Radiation At Japan's Crippled Fukushima Atomic Plant Soaring!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Meagain, Feb 8, 2017.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Radiation at reactor #2 has suddenly risen to 530 sieverts per hour, up from the 73 sieverts an hour recorded previously.

​One sievert can cause radiation sickness and nausea, 5 sieverts will kill 50% of those exposed within a month, and 10 sieverts will kill in a few week.

Dark lumps have been detected that appear to be the melted rods.

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I guess the radiation will even effect the robot that they are planning on sending in. I feel bad for the poor people living in the terrible aftermath of such a devastating event.

1 person likes this.
  3. MeAgain

That reminds me of an old computer game called Countdown to Shutdown. You had a limited number of robots to send down into a crippled nuke plant and shut it down, but radiation would knock them out.

http://youtu.be/PENwKBAT-No​

4. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

I'll bet all that radiation is still spilling into the pacific and collecting at the north pole and washing up on the west coast. Some guy from the nuclear power industry was arguing online when it first started melting down that nuclear power was the safest and cleanest, when I pointed out the one thing those with money and power are not famous for is brains or a conscience. They built cheap nuclear reactors in the most earthquake and tsunami prone part of the world that required external pumps and then threw up a berm wall around them just high enough that the last tsunami to hit there wouldn't go over it. The company that ran the facility was busted repeatedly over a five year period for fraud and not maintaining safety protocols, then stacked the damned spent rods practically right on top of the reactors. And, Japanese companies and their legal system are infamous for not cracking down on industries!

Assuming they can keep it from continuing to contaminate the entire world, the only good thing that came out of this so far is that US reactors immediately started moving their spent fuel rods away from the reactors. How many more disasters like this are just waiting to happen is anyone's guess.

5. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This is horrible.

They say it will take 4 decades to fix it.

All the crap that people argue about all over the world...Can you imagine if that energy was spent trying to fix the real problems?

Again, this is horrible.

1 person likes this.
  6. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have no words any more to describe how I feel to news such as this......It is devastating for people, animals, ocean life and on and on.....

I also do not have any words anymore to people who do not care about the environment and insist on a President that does not care about it either, where more incidents like this could occur....I donot know how that would make me spoiled, and a cry baby and needing a strict father figure President. i need a President who cares about this planet, as a whole.....
    I wish people would explain to me, how they can justify trashing the world any further, and knowingly.

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

historically speaking nuclear is the safest and cleanest, BUT when it does fuck up, it fucks up BIG TIME!

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Too bad humans couldnt even keep their waste away from oceanic life :(

9. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

That was the point I made to the nuclear industry flunky, is that neither the politicians nor the industry leaders have shown anything like the kind of wisdom required to deal with nuclear waste and power plants. Calling it cleaner and safer in light of the complete and total disaster at Fukushima that is still irradiating roughly 1/3 of the world with radioactive waste that will require millions of years to die down is a joke in very bad taste. There are some 450 nuclear power plants in the world today and another 60 being constructed and already five of them have had serious problems with Chernobyl having to be entombed and Fukushima not even capable of being entombed when it should be. The planet would likely be less polluted by a limited nuclear war!

10. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

And people have been LIED to about how bad it is!!!! (Its worse than they ever admit)

11. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The robot lasted about an hour.

1 person likes this.
  12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

domo arigato mister roboto

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

There seem to be only half a dozen or so countries that have 10 or more nuclear power plants

US has 99
    China 35
    Canada 19
    France 58
    India 22
    Japan 43
    Sth Korea 25
    Russia 35
    Ukraine 15 (that's scary)
    UK has 15

The UK has 15, I didn't know that, that's idiotic IMO, how many people get affected jammed into those little islands if one goes into meltdown.

Pakistan has 4, Egypt is planning on 2, Saudi Arabia planning 20
    All very scary

Not worth it again IMO there are already a dozen places on the planet uninhabitable becuase of nuclear accidents, testing.

Hopefully we are only a couple decades away from civil fusion reactors

14. MeAgain

Your U.S. number is off by 1/2 as Three Mile Island only operates one unit...the other one partially melted down.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

And three mile island is only half a mile long and 1/4 mile wide
    It should be Half Mile Island

16. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Now we're going to have the Chinese come and build us more. Assuming the new love affair with Trump doesn't alienate us from them.

Can't be bothered to look it up now, but I read that the Irish sea off Britain's west coast is the most radioactive in the world thanks to the Windscale plant where they've had several accidents over the years. Maybe the seas around Fukushima have now taken top spot.

17. BlackBillBlake

2 people like this.
  18. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

BlackBill, that is the saddest , most disturbing news ever....:(
    Heartbreaking.....
    Yes, I am a cry baby with news like that.....all day for days.....

Indian Point, which is about 60 miles away from me, and always a fear is closing by 2020 here...YAY!
    I hope nothing bad happens before....and where do they contain the radiocative material when they close these down?
    I always worried about Indian Point..It is right near the Hudson River.....

I worry about all of these places.

1 person likes this.
  19. BlackBillBlake

Sorry to be a bearer of unpleasant news.

It's a little bit freaky for me, because when I was kid, we used to go to the Welsh coast (on the Irish sea) regularly, where I and my bro would spend as much time in the water as we could stand (sea is not warm here). Later, I took my daughter there too. We were swimming in what is effectively a radioactive soup. I've even eaten fish caught on rod and line in that sea.
    So far I'm not glowing in the dark - but I doubt it can have done much good.

One day, the UK could see a serious nuclear accident. Given the density of population, it would wreak complete havoc. As it is, we actually take spent fuel from other countries for re-processing.

In my humble opinion, we should be putting everything into renewables, and cleaning up the toxic legacy of nuclear.

20. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

I remember reading in the newspapers of Japan pouring the radioactive waters in the pacific, till China complained about it.

Perhaps they may still be pouring it to the ocean clandestinely as it is cost-effective, and aquatic life is not considered accountable.