Quebec Police: 6 Killed In Mosque Attack, 8 Wounded

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by hotwater, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Canadian PM says mosque shooting a "terrorist attack on Muslims

QUEBEC CITY, Jan 29 (Reuters) - Six people were killed and eight wounded when gunmen opened fire at a Quebec mosque during Sunday night prayers, in what Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called a "terrorist attack on Muslims."

Police said two suspects had been arrested, but gave details about them or what prompted the attack.

Initially, the mosque president said five people were killed and a witness said up to three gunmen had fired on about 40 people inside the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Centre. Police said only two people were involved in the attack.

"Six people are confirmed dead - they range in age from 35 to about 70," Quebec provincial police spokeswoman Christine Coulombe told reporters, adding eight people were wounded and 39 were unharmed.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/five-dead-in-quebec-city-mosque-shooting-mosque-president/ar-AAmof9J

Hotwater

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Healing to survivors.
    Justice to the victims.
    Long, cold nights in cells to the perps.

4 people like this.
  3. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Terrible. I really don't know if it is a terrorist attack though.
    Idiot Trudeau called it this.
    Very odd that the names are not being released.
    Terrorist attack suggests that the attack is political.
    I would like more details.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Unless the culprits knew the victims and went there to kill them for personal reasons it is logical to assume and entirely reasonable to define this as a terrorist attack at this point.

5. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Not at all. Hate crimes are not necessarily terrorist attacks.
    Hate crimes are upon people that are unknown or known.
    Terrorist attacks are political. How is this attack political?
    When the Muslim guy in 2014 opened fire in Ottawa at parliament hill that was a terrorist attack.
    Or the soldiers who were run down by a car intentionally by an isil terrorist in Quebec
    Perhaps the mosque was mostly people who are salafis and they were attacked by Isis ?
    Your English is pretty good but sometimes you miss the mark asmo.

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Wow. The world is really becoming too damaged. It feels like it's coming down around our ears.

7. Asmodean

Maybe you're too busy labeling, MorphGirl. Can't a 'hate crime' be a terrorist attack? Hate crimes can also be committed with political motives of course. I'm not saying its necessarily one, but when 2 people start a massacre at a mosque it is logical to say it's a terrorist attack. You wanted to portray that as an idiotic statement. I know my english indeed.

It is just like it always was. Certain people make an issue of other people being, believing or thinking different. They used to be all in their own spot, now a bit less. Besides the world is becoming smaller in a way due to globalisation. Some people can't deal with that. But people were always like that: look at how the jewish were portrayed and treated in Europe during medieval times (and after of course). That was for a large part for their cultural differences. Different group, different beliefs and traditions. The bad one jew did gets projected on the rest. Etc.

1 person likes this.
  8. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

i did not label it, idiot Trudeau did in calling it a terrorist attack. :) Just so you understand the English language, fully understand, As I said above. Hate crimes are not necessarily terrorist attacks. Not Necessarily means not all, not logically, not conclusive, but some can be as I stated when I said "Hate crimes are not necessarily terrorist attacks".it is a figure of speach meaning not conclusive, it is possible, but not for certain. There has to be political motivation. Where is the political motivation in this?

Were the people inside salafis and attacked by isis? Why is this called a terrorist attack

9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

If Hillary would've won, in no way would muslims have shot other muslims in a mosque in Canada for being the wrong type of Muslim!

2 people like this.
  10. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Whilst it may well be a targeted attack - we can be too quick to jump to conclusion - and indeed react with such presumption - as much as it points to - time methinks to take stock, investigate and rationally conclude

1 person likes this.
  11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

Court officials in Quebec City identified the suspect as Alexandre Bissonnette

1 person likes this.
  12. Asmodean

First question is likely only a matter of time before it gets answered.
    You know perfectly fine why it is called a terrorist attack at this point. Nuff said

13. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Calling it terrorism merely means it is politically motivated, while calling it a hate crime merely means the person is mentally ill and easily confused by political movements.

14. drumminmama

Run down on what a hate crime is, by legal definition, in Canada.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/what-is-a-hate-crime-1.1011612

Actions motivated by hate qualify.

Terrorist is much harder to pin down.
    One can argue that it was to scare others from attending the mosque, was an assumed "retaliation" for something mosque members did (akin to how McVeigh and Nichols and their associates acted in Oklahoma City 1995- which was labeled domestic terrorism), but unless that comes to light, can it be added to charges?
    Does Canada have a code of law specifically addressing acts meant to terrorize?

1 person likes this.
  15. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Yes it does.

Terrorism in Canada is specific to political motivation and I was explaining this to asmo. He questioned what I was trying to say, so I explained meanings which is sometimes lost on him.

The government called it a terrorist attack. I questioned ehether it is hate or terrorist attack. I explained why. Is there something wrong with questioning this? Is there something wrong with explaining the meaning of something that is obscure to a person whose first language is not English?

16. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

please fill this NEWS thread with a bunch of unrelated articles and be sure to mention a lot of people that have NOTHING to do with this event....maybe go back and find some other horrible shit and post that as well as include some garbage about racism...make sure you use old links

thanks ...we all appreciate it

3 people like this.
  17. drumminmama

MOD NOTE: You have asked this in PM. I answered. Don't debate modding in open forum. It's a banning offense.

Back to regular me:
    There's a weight to using "terrorism," and I know that it can get lobbed about.
    Yes, any crime can be multiple offenses.
    Killing a person because they are trans is murder/manslaughter and a hate crime in many US jurisdictions, for example.
    Or, possession + intent to distribute.

Human action isn't simple.

18. drumminmama

Rollin has a point. Perhaps start a political thread and leave this to news and minor discussion of this specific event?

1 person likes this.
  19. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Correction above. Can NOT look after

They have released one of the suspects. One was a witness apparently and are not saying whether this is a terrorist attack now or another type of crime.

20. drumminmama

I'm imagining a domestic instability in Canada. Over something ultimately silly but taken very seriously by the so-called liberators.
    Let's say the people getting attacked for saying "eh" or "tabernak" flee to, oh, say, the US.
    The US then says that these victims cannot enter because someone who looks like them is the aggressor.

What would world opinion be, and would it be just?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.