Oops United States Tennis Association Apologise For Playing Nazi-Era Anthem

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by MorphGirl, Feb 12, 2017.

1. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Someone should have done a little better with their research on th Internet. This version sung and performed live was written and used before the nazi era, but has since changed.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/12/us-tennis-nazi-era-anthem-germany-fed-cup-match-deutschlandlied

2. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

This dosnt make any sense. Why would they....there are too many things that don't make sense. I will be easier to ask the question "why wouldn't they"

No that makes no sense either. I'm confused.

3. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Well apparent there is a version that was written before ww2, in 1842 and in no way was associated with nazis when it was written. I do not believe this was meant as an insult. Many anthems don't change. it is an old version ... original I think prior to ww2 and the shame of what nazis brought to German people... of what happened ... so words that took on new meanings with nazis. I think that anthem continued into the 1990s and was used to unify the east and west when the wall came down? Could be wrong on that.

It was a big mistake, countries should supply music and lyrics in th future to their anthem.

I guess they got the lyrics from the Internet and picked the wrong ones.

Here is the history of theiir national anthem.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Deutschlandlied

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

We are above all though just sayin. =p

1 person likes this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Silence the anthem and burn the flag! Red, white, black are our true colors. =|

6. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

I don't know if you watched the video, but the singer will be remembered for this, not his voice. Did you watch the video? Maybe just turn off the sound and watch. You know how when they sing anthems at these events they always show the people, athletes from that country showing their patriotism and singing along? The 4th girl is looking around smiling at her team mates ... and has a look of is this really happening, what are we suppose to do, and looks like she laughs at one point. But they. put their arms around each other and sing the correct words... :) and the crowds who were German stood and sang the correct words too. There was not much of An applause... the singer and the organisers must have been so confused. I think the applause came from other people from other countries, out of respect.

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

you guys are long overdue for starting another world war