Being Canadian

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MorphGirl, Jan 30, 2017.

1. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i dissagree

my experience is that when you ask an immigrant what they are they ALWAYS say their old nationality

there are no candians here from ukraine or italy or latvia ....etc....they ALWAYS give their "old country" nationality when asked...even the ones who have been here since WWII ...sometimes even their children who were born here

2. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

But spaceman, if they say the old country they are from do you hear it hyphenated?

In Toronto there are many from tons of backgrounds ethnicities who will say they are Canadian or the old country. I generally don't hear it hyphenated

3. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Spiff, do they say canadian-Italian. Or Latvian-Canadian?

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

they dont use the canadian

in speech

i have no idea what they would write as i tend to talk to friends and neighbours and we dont send each other letters or postcards

5. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

What about you spaceman? What do you refer to yourself as, say if you are travelling?

6. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

I see this as much ado about nothing. Does it matter if I call myself an American, a French-Irish-American (dad's family has been traced back to Quebec in the 1600's, mom's came to NYC in the great waves of Irish immigration that came through Ellis Island) or just a typical American mutt (An American of mixed lineage)?

First and foremost I'm an American. I don't care where you are from, what religion you practice (or don't), what color your skin is or who you love but rather what matters to me is how you treat me and other folks.

1 person likes this.
  7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i dont travel

8. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

I am Canadian. Torontonian. It is about how you treat people. :)

the use of hyphenation is just not common in Canada When spoken and I like that.

I will just assume since you don't want to say. :). Thanks for your contribution and insight you have provided in this thread. Lol. Cheers

9. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What you say here resonates true with me, too...I would have just added how you treat people and animals.....That is no secret about me, though.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I, am now also a Canadian. :)
    I've decided.

1 person likes this.
  11. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

Korean Canadian Cultural Association
    The National African Canadian Association
    Italian-Canadian Cultural Association
    Jamaican Canadian Cultural Association of British Columbia
    Chinese Canadian Cultural Association
    Korean Canadian Cultural Association
    Guyanese Canadian Cultural Association of BC
    Dutch Canadian Club
    German Canadian Cultural Association
    Irish Canadian Society

there is several thousand variations of every country with immigrants in Canada...business associations, cultural societies, private schools, restaurants etc etc etc

problem is the OP used such an accurate survey what with those 5 foreign companions that its kinda hard to argue against that....it was the Ethiopian dude that convinced me

3 people like this.
  12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm a chinese Canadian :sifone:

2 people like this.
  13. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

Im a Hipforumian

1 person likes this.
  14. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Australian Canadian Here.......[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

1 person likes this.
  15. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i'm a hoser ...

[​IMG]

16. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

I will give you lessons in how to properly use the word eh, teach you how to say Toronto like a person from turonno... and when you get your citizenship we will have a Canadian beer or whiskey, since they are both really mastered trades here... eat back bacon then I will get you a toque with a pompom. you will learn that Canadians do not say aboot and then we will go tobogganing... take the stairs of the cn tower because it is cheaper... stand at lake Louise while holding a 20 dollar bill in hand with the same image that is behind us on the bill.. see Niagara Falls and learn the boundary between Canada and the USA ... we will wave to them... smiling.... see the hockey hall of fame Some people seem to think that a cultural center depicts people here actually referring to themselves as such. They don't. Lol. Wondering how long they spent trying to make a list and an invalid point, Lol. You are canadian after all, you have decided to be a part of afterall. Then we will go to the east and the west coast and learn how large this country truly is. 4.5 hours time difference e from the East coast to the west coast. We don't sleep in igloos either. :)

1 person likes this.
  17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Here we are. :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I agree with you as that has always been my experience as well.

To be honest I have had the same experience in the US that they don't give me a hyphenated version there either.

19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hmmm.

Fascinating.