Dnc, The Russians, Intrigue, Suspense!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by neonspectraltoast, Jan 17, 2017.

1. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

we should be...are we going to sanction ourselves. We should do something about it in the way of voting but 160 years later and the people still vote the same people in...Trump is the closest we had to an independent and we all know he could easily be the worst president ever. (When I typed in worst president my autocorrect recommends Obama...not even joking despite that being hilarious.) So if that happens I see another 160 years of the same.

2. storch

storch banned

What arbitrary standard did you come up with in your mind to determine whether or not a sovereign state qualifies as being worthy of not having their election interfered with?

3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

LOL
    what a bullshit question.
    you know damn well what does or does not constitute a global major power.

4. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

A clear majority of the American people have demanded the government and mass media they call evil lie to them for their protection. I'd have to agree that claiming the Russians have Trump by the balls and hacked the election is definitely in the national interest. Its exactly the kind of Professional Wrestling bread and circuses the public has been increasingly demanding!

Obama and Hilary's biggest problem is the two are just way too boring. When people demand you lie to them you have to give them a line of crap a mile long!

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

So we come to an ethical question.

Is it ever ethical for one nation to interfere with another nation's election?

I would posit that it depends on the intent of the interference and the type of interference. In the past the U.S. has certainly involved itself in dubious interference aimed at promoting corporate or selfish national gains. Without going case by case, in general, I would call those actions unethical.

However, the U.S. has also intervened to promote freedom and to fight corruption in elections. Again, in general I would call those ethical, but with a caution that you have to view the U.S. system as being fairer than say a plutocracy, dictatorship, oligarchy, etc.
    Certainly there can be a benevolent dictatorship such as the reign of India's Ashoka:
    However, all in all the U.S./Western system of governance has proven itself to be the current best form of governance available.
    That's not to say it doesn't have faults, both in its past and present. But forgiving the transgression of one nation because of the past transgressions of another nation gets us nowhere.

As we condemn the Russian interference, so we should condemn the past unethical U.S. (and other nations') interference in elections.
    The way to punish the U.S., punish is the wrong word, the way to prevent unethical Western interference in future elections is to ensure that our elections are fair and that our voters are well educated and knowledgeable about world affairs. There is no way to punish past deeds other than to admit our mistakes and learn from them.

To that end we must protest the Russian involvement, the same as we must protest any future unethical Western involvement, unless you feel the Russian interference was ethical...which I don't.
    The Russians were not concerned with promoting a freer, less corrupt election, they were bent on the opposite.

As to which elections could ethically be interfered with, if any.....that is certainly debatable. I would again suggest the answer lies in the purpose and method of interference.
    We would have to address this case by case.

6. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

You can say what you think is ethical. But I say it is never ethical to interfere with how other countries decide their government. The only exception being that we can tell them we won't deal or trade with them if they violate human rights.

7. storch

storch banned

What a bullshit statement. You know damn well my question was not "what constitutes a global major power?" You should reread my question twice if need be. That way you won't come across as someone with a kneejerk disposition.

For your edification:

What arbitrary standard did you come up with in your mind to determine whether or not a sovereign state qualifies as being worthy of not having their election interfered with?

8. storch

storch banned

Thank you.

9. MeAgain

If a government is activity repressing its own people? If a nation is engaged in blatant gross human rights violations then morally, it could be argued, other nations are bound to do something about it.
    This could take the form of aiding groups who are promoting free elections in the form of training, financial aid. logistics, securing voting sites, etc.

Remember the United States would not exist if France and Spain had not intervened in the British government's dispute with the American colonies.
    Were their actions ethical? I'm sure the colonist thought they were, while the British didn't.

10. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

but this is the statement you referenced when posing your question;

"The difference this cycle is that a major power interfered with another major power's election."

therefore following normal conventions of discussion, it appears that you are asking in reference to "major global power's" not just any sovereign state.
    My misunderstanding on the intent of your question is understandable.

What metric would you use to make such a determination?

11. storch

storch banned

Wrong. MeAgain was implying that there is a difference between major powers interfering with each other's elections, and major powers interfering with--presumably--non major powers. Therefore, my question as to what arbitrary standard he used to determine which sovereign states qualify as being worthy of not having their elections interfered with was an obvious follow up question. And if you will take note, MeAgain had no trouble understanding the question as it related to his statement.

Perhaps if you would trouble yourself with reading the pertinent posts, I wouldn't have to explain to you why your statement was bullshit. And if you will take note, MeAgain had no trouble understanding the question as it related to his statement.

12. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

May have not. And that dosnt mean I agree with France meddling with affairs that wear not theirs...oh but wait. Helping the colonists were in the best interest of France. Just like helping trump was in the best interest of the Russians.

13. Maybe you don't need to understand why that surprises me, or why it surprises so many people. Maybe you just need to understand that we're surprised. I guess, growing up, you hear that the United States is the freest, fairest country on Earth. Then when you get older someone informs you that the elections are always rigged, always have been. And no matter how many times it happens it's still unsettling and you're still waiting for the situation to be rectified. It should be obvious why it's surprising to me that the DNC, which is supposed to be impartial, went all-out to make sure Hillary became the nominee I'm not a historian. I'm an average uninformed American voter. I'm surprised you're surprised that I'm surprised.

But yeah, any way you cut it, what happened was not acceptable, and I want public support in favor of overhauling our electoral process. I think Russia is small fries compared to the problems we already face.

That distrust was sewn by our political process, not Russia. It's the oligarchy that made this presidential race possible, and if Hillary had won we'd have all kinds of threads talking about how the election was rigged in her favor. The point is that the elections are rigged, and we're never going to have order in this country until we make them fair. You can't have order under illegitimate leadership, and everybody knows that neither Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton are the legitimate candidates of the people.

Most of us could see that the elections were rigged long before WikiLeaks proved it. When it was proven we were just like, "See? There's proof." And as far as fake news goes, this study pretty much sums up everything I have to say about it.

I feel like it should be a package deal. It should always be "What can we do about the United States' and Russia's tampering with elections?" And at the same time, we need to promote public opinion in favor of overhauling the elections here in the US so that they can't be purchased by special interests. Like I said before, the people don't actually have a horse in the race, and without one you can't expect the public support you think this Russia thing demands.

1 person likes this.
  14. Openmind693

Openmind693 Members

For me I see that our whole existence is being controlled by the mega wealthy. They have ways of infiltrating the "rule of law" and doing whatever will keep them in power. I have actually started thinking that our puppet masters are very akin to the mafia. With real power to suppress whatever gets in their way. I don't believe in the "Alex Jones" philosophy, but I lean towards the idea of a "Prison Planet".

1 person likes this.
  15. storch

storch banned

You mean, like the Saudis? Yeah, why don't we go over there and save those people?

Not only do we not do anything about it, but certain Foundations even accept contributions from them, and then we give them great arms deals. So, instead of helping the people under an oppressive regime, we instead reward the regime.

1 person likes this.
  16. MeAgain

Of course, and the U.S. meddling in other countries is sometimes in the best interest of the U.S.or the West.

But France also supported the colonies on moral grounds. The ideas of John Locke in regards to natural rights, social Contract, revolution, and reason were embraced by the French as is evident in their own flawed revolution and the French saw the American colonies attempt to break away from British rule as an embodiment of his principles.
    As an example the Marquis de Lafayette:
    In short he found it to be an ethical struggle.

17. MeAgain

It depends on how you're using the term rigged. There has always been election irregularities...probably always will be, but the election was not rigged in a way that guaranteed the outcome for anyone.

The distrust that the birthers, tea party, and other fringe groups bathed themselves in was exploited by Russia. No doubt about that. If we had an informed, educated public the Russians wouldn't have had a chance of swaying the election in anyway.

I don't know what you would consider to be a legitimate candidate.

Wikileaks proved nothing in regards to actual criminal substance, or illegitimacy of any candidate. Hillary and Trump were certainly legitimate candidates as they went through every required process for candidacy and received the required votes to advance through the process. No meaningful election fraud was found in either case.

What Wikileaks did show was how Russia stole nondescript data, fed it to a partner outlet, probably through a third party to ensure deniability on both sides, and then that partner, Wikileaks, used that data in a methodological calculated attack carried out over many days in a manner that ensured maximum media coverage in order to damage Hillary. And it showed how the Russians used one of our greatest assets against us, our free press. The media fell for this attack hook, line, and sinker by fighting among themselves to be the first to keep stupid mundane data in the public eye.

And then we, the ignorant public, lapped it up like we were reading the latest exploits of "Bat Boy" on the front page of the National Enquirer.

As far as your study...it neglects the fact that the public doesn't have to remember specifics to form bias and incorrect assumptions that can last a long time.

As far as public support for "that Russia thing", if the public won't fight corruption in one arena, especially when it concerns them, they won't fight it in another.

1 person likes this.
  18. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I doubt people are even giving anything much thought, anymore....such as those who would discuss these things, intelligently, like here on this forum. I was forwarded an article a few days ago that people are getting their educations from facebook, twitter and reality TV these days...Not much to think about anymore for many people.

19. MeAgain

Because it's not that simple. The world is a complicated place.
    That being said they have a horrible human rights record.
    But again they are a major factor in the stabilization of world oil prices, they are a strategic ally, and a moderating factor in the Israeli/Arab conflict and the area at large.

They are gradually reforming, but if they move too fast all hell could breakout as rival fundamentalist groups protest and perhaps revolt leading to further disruption in the area.

20. storch

storch banned

On the contrary, it is very simple. The decision to help free oppressed people from their oppressive regimes all depends on what's in it for US.

1 person likes this.