Using Drinking-Alcohol to get THC out of stems

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by recentlysmackedpinat, Dec 10, 2004.

1. recentlysmackedpinat

recentlysmackedpinat Member

I have a huge collection of stems in a jar, and I've noticed that they're fuzzy
    and look like they have crystal residue on them.

So, I heard somewhere that you can use alcohol to dissolve the THC out of
    weed, and I was wondering if it really works.

Here's what I did.. I took the stems and using a coffee grinder, I made them into almost a powder.. took 5 shots of Bacardi Vanilla Vodka (what I had on hand.. it's 35%, nice & strong) and with a funnel, added the stem powder, gave it a good shake, and now it's sitting in my fridge.

THE PLAN: let it sit, then at a later date, using a coffee filter, drain the bottle and leave the stem/matter behind so that I have alcohol w/ thc in it.
    (just for my own consumption, in my own home.. I'll be my own guinea pig).

Does this work? How long does it take for the alcohol to leech the THC?
    How long do I leave it? Think it's worth it with just stems?
    Will it make me sick? Am i wasting my time?

So many questions, but figured it was worth a try, for that rare occasion when I run out.

2. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Of course it works, though you'd be better off with somethign a lot stronger... :rolleyes: Everclear is great for these purposes... :D
    Not sure how long you'll need to leave it, but it won't make you sick... They probably isn't much thc in the stems anyway though... :rolleyes:

3. recentlysmackedpinat

that was my next question. 2 questions.

Is 35 percent bacardi strong enough to do the job (70 proof)
    How long does it take??

4. digitalldj

digitalldj Canucks ftw!

any liquid should be able to disolve the THC off the stems, even water probably, the thing is though using alchohol u probably wont be able to tell if your feeling the THC much because IMO a good buzz will overtake any feelings a little dose of THC will give you.

BTW Bacardi Doesnt make Vodka :p

5. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

THC is non-soluable in water. You could boil off the alcohol too, only on an electric stove, though! (unless you like to burn things, like your kitchen)

6. digitalldj

digitalldj Canucks ftw!

i like that quote in your sig TrippinBTM

7. ThickSmoke

ThickSmoke Member

Take this advice and use ONLY an electric stove. i know from experence kitchen fires are no fun when your high.

8. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

lol 70 proof? nice and strong?:rolleyes:

9. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

(and i think you are wasting your tiem actually because 35% wll get thc out but it would be more than 3 times less efficient i think)

10. recentlysmackedpinat

did i say vodka? ah... I did. I meant rum. If I had it on hand, I'd use bacardi 151 proof.
    I kept the ground stems in there for a week.. it was like a mash more or less.. put some finger hash from the grinder in there too.
    Strained it through a coffee filter, and now the rum slightly murky and light green.
    It tastes almost like the chili-pepper vodka.
    Just took a taste tho.. saving it in the freezer for a free afternoon.. see if it works.
    (taking the alcohol into account of course)
    will mix it with coke and down it.
    wish a brother luck

11. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

dont throw out the stuff you filtered out though, lkeep it for when you have some decent proofed alchohol, because you probably didnt extract it all with that level of alchohol

12. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Just go buy a bottle of everclear dude, it's only like $10, and will make for a much better extraction... :D

13. recentlysmackedpinat

Do they sell everclear in Canada?
    I'll have to get some of that tonight..
    either that or the Bacardi 151.

14. Jointman69

Jointman69 High Nigga Pie

why not buy the alki and then by a bag of weed and just smoke and drink rather then labor thru the process to get a minimal amount of thc?

15. element7

element7 Random fool

hell while you're at it, throw a little wormwood in for kicks. :)

16. recentlysmackedpinat

haha... I'd never use my buds in alcohol.. just happy to smoke it.
    Just the stems, mine of which are covered in crystals, like a layer of white fuzz.
    It seemed like such a waste to just throw them away, and after a while you get a ziplock full of them... you look over and see a bottle of rum and you think... hmmmm...

17. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

i eat them after i chop

18. recentlysmackedpinat

really? I get the idea that I'm getting mixed messages in general about eating pot.
    Even if it's just stems let's treat it the same way.

My basic understanding is that if you were to eat raw buds, like let's say you got pulled ove hypothetically and you panicked and swallowed your stash, it wouldn't get you high.
    You need to heat the THC, in the case of smoking, combust it, for the thc to activate.
    That's kind of the school of thought I've been following...

Or in the case of alcohol, which until this little experiment, I had dismissed as an old wive's tale, the alcohol can dissolve the thc and activate it (still not sure on the 2nd part of that either), righ

Up until now I had just smoked it cos I know it works 100%.
    I tried making butter once with a 1/4 oz of bud to make brownies but they didn't do anything, and during the years I've smoked, I've saved up a jar full of stems, many with a lot of dust on them, and it seemed a shame to waste them.

chewin on stems.. done that many times. better than a toothpick. tastes better too

19. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

One- Get Everclear
    2 - use an oz to a half gram. Too much is a lot better than too little
    Shake the shit out of it for about and hour ever other hour for about 3 circulations. The more the better.
    Open the container and leave it open for 24 hours. Boil off the excess alcohol that did not evaporate on a very low heat on an electric stove. The vapors are hevier than air, gas WILL ignite it. Not may, WILL.
    Then drink the final product. You may want to mix it with some tea as its quite potent.