Trump Signs Order To Revive Dakota And Keystone Pipelines

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Openmind693, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Openmind693

Openmind693 Members

Down with the environment and up with the precious oil.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/trump-signs-order-to-revive-dakota-and-keystone-pipelines-1.2949498

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

he made it quite clear in his campaign...

its good to see a president actually following thru with promises that got him enough votes to get elected

2 people like this.
  3. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well, you already know how I feel and will forever feel about all of this...no need to keep repeating myself....:(

My comment was to the OP....as I did not know you would be there, Spaceman, responding at same time.

4. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Yes it is a rare thing to see. Not sure I completely like the idea as it pertains to Canada. Lol. What did our prime minister promise? Change right? But we don't know what changes are to come... i think the change will be a weak government ...Trump might want to toss out nafta and renegotiate which could mean loss of jobs for Canadians and supplying more jobs to the USA. Trudeau really is not equipped to be in there position he is in. He does wear his suits well though and has a nice smile. Don't you think?

1 person likes this.
  5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I think you should stay on topic of trump and the pipeline

1 person likes this.
  6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think that it will serve to ignite a feud between protesters and riot cops. Very sad day.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This is going to get ugly

Lol

8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Probably one of my biggest fears of a Trump presidency, and this is only the beginning.

2 people like this.
  9. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

The actual statement that was made was

"“Subject to a renegotiation of terms by us – we’re going to renegotiate some of the terms,” Trump told reporters today in the Oval Office as he signed the two measures. “And if they’d like, we’ll see if we can get that pipeline built.”

I actually am wondering how it will be viewed as setting of new terms and negotiation is usually a two way conversation. ;)

Let the games begin. This is going to cause a lot of environmental issues on both sides of the border.

1 person likes this.
  10. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

11. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Well nafta is the north American free trade agreement. Obama admin disregarded this agreement with Canada which has brought about a lawsuit for 15 billion dollar against the us government from keystone xl with regards to this breech of contract. So now trump wants to renegotiate the nafta agreement since obama disregarded it.. He will be meeting Trudeau in a month. I can't see this sorting itself right awaY

I would post a link to this but i don't know if it is allowed?
    Last one was deleted?

12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

this thread isnt about nafta

13. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Wow that was fast.

The change of policy from Obama to Trump happened so quickly. 8 years ago, it took a couple months before any significant changes were noticed between Bush and Obama. If I recall, Obama's first noticeable policy was cash for clunkers.

1 person likes this.
  14. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

This sort of thing makes me wonder... Can any country, who actually cares about the environment and health and well-being of its people, ever keep up with the countries who don't care? With the election of Trump, the United States has basically proclaimed, "FUCK THE ENVIRONMENT, and FUCK THE HEALTH OF OUR PEOPLE". In my opinion, these pipelines are a colossal waste of resources. Our greedy moron governments focusing on short term dirty carbon energy. Put your money and jobs into building green energy technology; solar, wind and hydrogen plants and new technology development laboratories and factories.

4 people like this.
  15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Solar uses up too many rare metals and because of the batteries is more harmful to the environment, just in a different way

Wind takes up too much space for the energy produced which impacts ecosystems

Hydrogen will never be viable on a mass scale, similar problems with solar, in that containers, cells, whats needed for transport will suck up too many rare metals. Hydrogen is non polluting after it has been produced, but where do you think they get the hydrogen from in the first place?

And as far as Global Warming goes, water vapour is the primary greenhouse gas, the output of a hydrogen cell

Petrol is "greener" than all three of those

1 person likes this.
  16. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Solar and wind are pointless since they hardly generate enough power to get a return on your investment. Geothermal is the best way to go as it takes the everlasting supply of the heat generated beneath the Earth's crust.

17. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

I concur 6, I concur. :).

I would like someone to convert gravitational potential energy Into electricity.... take every escalator and it can be turned into a small generator to power the up one very easily. Conserving energy ... but it would be best to just take the stairs and use your own energy. :)

Thanks for the link. :). Clinton said a lot of things. :). I never believed anything he said.

18. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

That was true 15 years ago, now solar can be done much cheaper and have a fast ROI. I have built my own panels from Chinese kits for about $1 per watt. I've calculated that I can have my house completely off grid for $4-5K if I did all the work myself. It would also pay for itself within 4 years with only a 5 hour daily average solar duty.

2 people like this.
  19. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Keystone goes all through Red States.

20. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

The oil is flowing regardless. At the moment it's traveling by rail which is far more likely to impact the environment than a pipeline. That's part of why the US started building pipelines in the first place, they're more efficient than tanker cars for fuel and while pipelines can leak, most are double-walled with sensors in the interstitial space to alert on even the smallest of leaks. Trains do not have this and if you walk along the tracks you'll see all the crap they drip from sea to shining sea.

But when a train derails the potential for a massive spill is exponentially greater than that of a pipeline. As for groundwater, gasoline stations are the real enemy, especially the old ones. Some of those tanks have been rusting in the ground for decades. I'm not really trying to take sides in this, but the oil will be traveling regardless. Nobody is going to "leave it in the ground" when they can score a buck from it. The only way to turn this around is to reduce demand.

If we cut the US population in half, we won't need nearly as much of this sort of energy. Instead, we follow an old fashioned economic model that can only exist with continuous growth. Which is why we're importing people.

21. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

^
    Thought provoking.