Cold Climate, Indoor Gardening.

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by makihiko, Feb 1, 2017.

1. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

Hello!

So, a few weeks ago I bought a cheap little potted plant from the grocery story, a few days later, it bloomed and pretty much died. it is still alive, but its a very yellowish green. I have the plant in a room with a deccent amount of light.

It's a hyacinth. I'm not too worried about this one. but I was wondering what plants I could have indoors? I live in alberta, so we dont get tonnes of light, sunsets at 5pm still.

2. Dental_Floss

Dental_Floss Members

Christmas cactus if you're not familiar there is tons of info on them. Flowers around christmas time, makes a great hanging plant (it grows over the sides) but doesn't have to be and is easy to care for and long lived.

[​IMG]

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I just saw this list, yesterday, on Pinterest.

[​IMG]

Asmodean, farmerdon and Heat like this.
  4. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

Thanks for the advise! I will be moving soon, to a place with HUGE windows, but I will try putting some of these plants in the dark areas of the house, just to see if I can actually do it!

5. Sparkle Princess

Sparkle Princess Members

6. onceburned

onceburned Banned

any plant uses the c02 you exhale, and releases oxygen into the air

7. You could try building a greenhouse for all your plants so that you can still garden outside.
    It works for cold climates.

8. Philodendron is almost impossible to kill, sun, no sun, wet, dry... it doesn't matter. It vines, so you can drape it where ever you want and if you cut off a piece of the vine that has a little node under the leaf, you can put it in water or moist soil and it will grow roots, making another plant. I had one I had forgotten about for over a year, in an area we were renovating, tossed all the dead plants into a plastic garbage bag and left it off in the corner for a few weeks, finally remembered to take it out to the compost pile, dumped the bag and was shocked to see the philodendron regrowing. That was 17 years ago, I still have it.

9. WhatJustHappened

WhatJustHappened Members

Succulents......
    But I’m not a botanist.

Aloe Vera
    Chinese money tree.

Crassula ovata
    (I have one it’s bulletproof it doesn’t even need soil, 1-2mm gravel, water once a month...maybe! It is thriving!)

MoonGoddess likes this.
  10. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

To the OP. It sounds like a deficiency of nitrogen. Try some liquid fertiliser, You could try re-potting the plant in a hydroponic mix.There are many books written on the subject.

11. No, it's not a deficiency, it's just the plants natural cycle. Hyacinth is a spring flowering bulb, once it has bloomed it will begin to die back to the bulb until the next spring. Keeping it as an indoor plant you should wait for the top part to die back and then store the bulbs in a cool, dark place, dry but slightly humid conditions are best. Then you have to plant them, water them, and force them by putting them in the fridge to simulate winter conditions. Once they come out to room temperature they will grow and bloom again. The alternative, which I prefer, is just to plant them outside and let nature do it's thing. If you get them in the spring as a flowering plant you can just plant it or wait for the bloom to be done and plant it. If you want to grow Hyacinth but didn't get a flowering plant in the spring, wait till fall and plant bulbs that will then flower in the spring.