Hardest Job You've Done?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Joshua Tree, Jan 15, 2017.

1. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

At 10 years old I was at the boat yard where boats are stored for the winter. I washed tarps to cover the boats for 1 dollar each. A friend of mine, she told me when she first came to Canada she would get up at 3 in thr morning, cans tied to her ankles collecting dew worms at a penny a piece. She was one of the happiest people I have ever met. Appreciate everything,

1 person likes this.
  2. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Lol. Love the avatar jo king. Looks great on you. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

The only hard part about any job i had was functioning with very little sleep and putting up with people. I completely avoid jobs that i feel may be difficult.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Too little sleep makes any job hard indeed. Even some jobs that otherwise aren't at all, like driving. Ok you don't get muscle aches but still!

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I've bailed hay, mixed cement, hauled bricks and block, dug ditches, roofed, loaded trucks, etc.

But the worst physical job I had was one day when I went to a wrecked trailer truck on the PA turnpike. It had gone over an embankment and split open. It was loaded with arc welding rods and they were poking out of the trailer body everywhere.

So what we had to do was pick them out one by one as they were all tangled up like pick up sticks. We piled them in our arms, holding them out front, then had to climb the muddy embankment up to another truck and carefully load them in. In the rain.

Do you have any idea how many tons of welding rods a semi can carry? (About 35) And how many rods make a ton? (about 28,000) That's about 980,000 rods.
    And do you know how many you can carry at one time, up hill, in the mud and rain? (about 200). That comes out to about 4,900 trips. And do you know how many times you'll fall down in the mud????

I lasted one day. The truck was still there when I quit.

1 person likes this.
  6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, farm was the hardest physically. pizza restaurant manager was the hardest to not commit suicide daily.

7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

When I was a security guard, I had a gig providing security for Reese Witherspoon when she did her movie up in my area. She played as a drug addict in her movie. After the film crew got done filming a scene, which was a small cottage out in the forest in the middle of nowhere, I was told to stay behind and make sure nobody tried to break in. They left all the props of the film set in tact, leaving me all alone in this cottage from 1am-6am, including her drugs on the table which had a bong with weed, cocaine, and heroine. The hardest part about that job resisting the temptation.

8. John1234567

John1234567 Members

Hard to not do the fake drugs? Thats a different level of addiction

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

So most everyone here has said manual labor. I've never worked manual labor but depending on what it is, i think i would like it. If landscaping paid better i would leave my 9 -5 in a heartbeat. And working on a farm, working with the earth in any manner would be nice. I love feeling physically exhausted. I hate, hate, hate sitting at a desk all day, it makes me feel like shit.

So never had a physically grueling day but the most mentally draining job i've ever had was working at a call center. It really made me lose my faith in the basic nature of humans. And i judge people now by how they treat people in call centers, or retail stores or restaurants..

10. John1234567

John1234567 Members

I was a janitor in a store where homeless people liked to paint the bathroom walls with feces.... i would like a desk job. Almost died several times doing construction.

11. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Warehouse. Hell nah.

Made my JRTOC boot camp training look like a tea party.

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWrMeBR8W-c

one the best experiences of my life .. only wish I never discharged, life outside the structure is a harder job...

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Life is always greener.

14. MorphGirl

MorphGirl Banned

Eek on both those jobs... walls painted on feces and almost dying. I hope you find what you are looking for.. :)

I know two people who recently got job with Amazon loyalty departments... not sure if you are near a center. One had to take some test that evaluates personality. He failed and was told, everyone fails it thr first time, now you know what they are looking for in answers, come back and take it again and you will pass it. Worth a try anyways. You won't die and won't clean shit off the walks and you won't die

15. John1234567

John1234567 Members

Was a long time ago. Work for the military now doing sort of fun stuff

16. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

Being a mom. It's also the best job I've ever had.

17. Asmodean

Hey Ruby's back! :cheers2:

18. John1234567

John1234567 Members

Watch out. Penguinfan is going to say something about a difference between being a mom and being a good one

19. Asmodean

If she's a good one what should she watch out for?

1 person likes this.
  20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

One Summer, I did an import gig for a Asian company where we'd get these ridiculously heavy stone sculpted statues and pillar shipments, then we'd often have to move and reorganize them with other pieces to re-pallet them.

The job started really early too, so between that and being exhausted after work, I basically did the job, went home, slept and didn't do much else on days I was working.