Free Yourself From Your Ego...

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by ecstaticvoltage, Jan 5, 2005.

1. ecstaticvoltage

ecstaticvoltage Member

...And Live From Your True self - Your Spirit

If we desire true freedom, freedom from any outside "event" that seeks to tie us down, we need to understand the ongoing struggle that our egos "intend" to have with our True selves. Real freedom begins with the ability to understand that we are the thinker of the thoughts in our heads, but we are not the thoughts themselves. We create these thoughts, but they do not create us. We can exercise our ability to 'watch' these thoughts as they come in and watch them as they leave - and being aware that watching them is a state of strength in itself.

Tell me more about "watching" ...

When I say "watching them", I mean noticing the thoughts or the reactions we have that go on inside of us. When we stop and notice what's really happening as we sense fear, anger, conflict, stress, etc; we'll soon realize that what's really happening is we're having a reaction to something.

a comment
    an occurrence
    a thought

This reaction is similar to a person's fear of the dark, they believe that when it turns dark, that they should be scared. But what would happen if they decided to walk into the dark with no expectation, only a sense of curiousness? I'm not saying to deny that's it's dark, or to affirm:

"I have courage in the dark, I have courage in the dark"

We've learned that this path won't work. Why? Because we're resisting the very fear that's trying to teach us something. We're now learning that fear is our greatest teacher. Fear only intends to help us notice what's really going on - like a wake-up call.

What would happen if we decided to enter into a new possibility in our lives with an open, curious state of child-like innocence?

Can you see how this could make a difference in your life?
    Just imagine how entering into any situation (new or old) with this re-newed awareness can free you and bring you back to your True Self...

Q. What do you mean by the phrase "True Self"
    Answer. Your true self is your Spirit. The part of you that has no boundaries - no limitations. To understand this is to live your life with no real fear. Only your ego fears anything. Your True self - your Spirit - knows that in order to truly free yourself from your ego and its ceaseless mind games, you must face your fears.

A quote from Guy Finley's insightful book "The Secret of Letting Go" reads:

"Just dare to proceed even while being afraid. But remember, your new aim isn't to be courageous or to try to act strong in the face of fear. No. We've seen that this won't work. You simply want to be be more curious about your frightened thoughts and feelings than you want to believe in them. If you follow this simple but Higher Instruction, not only will you start to see these habitual reactions that have been keeping you scared and running, you'll actually start seeing through them."

Notice how Guy says,
    "...not only will you start to see these habitual reactions that have been keeping you scared and running, you'll actually start seeing
    through them"

Seeing through the fear is whatfrees us. The moment we become aware - in other words fully conscious of what's really going on in our lives, in that instant, we have freed ourselves. If on the other hand, when we allow our egos to "run scared", and react in fear, we've already been deceived - even before we've had a chance to move forward.

Today, practice this wisdom in your life. Step back for a moment from your thoughts and notice that you are the thinker of your thoughts, not the thoughts themselves...

Breathe, and just watch like you're watching a movie...

Notice the actors on the stage... You, your boss, your family, your friends, and notice how each interacts, but watch from the audience - or from above the stage. Picture this in your mind now...

You're now becoming aware of how you're not at the mercy of any event. Your True Self now shines through and your false self realizes that struggling won't work any longer.

Q. "How do I know the difference between my True self and my false self" (ego)?
    Answer. Ask yourself, "Which provides me more peace?" And sit back and watch and see how you react to your own routine thoughts and feelings. As you can do this, the light of your True self that once seemed dim will continue to brighten.

Q. "Isn't it better to just move on and not acknowledge the past or the pain?"
    Answer. Trying to move beyond a problem without first understanding it (watching it ) is like asking for directions from someone who has never traveled the land you seek - and with no map. They have been using a map based upon ego - What I call the "map of the ego".

Take a moment today and begin to notice, to watch what's really going on in your life...

Watch, notice and become aware...

As you do, you are
    free...

And so it is...

I stole that from:
    http://www.dreamsalive.com/wisdom3.htm
    By Paul Bauer
    I hope no one minds ;)

- Ecstatic

2. ecstaticvoltage

ecstaticvoltage Member

Sailing through the storm means that you are not at the mercy of what others say or think. The famous psychologist, Abraham Maslow once said: "Learn to be free of the good opinion of others." Think about this just for a moment. If you can be free of the good opinion of others, just think - when they offer thair "bad" opinion to you, you can choose not to accept it.Now, let's take this concept one step further. You can be free of the good opinion of others, which is a major step, ahh, but what if you could be free of the good opinion of your own ego? Now, that my friend is freedom.

What do you mean, be free of your the good opinion of your own ego? How do I do this?

Just sit back and notice your thoughts and reactions to your thoughts. Good or bad. The more you train your mind to be aware of your thoughts (especially those seemingly most difficult times when you are mentally and physically fatigued), the more you gain strength. As the famous philosopher and author, Vernon Howard once wrote: "The very act of noticing is a state of strength in itself".

Sit back and notice your thoughts for just 10 minutes. Let nothing else distract you. Breathe deeply and remind yourself that you are the thinker of your thoughts, not the thoughts themselves. Relax, breathe deeply...

May the warm sun of your imagination flow easily, effortlessly as your Dreams become real...

Once again, hope thats ok ....

- Ecstatic

3. ecstaticvoltage

ecstaticvoltage Member

Buddha taught his students to be here now - in this moment. For this is the only moment we have - as you're reading this wisdom now - this is the only moment you have. This is the place where God is, in this space of time, a time like no other - a time to listen to your Heart, not just your mind - and trusting your Heart's wisdom like you would a trusted friend or loved one. As you read this, think of all the wonderful things you have to be grateful for today. Your health, your job, your intellect, your physical body (your own temple), your home, your friends... the list is as infinite as you are.

Take a moment to reflect... to embrace the real you - the True you that honors people and is creative, the True you that is sacred, as are your Dreams in life...

Pause for a moment...

Breathe...

Listen to the song inside you... that wonderful resonance inside you that longs to be heard...

And when you listen to its sweet call, you are present, you are loved, you are infinite, you are divine. Allow this magnificent feeling to wash over you... to move through you... as if you were on a beautiful sandy beach of your Dreams... smelling the salt sea air... feeling the gentle tradewinds move through your hair... feeling the soft sand at your feet... feeling grounded...

Allowing any stress you may have to just effortlessly wash away with with flow of the tides... Remembering that you are part of the azure ocean before you... it is your Source and you are its beginning...

And so it is...

- Ecstatic

4. Diamond Gord

Diamond Gord Member

Thats all well and good but is teaching someone to be like you not one of the most egocentrical actions someone can partake in?

5. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

clearly it says be you.

6. Diamond Gord

Diamond Gord Member

Yes, but be you by doing as I do.

7. ecstaticvoltage

ecstaticvoltage Member

Be however you want to be, you're free to choose whatever you wish in this life. I just stumbled upon some information and thought someone might find it useful. I'm not saying give up your freedom of choice and become a zombie. Whoever visits the philosophy and religion forum and is interested in this topic can read it and whoever isn't interested can pass it by just like any other post.

8. Diamond Gord

Diamond Gord Member

Sorry if I came across as argumentative, I didn't mean to. I will admit that I have difficulty believing that it is possible to "free" yourself from your ego. I also think that every social interaction that we deliberately enter into is an egocentrical act; we do so wishing a response, as a response in some way feeds our ego.
    So, teaching or telling someone how you act is believing your thoughts to be of some importance to someone else.
    I'm comfortable with my ego, it is what drives me to be good to others as well as to want for myself.
    Maybe I do not have a good enough understanding of the ego and the ways in which people free themselves from it but even the desire to reach enlightenment is still a desire driven by the self.

9. ecstaticvoltage

ecstaticvoltage Member

I see where you're coming from. I guess any type of action is egocentrical though. I'm not sure if it is even possible to "free" youself of your ego. Basic drives will probably remain unless a person undergoes much purification. In NO way am I free from mine.

I doubt reading a few paragraphs of words has the power to free someone of their ego, but if it can point anyone in the right direction that's fine with me. I guess I just liked what the author of those articles had to say and figured at least someone in the hip forums might enjoy reading it.

I really didn't care about what response I would get, but I do have to admit that I hoped someone out there in cyber space would read it. There is so much literature out there that is hardly noticed and it just seems like the internet has so much more potential to help humanity.

10. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

It all seems to depend on how you define the word 'ego'.

Some would say that any sense of self, of a seperate existence, an individual being is ego. In that case, the 'true self' refered to would be only another aspect of ego.
    '..here I am watching my lower self...'