Backpacking in North America?

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by beachbum7, Jun 1, 2004.

1. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I've always read and heard that Europe is a popular location for backpackers, but is North America is good place for backpackers? I've never seriously considering going backpacking, but right now, I'm giving some thought to it (I'm not sure if I'll do it, but I'm thinking about it). After I'm done in Japan (which I think I will be in 12 months), I'd like to do some traveling, and I think I'll do it in North America because I do want to meet some hipforums members. And I want to give myself a travel experience I've never had, so I'm considering backpacking.

2. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Europe is a popular backpacking venue for the obvious reason that it is Europe and filled with history, but also for the extensive rail system that allows you to hop on a train in even the smallest of towns. Buy a Eurail pass and you aregood to go.

While North America, the US in particular, is full of wide open space and diverse beauty, getting around is more difficult. In my backpacking around the states I relied on hitching rides and the bus. Both were equally frustrating in their own ways.

Mexico is an excellant place to backpack as their bus system is great and the prices are cheap. Get a Lonely Planet guide to Mexico and find those places on the beach that rent hammock space for a buck a day. I really liked Zipolite on the coast of Oaxaca.

3. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

4. Bohemian_Child

Bohemian_Child Member

i live in jersey too! though im stuck there, lucky!

my friend and i are doing a short stint on the AT this summer, but id like to do it in full... either before i go overseas (if i go to that college) or after i graduate here.

i have never done more than a day on the AT so im excited! its gorgeous, though. You can just drive into NY state and theres some beautiful AT up there.

Or go to north carolina or the green mountains, east coast has some nice trails if youre really interested.

id have to say AT all the way, though. its not terribly far from you!

feel free to pm/im me, a fellow jersey-ite!

5. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Or, you could come to the Pacific Northwest...I'd like to go check out the AT...

6. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

Bohemian_Child, it's nice to fellow Jerseyites on the hipforums!!!

If I do go backpacking in North America, I've been thinking about going out west... places like Washington, Oregon, and New Mexico are high on my list. I will definitely check out the AT. It does have the benefit of being on the east coast.