Travel Ban: Uk Petition To Stop Trump State Visit Hits 1 Million

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by tumbling.dice, Jan 30, 2017.

1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I don't know how politics work in the UK, but I so hope this petition passes and is enforced.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/29/europe/uk-petition-president-trump-ban-trnd/

2. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Wow someone's too vulgar for Her fancy Majesty and The Prince.
    How many have been killed, and how many lands have been conquered for the crown...these people are no innocents and definitely not morally superior. The only difference is they keep their fucked up shit behind their expensive palace doors.
    As far as I'm concerned, they can all sit at the same table and share some drinks and laughs in public.
    They are all probably buddies anyways.

1 person likes this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Righteous!

In recent times? And what has to do with vulgarity?

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Prince Charles is a man who is very concerned about things such as climate change etc - in many ways his views are opposite to DT's. I can't see them having a very warm meeting if it goes ahead, which I think it will despite the petition. As it's got a million signatures, they'll now have to look at debating it - but in all probability, we'll have the creature here, as May and her Brexit obsessed minions will want to cosy up even further to him in the vain hope that America is going to somehow save us from this whole self inflicted disaster.

No doubt the Queen will have to go through the usual formalities of a state visit. I doubt she'll enjoy it much. One thing the Queen isn't is vulgar.

5. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Going to the protest tonight. Absolutely disgusted with May.

Couldn't give a toss if he meets the Queen, I just don't want that **** in my country.

Once the petition reaches a threshold, parliament has to debate it. They are under no obligation to pass it and will certainly not. What the petition will achieve is two fingers up to Trump and an opportunity at the debate for right-minded MP's to properly take MAy to task on her cowardice and refusal to speak up against the ban.

2 people like this.
  6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

7. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

I didn't read the petition properly when I signed it. It isn't actually asking for a full Trump ban to be enforced, it's actually saying he should be allowed in but not to meet the queen, which is not what I think most of the signatories are demanding.

Load of wank.

8. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

Might as well piss in the wind for all the difference it will make to May's position.

Reminds me of when a million people marched against the second Iraq war, and Blair took absolutely no notice.

9. Asmodean

I'm glad they marched anyway

10. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

But what difference did it make? Our political masters couldn't give a fuck if the public doesn't like their political expediency, except when it's coming up to election time when they'll sell any shit they think the public will buy.

11. Asmodean

Sometimes it is just done to show discontent.

12. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

The march did show the world that large numbers of Brits were against the invasion.

Anti Trump protests will achieve nothing, but I still think they should go full steam ahead. Make life as uncomfortable as possible for May and Co. Not, as I say, that I expect it to make any difference, but at least it shows there is opposition to the generally disastrous course events seem to be taking.

13. autophobe2e

1) If you think it's your democratic duty to vote, then surely it's your democratic duty to express dissent? If your representative government is failing to represent your views, then you have a responsibility to represent yourself.

2) Politicians act on what they perceive to be a democratic mandate, protests such as this undermine that mandate and galvanise opposition. Both politicians, activists and even public servants who can act to delay or oppose damaging legislation. To those people, protests like this can be a reminder that large swathes of the population are behind them and give them the confidence they need to stand up themselves.

3) Further to that, the purpose of this particular protest was primarily to show solidarity with oppressed people, particularly refugees. The effect of a movement like this on people who feel alienated, marginalized and victimized by the right-wing media is immeasurable. This was about empathy, not giving in to what the media tells us we should feel about foreigners, expressing dissatisfaction with the state, and reminding them of what they can expect if they try to enact similar legislation here.

"Protest doesn't achieve anything" seems to translate to "I'm lazy", in a lot of cases.

Anyway- status report from outside Downing Street: it was a good 'un. Protest was made up of a lot more different demos than usual, I'm more used to student based and lead protests. This was calmer as a result but still determined. Good to see the SWP out in force organising and encouraging others to do the same. Good energy, unobtrusive and non-confrontational policing, back at it again on Saturday.

14. autophobe2e

My sign fell into the "ironically mild" category, planning on making a more pointed one on Saturday :D

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Women and minorities like blacks and foreigners are easy targets and when people stop protesting and signing petitions they sometimes start rioting and blowing things up.

Here in the US we've already had a few riots, but the peaceful protests continue. However, all it would take is someone lighting a match for things to get out of hand. The more peaceful protests the better, considering the alternatives.

16. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I've been on a few protests and marches - and seem how things can get out of hand - although it's more down to those who are there for actions other than to championing a just cause

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

People give up a days wage to protest and he'll still come over anyway. Lol.

I know who's face gonna be red and it ain't his. :D

1 person likes this.
  18. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

As an American bravo please keep him out. But he will say it does not matter because the UK is stupid and over run with dangerous Muslims. So if you don't want him fine and his voters will agree.

1 person likes this.
  19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i think charles cheating on his wife was vulgar

actions 1000 times > words

20. Asmodean

Nice try ;) It's about showing dissent. One of the best reasons to protest.