Going barefoot for first time at school!

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by DejaVoo, May 31, 2004.

1. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

Ok I'm not going to care what people think....i'm going school barefoot TOMARROW! I'm tired of shoes! I'm still kind of embarassed:eek: ....but i'm going to earase that fear. I bet everyone is going to think i'm gross or weird but who cares! Oh well..Wish me luck!

Antony14 likes this.
  2. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

Good luck!

I'm a barefooter (out of school, though) and I know that it can be a challenge to go barefoot in places where you know people will expect you to be shod. (Try going into a Walmart barefoot! The ignorant jerks there won't let you!)

Barefoot chicks are cute, sexy, independent, strong, and free! I hope you have a great time going barefoot in school. And if they give you a hard time, check out www.barefooters.org They have a great website full of information you can use to defend your choice. And if in the end they say you can't go barefoot at school, you can always go barefoot on your own time. It feels just as good, though maybe not as controversial. :)

Let us know how things go!

-Jeffrey

3. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

Hey thanks! u made me feel better....um i pretty much went half the day barefoot...alot of people stared and were like 'what?' and some of my friends were like 'haha ur going barefoot?' but they didnt say anything like ewwww. but i know some of my other "friends" would! some of them are so uptight! but anyways, my school is pretty nasty with all the mud puddles and trash and gum and spit..maybe ill jus go on my own time! thanks!

4. Sax_Machine

Sax_Machine saxbend

Don't worry about what you might step in, watching where you tread will save you a lot of trouble, and the skin will thicken soon enough anyway. So what if you tread in a bit of mud anyway? A bit of wet grass will solve that problem. And if your feet are still dirty at the end of the day, have a shower, problem solved!

If you can face your friends, that's about 90% of the battle as far as I'm concerned. Don't worry about people not letting you do things. If your teachers invent a new school dress code rule especially for you then there won't be much you can do about it, but until they do, just enjoy it.

5. Muzz

Muzz Member

Just wear long pants with relatively large bottoms. That way you can go barefoot and fewer people will ask you about it.

6. peacefuljeffrey

Confidence is what it is all about. If you can FAKE confidence for a little while, eventually you build REAL confidence! It's a weird little paradox.

If people start to notice your feet and give you guff about them, hold out a foot, and laugh about it, and say, "Yeah, my feet are beautiful and I just gotta see them and get them seen all the time! Look at that foot! It's gorgeous! And it feels so FREE being bare all the time!"

If you can do that in front of people, THEY will stand there wondering, "How can she have such confidence?" And they will be the ones wondering about whether they could ever feel so bold and sure of themselves, and they will probably harbor an awed respect for you. It is the difference between carrying yourself like you're not sure of yourself, and carrying yourself like YOU make the rules for you!

I will admit that this is something I am still practicing. I'm not perfect at it, either.

When you think about it, going barefoot is not doing something "wrong," so there is no reason why you should have to hide it or make excuses for it. If you keep that feeling present in your mind, it will make it easier for you to be brazen and fun and outgoing and confident about it if the subject comes up for discussion.

If you don't already, try adorning your feet, with a few toe-rings or something. It will show people you mean business about having your feet bare, and also it will be a conversation-piece and point of interest. And when you start to feel self-conscious about people looking at your feet, you can just tell yourself they're looking at the rings, not at you, and it might be easier to deal with mentally.

I hope you have fun and grow strong about it! :)

Blue skies,
    -Jeffrey

BarefootedBoy likes this.
  7. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

i put sandals in my bag while i walk around barefoot in school in case the teachers yell at me. i'll put them on though when i'm walking through the cafeteria or the bathroom. people look at me weird and tell me it's gross but it's just feet, i don't see what the big deal is. i'm just more comfy that way...oh well

8. jendi17

jendi17 Member

This one time at school my sandal broke ...the strap broke off so I had to either drag my foot with the sandal or go barefoot. I went barefoot and I loved it, even though my school floors are filthy. I walked home barefoot too and it felt great...when I was little I was usually barefoot, so my feet are really hard on the bottom, Barefoot feels so good

9. peacefuljeffrey

Jendi, it's cool that you didn't freak out about having the one sandal break and you just rolled with it! :D Others might have just refused to go anywhere until they had their parents drop off new shoes for them, or done the stupid thing and walked with only one shoe on. (Trust me, there are people that stupid and unadaptable.)

By the way, I recognize that picture in your sig. Isn't that from "Dead Man"? I watched that on video a few years ago. Johnny Depp met an Indian dude whose name was He Who Speaks Loudly and Says Nothing," right? :p Wacko movie, if I recall.

Blue skies,
    -Jeffrey

10. jendi17

jendi17 Member

Yeah, it is from Dead Man. I really like that movie. Yeah that Indian's name is Nobody. It's a good movie.

11. enigma_rising

enigma_rising Member

i love going barefoot, lol, dont tend to do it much though, just for going to the post box near my house, and my neigbours thought that was scandolous, ( i have now moved but used to live in quite a posh area of town with my parents) also coming home from nights out when shoes were more hinderance than help, and when camping in the summer would allways go around site without shoes, just love feeling the earth under my feet. its great thet you guys can go without shoes whenever you feel like it, im not quite that brave yet but im working on it!

12. JamminOTR

JamminOTR Member

I once decided to do a shoe boycott while still in school. It lasted about a month and then had to come to end for many different reasons. It was nice for a while thought, very free. I carried flipflops with me for photo and chemistry cus I don't know what kind of chemicals are on those floors. Had to quit cus it got to be winter time and snow and bare feet don't mix to well. Plus the admisnistration finally took notice and threatened to suspend me if the saw me with no shoes on again. But yeah, enjoy...it's tons of fun!:)

13. NKat

NKat Member

I've been barefoot at school for 2 school weeks now, and i love it. i watch the floor, so i never step on gum, and yea, sometimes by the end of the day, my soles are black, but it doesn't really bother me. i keep my shoes in my locker and wear them in gym and woodshop. most've my friends are really supportive. There are kids (and teachers) who think it's disgusting, which I don't really understand.. i'm the only one who should have a problem with how "disgusting" it is - they're my feet. some kids think it's awesome. My feet feel much healthier, and against the predictions of most've the kids and teachers, i haven't gotten sick or gotten fungus from walking around barefoot. it's great.

RT19 likes this.
  14. peacefuljeffrey

Grand for you!

People who predict you'll get "a fungus" are doing so in ignorance. Fungi that attack the feet thrive by getting picked up, like in a public shower, where they have come off others' feet, and then getting enclosed in SHOES, where the environment is dark, warm and moist. If you are constantly barefoot, the fungus will DIE because it is not in its element, like if you tried to grow a fern outside in winter in Nebraska. It's simply not made to live there.

These people you mention are thinking of what happens with someone who habitually wears shoes, who gets a fungus from a shower -- not someone whose habits themselves are a natural defense against the growth of the fungus.

I'm glad you are having a good time barefooting at school, and that you are strong and resolute enough to not care when some people are "disgusted" by it. And why should they be? The fact that if you wore flip-flops they would see nearly as much of your exposed feet means that it can't be about just seeing your feet; it would have to be about knowing your feet are touching the ground and whatever's on it. And like you said, if that's the case, you yourself are the one who should be grossed-out or not. It has nothing to do with them.

Yesterday, I went to get service on my car at the dealership, and I got out barefoot and waited in the waiting room barefoot. No one said anything to me about it (this is the second or third time I've gone there barefoot -- other times in flip-flops). Afterward, I went to Pep Boys for new tires, and no one hassled me there, either! I walked around the store with a clerk to select the tires, and he definitely saw I was barefoot -- as did the manager I dealt with later -- and I also waited in the waiting room with the vending machines that were visited by numerous employees. No one gave me the slightest grudge about it, and I didn't even notice any long or weird stares! I guess there is something to the notion that I had in my head to KNOW that I'm doing nothing wrong, and that confident assertion will come across to others.

Blue skies,
    -Jeffrey

15. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i have gotten to the point where i cant get comfy if a have shoes on.

16. Barefoot_kid

Barefoot_kid Member

I have been going barefoot in school for years and it is great. I used to wear long pants so nobody would see. One day I spepped on a thumbatck and had to walk around with it in my foot all day because if I said anything, I would get in trouble. My soles are tougher now and if I do step on, (Thumbtack, glass, thorn, ect.) it really dosen't hurt and I can pull it out and keep going.

17. enjoylifeasmuchasyou

enjoylifeasmuchasyou Member

Yeah, Barefoot Kid, you post these facts all the time! I can't think of any thread in this forum which hasn't at least 1 remark of you, and they're all saying the same! :mad:

18. peacefuljeffrey

Look, I don't wanna start something, but sometimes it seems like your posts are just so full of ... embellishments ... that they don't have a ring of truth to them. You supposedly walked around with a thumbtack stuck into your foot all day because to say anything would get you in trouble. Why would you have to "say anything" to just take it out?

And if you've gone barefoot in school for years, doesn't that give lie to the idea of getting in trouble for stepping on a thumbtack, since the notion of your having gone barefoot in school for years sort of comes with the expectation that it has been deemed permissible? Either that or you've successfully concealed your barefootedness for years? Come on.

Just where are you going to school that you go barefoot 100% of the time, anyway?

Blue skies,
    -Jeffrey

19. John_Hip

John_Hip Guest

Hi! I'm new here. I liked to go barefoot as well. In Thursday, it was raining, so I went barefoot to school. Of course everybody was puzzled, but I love it! My feet was really dirty,but I think it was great!

Antony14 likes this.
  20. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Hi John, And Welcome To The Barefooting Section Of Hip Forums...:sunny:

Cheers Glen.