietnam, and is pretty die hard against communism even to this day. I started experimenting with drugs (pot, mushrooms, lsd) in high school, and when my female partner (we've been together since freshman year in hs) introduced me to her parents I was blown away by their instant acceptance of me. My family was extremely homophobic (and still kinda are). I started to spend a lot of time with her parents because they were just awesome, and I started to hear stories of their life 'back in the day'. I was curious because the adventures they went on in the 60's seemed amazing! Like the things I read about in books.

They encouraged the two of us to take their VW bus out to California, and we stayed out there in San Diego for about a year living out of the van, selling crafts, etc. We hooked up with a few other like minded individuals, and I've been hooked to the 'hippy' lifestyle ever since. I mean I've had to clean up a bit to finish school, and hopefully medical school; but once I've got my license and enough money that I don't have to beg for food this time I'm hitting the road again (probably when I'm 40-50 and retired lol..but I can dream can't I :p)

7. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

I grew up in a really small town, near a beach.
    Hippy was really the only subculture going on there.
    While I was a 'gamer', there weren't many of us around.
    When I moved to the city, I managed to find actual gamer subculture.

8. catnipdrops

catnipdrops Guest

Im 16 and over the last few years I have been 'hippyish' but more so this last year. Everything about a typical hippie is what I relate to and aspire to be even more so!
    for me, its kinda tough though. My family arent like it and neither are my friends. Im also stuck at a military college for a few months, which i dislike, as im so out of place! Plus, i do not agree with things such as weapons and war. But anyway, Im not so much a hippie- more of an aspiring one. I guess i just need to be lead.

9. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I stopped living a life that I didn't really want. The corporate world didn't interest me at all so I started to travel the world and let my hair grow long. Chasing freedom and doing whatever you want to do with and open mind and respect to other cultures and people that you visit.
    Plus I like a lot of music from the hippie era.
    So many people consider me to be a hippie. That's fine with me, I just don't confine myself to a stereotype.

10. infantdressingtable

infantdressingtable Member

Animal collective.

11. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

Born into it,,, got into it,,,, I dunno, I never liked to be like anyone else but then I didn't do things to be Different either, like wild hair stuff or massive tats. I just did my own stuff even as a kid because my parents never made us follow any kind of trend. My jeans back then were Rawhides and I wore them till they were thin, moccasins were my fave shoe back then even after holes were wore in them because I felt nearly barefoot where you can't be and could wiggle my toes in them and they hardly felt like wearing shoes, I still have a couple pair and wear them and flat sandals.
    I like the older music too but I don't know if that labels me or not, I just don't care for the funk crap that's been out in past years and never did get into any rap. I like Kim Mitchell, ZZtop, the stones, Phil Collins, The Animals and most in the times those bands were popular.

12. volunteer_tommy

volunteer_tommy Elongated Member

No.

Kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it? If you need to follow anything, follow your own heart. Figure out who you are for yourself and don't let anyone else tell you - maybe help you, but not tell you. You're 16, you have time. In the end, we're all just people, right?

13. FawnofTime

FawnofTime Member

I didn't really realize I has a Hippie until just the last couple years of my life.

I grew up always knowing I was a bit different from everyone around me, but I didn't realize the bohemian.hippie lifestyle was for me until I took psychedelics and my eyes opened to how the world around me really was.

It was at that point I became an intellectual, being fascinated with everything about science and spirits and anything to do with the metaphysical. I started to see how corrupt the world around me was and so I became more and more secluded from it, learning to live apart from the city culture and unecessities of life.

I have reduced my chemical intake to next to nothing, and anytime I eat junk food these days I feel yucky for the next day or two. I have learned ways to keep my body healthy and detoxed, and my mother and I have started growing our own medicine and food and we also have chickens for eggs. I am starting to recycle all my clothes for all cotton, and I have taken the habit to addictively crafting to create my own style of clothes and create a unique look.

I am always on the journey to learning more about who I am and how I affect the world around me. Once I realized I am a hippie and heart, everything about myself started to gracefully unfold in front of my very eyes.

Peace and love to all! <3

14. ladylick69

ladylick69 Guest

Moved to San Francisco in 1968 and sort of melted into the lifestyle.

15. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Same here in '66 after being declared a 'hippy' by the San Antonio press.

16. Shale

Shale ~

I fell in with the wrong crowd. :p Or at least that's what parents said of their errant kids in the '60s. Fact is I was an active part of the wrong crowd.

Sort of a late bloomer. Went into the Air Force, got out in '67 became a security guard, then a cop and finally in '69 "I quit the Police Dept, got myself a steady job" of exploring new things, including dealing a little dope in San Francisco. It was happening all around me in New Orleans and I just went to the light side in 1970. Started hangin' with my new friends, smoking grass and taking psychedelics.

I count July 4, 1970 as my day of Independence from the old life when we all went to the Atlanta Pop Festival. That's also how I found this site, doing historical research on that event.

[​IMG]

The rest is also history

[​IMG]

17. Moonwater

Moonwater Guest

I think it was from listening to earth elemental music .. and living in Seattle Washington
    but most likely because of my parents too.

18. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

just sort of came upon me.
    as a kid i was always wearing tye dye, climbing trees, and giving the peace sign.
    i've had some amazing experiences and memories in Northern Arizona, Big Sur, the woods, concerts, etc.
    if your mind is open and inclined to it, it just sort of happens.

1 person likes this.
  19. anjiepanjie36

anjiepanjie36 Guest

for me, I realized that I had a lot of the same traits as a hippie, I ve always been the odd one out, Ive always been more of the peace loving person, Ive always hated violence, I always loved animals and the environment and I always loved the older music, I love the hippie clothing and never liked war or authorities

20. the_doors_of_perception

the_doors_of_perception Member

I was brought up to be loving, respectful, kind, and open-minded. I have always been EXTREMELY PASSIONATE about my art! Drawing, painting, sculpture, photography. Both my parents and most of my siblings are artistically talented too. I've always been into the occult, magic, astrology, and things like that from the time I was a little kid.
    I am Native American and was taught to love animals-- I love them ALL. I feel a natural connection with nature, and I love going on adventures, traveling, and getting into trouble.
    I am completely against blindly following man-made laws. I have always been pro-vigilantism. ;)
    I have a very strong sense of justice, and always doing what is right, whether it's against the law or not.
    I am religious, spiritual, and love to astral travel.

Also...NOTHING beats 60s music to me...nothing comes close. The Beatles are the #1 band ever to exist. I love The Doors and Jimi Hendrix too.
    Something about that era was extremely special, and it can never be replicated. Something about the people...when I watch videos of them, I cry.