Generation Z Is Fucked

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Joshua Tree, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

No, just close to it ;) in seriousness: we dont blame mainly one person for it. It just happened when industries, economies and populations were growing. It's logical we didn't anticipate all the bad that came with it. And it also did us a lot of good as well of course. But now that the knowledge is out there we can't ignore the negative consequences of our industrialized consumer societies anymore... unless you're an apathic or selfish individual

1 person likes this.
  2. morrow

morrow Visitor

I also don't take it personal, just people actually insinuated it was mally and I..

I do think those now contemplating their future, have to find their way..

I remember Margaret Thatcher telling everyone to go find work, you don't have to stay on your doorstep! People in the UK migrated across the UK, in a big way!

What's true, is our governments, the ones voted in, make our lives and country what it is. In the UK, it's conservatives!
    Our national health service is a mess. People dieing waiting for treatment, yes it's true, my own mum was a victim of this, and why? Well, try going to a doctor's practice, or the a and e depth of a local hospital, there are too many waiting lists, and why? Well I will leave you to guess that!

The great Britain that was, for its benefits and health care, is in the past..Now, old people a dieing of cold and hunger, children are homeless, and sick people are peniless! What the conservatives are now trying to do to our health care, and benefit system, will it's self act as a stop for immigrants, there will be no reason to come here soon, but what about the people who are not immigrants?

Roll on Wednesday, get Brexit sorted!

3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I too try to keep down my consumption levels.I try to buy as little new stuff as I can, or at least buy stuff that's made to last. The worst thing is the car I suppose, but as I'm ill and can't walk any great distance without trouble, I kind of justify having one to myself. Also have relatives even more fucked up than me who rely on me for lifts.
    I never fly anywhere though, try to eat local organic food, recycle my waste as much as possible. Generally support environmental causes.

As individuals though we can only do so much.

Trouble is that a huge number of people don't give a shit as long as they get the luxury life-style to which they feel entitled.

1 person likes this.
  4. Asmodean

^
    Agreed :) And yes there's only so much we can do as individuals and lots of people use that as an excuse to not do anything at all :p If only every individual tried to make that conscious effort.. It's not by default about never going on holiday or get rid of your car ;) Every person should try compensate their waste and pressure on the environment in their own way. The changes will be amazing.

That's indeed how i pay the few bills i have and be able to buy some luxury items like my weekly amount of pot and the occasional concert ticket :cheers2: I often feel like im one of the happiest people on the planet :p edit: and not just when i light one up! :p

1 person likes this.
  5. morrow

morrow Visitor

Because it was means tested, the first year..And both parents were working, we paid for some, she paid the rest..Her part time job didn't keep her..But I personally paid her tuition fees, board, and food bill..Me!
    Strange though, I worked with a girl who's x husband worked with mine, but because they were divorced, they paid nothing..Pissed me off that no end!

6. BlackBillBlake

That's down to vagaries of the system though. The principle of free education was there, and has now been removed. Tuition was free until 1998 when Labour brought in a 1,000 per year fee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuition_fees_in_the_United_Kingdom

7. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

8. BlackBillBlake

We need governments and big corporations to change their ways if we're going to see meaningful change. Sadly, it looks like the US and UK governments are going in the opposite direction. Trump is a climate change denier, the UK will rip up European regulation after brexit.
    I still think though that we should do what we can as individuals. Thing is though that a certain amount of self-denial may be necessary, whilst the culture seems only to support self-indulgence.

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

People have been conditioned to expect too much,at the expense of what is really valuable in life.

1 person likes this.
  10. Asmodean

As has been pointed out: everything comes in circles. Looking at the last 200 years or so we may have put an enormous increase of pressure on the environment but we have also been enormously increasing our knowledge and insight and both individuals and governments have reacted positively to it. To expect a chronical progressive line in governmental rule nonstop is maybe a setup for disappointment. But I don't expect the current change in UK and US government to last forever ;)

11. BlackBillBlake

The thing is though how much time do we have to wait for the political wheel to turn the other way? Personally, from all I read about climate change, de-forestation and the rest, it looks like not that much.
    But we'll see.

12. JOABBB

JOABBB Members

Every generation has it’s challenges.

The challenges that face Generation Z are insignificant compared to the challenges that faced previous centurions and millennials…
    ....depressions, droughts, famine, plagues, civil wars, world wars...

Completely agree. My parents lived through the great depression. My dad slept in an unheated porch with a bed warmer in Chicago. He didn't have air conditioning until he was in his 70s and still rarely used it. My mom talked about graduating in 1942 and looking at the men in her class knowing how many would die in the war.

The Greatest generation ever.

1 person likes this.
  13. Asmodean

Edit: @BB

Agree with that too. Once we take too much it will be irreversibele... But thats on countries like Brasil etc as well. Not everything depends on UK (or even :p ;)) USA government.

1 person likes this.
  14. BlackBillBlake

Yes - the issues are all global. Yet another reason I'm not at all comfortable with this rise of new nationalisms. To solve the mess we're going to need global action:)

15. morrow

morrow Visitor

Exactly what I said...Great post!

16. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Coming generations will have to deal with rampant automation.I mean robots and AI doing a lot of the work humans do now.There will be less jobs to go around unless new industries are created,and more money going into social care of the elderly and provision for mental health.A whole scale change in the structure and organization of society is needed.It will have to be people driven,so that those in power will listen and act.No one else will do it for you.

1 person likes this.
  17. BlackBillBlake

We need to look at all our socio-economic structures as well as power hierarchies and find new and better models. Probably giving everyone a basic income is going to have to be part of that. The old notions of work and reward will have to be replaced in the face of robotization.
    Way I see it, pretty much everything is going to have to change.

Back in the 60's Buckminster Fuller wrote that our choice as humans is between utopia or oblivion. We need to seriously take on board the possibility, or even probability of the latter, and try to work towards the first option.

18. JoanPercs

JoanPercs Members

Very much agreed, and remember guys it will all be fine - "the dude abides"