Repeal The Hughes Amendment And Nfa

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maccabee, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

I doubt on a forum like this there would be many people who would sign something like this but I thought I'd give it a shot (pun kinda intended). These petitions are asking to repeal the NFA and the Hughes amendment. The NFA is a list of firearms that are restricted. Things like suppressors (silencers), automatic weapons, short barreled rifles and shotguns, etc. Repealing the NFA would make these items as available as a hunting rifle or pistol provided that you pass a background check. The Hughes amendment bans any automatic weapon made after 1986 altogether. While the few gun rights advocates sign these petitions I'd like to hear why these laws should remain on the books. No one has yet gave a good answer when I asked elsewhere. Here are the petitions.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-nfa

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-1986-hughes-amendment

2. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

What a stupid idea! We need more, not less, such restrictions.

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Why does anyone need an automatic weapon?

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

To shoot more animals, fight the gub'mnt, and kill more school kids when they get pissed.

5. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

a good reason to ban these weapons is because of all the refugees that some people are trying to get into the country

6. Maccabee

Evidence?

7. Maccabee

For the same reason why some people need a Lamborghini. It isn't about need its about the freedom to choose what I want.

1 person likes this.
  8. Maccabee

You obviously have a vendetta against law abiding gun owners.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Are you in favor of bombs being legal too? Ive never been able to understand where and why people draw the line, but clearly there is a line and most people are fine with it, no one is marching for the right to own bombs, grenades, etc.

Automatic weapons can inflict a lot of damage in a short amount of time, personally i would draw the line there.

10. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

i am not in favor to legalize bombs...but anyone with half a brain can make one so it dosnt really matter

11. lode

lode Banned

Here's another thought on that.

Rifles have a purpose. Hunting. Handgun's have legitimate self defense uses. Shotguns are used for both.

Automatic Rifles are simply human slayers. They have no other purpose than warfare. Of course a lot of people just like them. But that's not their utility.

1 person likes this.
  12. Maccabee

Actually yes. As long as you store it correctly.

Actually that isn't true. The military uses them mostly for covering fire. Keep in mind that everything you think is too much (except for nukes) is legal to the general public. It's just that they are hard to get. Crimes were such items were used were few and far between even before they were restricted.

13. Maccabee

And Lamborghinis are nothing but speed limit breakers and therefore should be banned. Machine guns are used for covering fire. And in order to do that you'll need a gun that weighs 29 lbs and a long 200 round belt.

14. lode

lode Banned

15. Maccabee

16. lode

lode Banned

False analogy. You're conflating a sports car that can break the speed limit which is illegal to assault rifles which can kill people which is also illegal. It's not equivalent morally. Speeding vs slaughtering a dozen people, so it's a false analogy. Or apples to grenades if you prefer.

17. Maccabee

How are they not equal?

18. diesel#

diesel# Members

I've signed my life away on those. Thanks for posting

19. diesel#

diesel# Members

The hearing protection act would be good for everyone. The shooter, your neighbors that get annoyed when you go out to shoot, etc...
    I'm all in favor of repealing the NFA. Restricting short barreled rifles, for example, makes no sense. Other than gaining maneuverability, a short barrel doesn't make it more lethal.
    We should be allowed to own machine guns, but (I know there's a BUT) I'd want whomever buys one to demonstrate competence before they're allowed to walk out of the store with it. A lot of folks can't handle automatic fire, and that would make that person unsafe at the range when we go to shoot.

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

LOL...you not very bright.

Why you say it isn't about practicality of purpose; hunting, but rather because "you want it" and yet you cite making these weapon types and modifications available for hunting use?
    Not only do you contradict yourself but you obviously don't know a fucking thing about guns or hunting.
    A silencer is lame, impractical and dangerous for use on a hunting weapon.
    It greatly reduces muzzle velocity and to be truly effective you should use rounds that don't exceed 800-900fps muzzle velocity therefore limiting range and stopping power so it is an asinine modification for hunting.

An automatic weapon for hunting...LOL
    any hunter that would ever consider using a full auto weapon is a moron. Have you ever fired a full auto weapon?
    I have, MAC 10 and an AR15, full auto is VERY fucking hard to control and in a hunting environment asinine, dangerous and horribly inaccurate
    if you can't cleanly take down your quarry with one shot, you have no business hunting.

short barreled rifles and shotguns for hunting....LOL
    talk about limited short range and poor accuracy.

not to mention that every one of those modifications were specifically designed for combat weaponry, not for hunting.
    only a dumbass would think those features apply to hunting weapons.

for someone who goes on and on about gun rights and shit you really are completely ignorant of the actual topic.