Being Canadian

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MorphGirl, Jan 30, 2017.

1. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Canadians don't play the hyphenated game that Americans do. We are all just Canadian in my experience people wil say I am Canadian from where ever. Like I had classmates from Nigeria, he was Nigerian and now Canadian from Nigeria. Same with people from china, they are Canadian from china originally. , etheopean, same thing. They are all Canadian. Same for polish, Italian, Russian and so on.

There are Canadians with darker skin who have no cultural identifiers. They are simply Canadian or they are from country/region x and have become Canadian. They are not black. They are etheopian, nigerian, South African, etc...

A persons cultural heritage is seperate from being Canadian. This is what I have experienced. That someone would care about the colour of someone's skin and not the person they are or their abilities is incomprehensible to me. I do not distinguish into subtypes based on religion, gender, or race, ethnicity.

2. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What about the eskimos? Are they Canadian too?
    I'm not sure why I just never think of Canada as a place to travel but I would like to see more of the mountain scenery and big frozen lakes and glaciers.. and meet the Eskimos :)

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Learning the hundred names for snow or whatever it is might come in handy.

5. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Well it is true. Not sure why Americans find this concept funny... I guess they don't relate But nice of you to contribute. Lol

6. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Lol. Well here they are called Inuit people and yes Canadian too. They are Canadian. Eskimo was a name given and means eater of raw meat and is used in Alaska commonly not in Canada so much. I think they are Yupik in Alaska.

And yeah. Lake Louise is a must see ... have you been there or been to Canada? :)

7. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

There is more than one name for snow? Snow is snow but there are conditions of snow.

Don't worry, if you call it snow people will know what you mean. Lol

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You're aware that being canadian is not a uniform experience right?

The inuit language has around 100 words for all kinds of snow. Curious that this seems a common fun fact over here and in the states (or where's Ged from) but not in Canada itself :p

1 person likes this.
  9. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Being human is not a uniform experience either, this does not make someone less than human.

Lol. I seriously never heard this. Are you sure these other words are not just descriptions of conditions? wet, powder,, ultra light, champagne, corn, styrofoam, death cookies is ice chips in the snow. Corn is loose kernels, balls of snow. Styrofoam is a heavy snow that is dense and heavy, thick, crackles when you walk on it. I think their words are descriptive of conditions and not really all meaning the same thing, but has been misinterpreted by people who do not speak the language or fully understand it . :). And hey, while we're at it let's make fun of them for it. Brilliant idea. :)

10. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

most americans are the same way, we just call each other americans. but the squeaky wheel gets the oil. in this case the squeaky wheel is the SJW's that want to categorize everyone so they can call people racist when it looks like any one group of people are not getting the opportunities that other groups of people get.

as for the snow thing, i heard it was in the low 30s of how many words they have for snow.
    and it would be like saying its raining, its pouring, its drizzling, its misty out.
    but for snow.

1 person likes this.
  11. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

This is good to know. :). I really thought everyone in the USA defined themselves. Lol. I stand corrected *happy dance*

12. Asmodean

Yeah... not sure if you think 'being less' than another human has anything to do with what you're reacting to. That not every canadian has the same experience (or perception of) being a canadian as you doesn't make them less of a canadian (and neither was it implied). So yeah, i don't get this reaction.

13. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Sorry, nuances are sometimes lost.

Being human and being Canadian are the same thing. Not every human has the same experience., They are still human. Not every Canadian has the same experience, they are still Canadian.

And let me add there are Acadians in Canada. They are Canadian. Something some seem completely unaware of and I don't mean you asmo. :) I would not expect you to have even heard of Acadians. :). Which are called Cajun in the USA

14. Asmodean

So why did you wrote the OP?

15. Asmodean

What if a chinese or nigerian canadian primarily sees (and calls) themselves as a chinese or nigerian person (but with canadian citizenry and no intent to go back to their country of birth)? Does it make them less of a canadian than the picture you painted in OP? Why/why not?

16. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

No it does not but generally it is not happening here, the hyphenating. Canadians are Canadians from any ethnicity under the sun. If the person identifies themselves as Chinese they will say I am Chinese. I would not ask though, irrelevant to the person they are. As I get to know someone I might ask more personal questions, questions that do not define who they are as an individual.. questions about about their families, sibling etc,...

17. Asmodean

18. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Because it is true. I have not said anything different. Is there something you are reading as conflictiing?

19. Asmodean

No i just see it as one canadian's perception and a generalisation. As long as it is ment as a generalisation about the 'average canadian' it might be true enough.
    But you do not make threads about how cows have utters, which is also the truth :p You don't wanna tell the motivation for making this thread? Or don't you know why you really made it?

20. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

I didn't know people needed to explain why they made threads or topics, I will keep that in mind. This is the Canadian section, seemed like a good place. Lol. Was I wrong asmo? Lol

In the future I will ask you your motivations for everything you have to say, lol

Why are you in this thread? Do you want to change the topic to cows and utters? Start a thread and I will join you in there to discuss it. :). We can hash it out. Lol