You Probably Should Not Breed Your Reptiles

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by unfocusedanakin, Jan 19, 2017.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The lizard or snake you are breeding is probably common as dirt and no one wants it and if they did there are massive farms that take care of that. This is why you can go into most any pet store and usualy find the same few reptiles. You are probably not prepared for the cost to ethically house and feed all these new animals anyway. Most breeders don't really make money they just break even.

But everyone who gets a Bearded Dragon or gecko thinks they have a new business. Maybe and that's a big maybe if you are creating some kind of coloration that is uncommon or the species is uncommon your babies are worth something. But even then at what cost are you bringing those genetic traits out? Similar to pure breed dogs if we humans selectively breed what we find appealing we can kill some of the natural evolution that makes the animal strong. Yes there are a lot of man made mutations that still keep the animal in decent health but many do not also.

Most reptiles are very solitary. They do not need a "friend". It just annoys me when people don't respect them.

3 people like this.
  2. blazefortwenty

blazefortwenty Members

Turtles are going extinct and should be bred until the high heavens.

3. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

That's true some species are going extinct. But there would a high cost to breed them. Turtles are messy but if you want to get into it I do support preserving species.

4. blazefortwenty

blazefortwenty Members

There isn't a cost. Just breed them then drive into the forest and put them near a pond.

5. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

plenty turtles where I live...so many we have to have signs warning the motorists during egg and hatchling season...they cross the road to return to there birth place...many times the swamp is on one side of the road where they live but they head across to the forest edge to lay the eggs

not that easy......carrying them across the road here is what people do...you must make sure you do not change the direction....and remember....if it stinks to high heaven it also bites

you have to be an expert unless it is your own land....laws against that sort of thing because you could introduce some bacteria to the pond and kill it all including plants

6. blazefortwenty

blazefortwenty Members

Most turtles don't bite. It is good that your local town has lots of turtles however turtles across the world are going extinct.

7. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I like you, UnAn...and this is a messed up thread.

WTH? :-o

People breeding snakes and lizards and thinking while this is happening they will breed them and make money. the Merikan way - to make money :hurray:

EWWWWWW

that's all I have to say

carry on :)

sorry