Is ALL tofu gluten-free?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Lilyrayne, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I posted this over in the Vegetarian forum too thinking that was the best place but then I realized maybe I should have put it here... so here it is again...

Does anyone know if ALL tofu is gluten free? Or is it only some brands? I love tofu but have been depriving myself of it since I discovered that gluten makes me sick, because soy sauce has gluten and for some reason whenever I ate veggie patties and whatnot made from soy protein, I got the same reactions. So I assumed soy = gluten.

But the other day I picked up a package of tofu to check something else out and noticed on the back of this one particular package, it said "Gluten free"!!! So happy, I bought some and have been a tofu maniac the past couple of days. But I wondered if other brands of tofu (gluten not mentioned on packages) could have gluten in them? Or is tofu in general gluten free?

I am beginning to wonder if it was WHEY protein (often included in soy-based products) that was making me sick when I ate soy burgers and etc. I know I am allergic to whey for sure. Maybe that was it and I was never allergic to soy to begin with, although I do know that soy sauce has gluten but that could be somethign else in the soy sauce, because vinegars (except basalmic vinegar) have gluten also.

If anyone knows anything about this, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. kayte

kayte Member

don't quote me, but i'm almost positive that simple tofu is gluten free. my friends is severely allergic to gluten, and she munches down on tofu all the time. check out tvp, texturized vegetable protein. it's another good tofu-like gluten free source. and tempeh.

3. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Thanks!!!

4. Barefoot_Surfer

Barefoot_Surfer Member

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

gluten is from wheat and closely related grains (triticale...maybe rye...check that)
    tofu is gluten free, in it's basic form.
    Pete's Tofu 2Go and other prepared tofu can have flour dusting.
    Tempeh can have wheat..check.
    Wheat free soy sauces exist.
    can you say this with me, bree? Go ask at ...The Earth. Kate knows her shit.