Watercolor Pencils

Discussion in 'Art' started by archenemy, Feb 6, 2017.

1. archenemy

archenemy Members

my sister bought me a pkg of watercolor pencils this past Christmas. any of u artists try them before? What do u think of them? I have not tried yet...cuz im doing a graphite drawing currently.

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes, I have them and use them once in awhile. They are wonderful to use, as you can sharpen the point for the finest details. Have fun with them!.

1 person likes this.
  3. fundoo

fundoo Members

have not tried them yet, but that was the other thing on my list! I like working with pencils. I loooove the colored pencils with the erasers!! And I like watercolors. But putting them together is brilliant!! I mean, as Moonglow said, you can use the point for details, while also creating the watercolor ambiance with the water (?and brush tip? are they dual-tip? oh, or maybe kit comes with a bristol brush)

4. DJammies

DJammies Members

I second the previous posters here. I haven't used them myself but know a couple artists that use it quite a bit. Looks like you can get fantastic results with them! It's a pretty versatile medium.

5. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

So...they're easier to control the flow, the bleeding, than traditional water colors are?

I was thinking about doing w.c. pencils as my next medium. Right now I do colored pencil, dry pastels, and colored sharpies. (those usually used for the outlining in a pastel work when I need a bold and finer line than a sharpened pastel chalk can render.)

Eventually I am going to use acrylics. And then of course I'll have to do the oil canvas. But I was thinking about adding the w.c. pencils to my arsenal. with the colored pencils and the pastels I do mostly abstract stuff. Like Kadisnsky and Rothko. Sometimes I'll do an abstract-expressionism. I just tried a cubist drawing the other day. It was fun! I could get into that genre.

Let me know about those w.c. pencils, please. Thanks.

6. Moonglow181

Water color pencils are like drawing with pencils.....and you know that is easier than using a brush. I always feel like I am cheating when I use them, though....but they are good sometimes......I never draw my paintings first. I just paint with brushes......but yes, drawing is much easier with pencils than with brushes..

Show us some of your artwork sometime. I would love to see your cubism.

7. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

I don't get it. If watercolor pencils are like drawing, than they would be like colored pencils.

Have you really used them before? LOL

I was told you dipped them in water or something in order to get the watercolor effect. Or brushed the line on the paper with a wet brush.

8. Moonglow181

What are you challenging that what I say isn't the truth????!!!!
    Yes, i have water color pencils, and I have worked with them, and yes, you do have to wet them first, but they are still in a pencil form.

9. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Thanks for clarifying.

So....do I need to use watercolor paper for the w.c. pencils too? Or, since they're not as runny as real w.c. with the brushes, can I use my current Pastel's paper--which, as you know, is not as porous as the w.c. paper. But I know that sometimes you can fudge a bit with the papers, since I use the "colored pencil" paper for pastels too.

Thanks.

10. Moonglow181

Yes, I am sure you will be fine using the watercolor pencils on any paper that you would make a watercolor on.....most paper is fine.

11. Moonglow181