Tubal Ligation

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by RiderOnTheStorm2.0, Feb 1, 2017.

1. RiderOnTheStorm2.0

RiderOnTheStorm2.0 Lizard Kween Lifetime Supporter

I am undergoing voluntary laparoscopic tubal ligation surgery in 30 days. Has anyone else had this procedure? What was your experience with it? What was your recovery like, how has it changed your life since getting the surgery, any regrets, etc. I'm nervous about it because I have never had any surgery before, nor have I ever been under any form of anesthesia other than local numbing agents at the dentist's office. However, I am very excited, happy, and looking forward to having the surgery. I am not looking for moral judgments on my decision, only for personal insight and experiences so I can form a better idea of what to expect, outside of the clinical aspect of understanding the intricacies of the procedure itself.

2. sugarmag1963

sugarmag1963 Members

Hi sweetie, I have had this procedure. It was a long time ago, however I do know that gas is still used to extend the stomach. The only problem I had was with the gas that is left in your body it isn't pleasant, quite frankly it hurts, but not as bad as giving birth :) much luck and healing to you

3. John1234567

John1234567 Members

Apparently my brother was conceived after this procedure was done so my wife made me get neutered instead. I know my sister seemed to become more of a b@&$h since her operation.

4. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I had discomfort for a few days, more from the gas and the stitches. A little bit of cramping but nothing that was painful, more just there. After a week felt like nothing had change and life went back to normal.

All the best to you and happy healing. :)

5. RiderOnTheStorm2.0

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I've read about the gas they use and how the stomach can be distended for awhile, but I'm happy to hear that the pain /recovery seems to be relatively tolerable, short-lived, and easily treated. Thanks for the well wishes. :) Cheers to bodily autonomy!

6. F6C

F6C Members

Sorry no knowledge whatsoever - but good luck with the surgery and hope you recover quickly....

7. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

Before surgery buy some gas-x (simethicone) and make sure to take it as soon as possible after surgery. The bloating from the gas used to inflate the abdomen is probably one of the worst parts of the surgery, IMO. Hold a pillow on your abdomen when getting up or down, to guard your sore belly. It's not horrible, but expect it to be uncomfortable for a bit. . I was back to work after a few days, and pretty close to normal in about two weeks. Make sure to stay well hydrated, and avoid constipation (ew, I know, but trust me you don't want to get backed up). Just don't push recovery, and you will do fine

Good luck, and I wish you a speedy recovery. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

(There is a site called Hystersisters that is a wealth of information, and supportive women who have gone through a tubal and more.)

1 person likes this.
  8. RiderOnTheStorm2.0

Thanks, Eden! That's some solid advice. I will pack my Gas-X and some soluble fibre. I work from home, so hopefully, as soon as I get home, I will at least feel up to sitting at my laptop for a few hours a day to minimize how much work I miss. My doctor prepared me for a 2-4 week recovery period, and warned me about overexertion and careful showering to avoid complications with the stitches, etc Another question, is there any scarring from the incision(s)?

9. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

When you first get home, you will likely just want to go to bed and sleep. Give yourself at least a day or two to get most of the gas and anesthesia out of your body before trying to work.

After the surgery, you will get bloated if you overdo it (even just walking a lot can do it). The bloating can sometimes last for weeks or months (randomly on and off). So, listen to your body. You will get post op instructions. Follow them! Even if you feel good, give yourself adequate time to heal. If the hospital doesn't send you home with one, a soft, small pillow to hold against your belly is extremely helpful. I hope you will have someone with you the first 2-3 days, as you may need help sitting up to get out of bed, etc. Sore belly sucks!!! It will pass though.

Final note, pick up some Nexcare bandages. They are waterproof and will help keep your incision sites clean and dry when you shower. Get them a little bigger than you think you will need. CVS, Walgreens, etc should carry them.
    This is what they look like: https://c4.q-assets.com/images/products/p/mmm/mmm-011_1z.jpg

10. morrow

morrow Visitor

If the gas bothers you. Great tip..Get on your hands and knees on your bed! Works too,
    Good luck with the surgery. Scars won't even be visible after a year.

11. Luz Angélica

Luz Angélica Members

What happened with this? Did you go through with it? I'm not making a moral judgment here, as the only person affected by this decision is you. I am making a value judgment, however: my opinion is that there's no good reason to do it as there are many ways of expressing sexuality which don't involve penetration and therefore don't carry any risk of pregnancy. Complications can arise from tubal ligation and make your life hell; the safest thing to do is not to alter the functioning of your reproductive system (or any part of your body) in any way and simply abstain from risky forms of sexuality. Penetration isn't the be-all and end-all by any means; external clitoral stimulation feels just as good if not better.