Hardest Job You've Done?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Joshua Tree, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

I recently had a temp job as a postie. I had to virtually run from house to house to get all the mail delivered. It nearly killed me and I had to quit. What's the hardest job you've done?

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Labouring on building sites.Constant lugging stuff around and up ladders,mixing cement etc.I couldn't cope with the physical nature of it these days.But it was kind of fun too.

3. John1234567

John1234567 Members

Being a parent

wilsjane and morrow like this.
  4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Somehow I don't think having unprotected sex is a hard job. Well.... I guess in a way it is.

Can't say the hardest job I had. Maybe some tasks I have had were pretty hard but as a job overall it is only as hard as you make it, except shoveling up a couple dozen tons of rendered chicken...that shit was hard.

5. John1234567

John1234567 Members

Having a kid is not the same as being a parent

Noserider, morrow and Piaf like this.
  6. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Being a parent is not the same as being a good parent

1 person likes this.
  7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i've always found just having enough patience with humans to keep a job is the hardest part of any of them.

i suppose unloading 100 pound sacks of rice by hand might count,

i have to mention though, the wierdest one, one day out of day labour,
    when i was out of everything,
    well they sent me out to with these people,
    i swear to god, a real life adams family.
    the bone the dog was playing with in the front yard, was a real life human skull.
    friendly dog though, just a little odd for a dog toy.
    anyway, all they wanted me to do was sweep the back patio.
    except when i went to grab the broom,
    the auntee wouldn't let me use it,
    said she needed it for flying.

i honest to god swear i'm not making this up.

(i would have liked to have lived a life of less anxiety, but i wouldn't trade the wierdness of the one i have for anything)

anyway they paid me nice for my time.

1 person likes this.
  8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Farm work.

Damn, it was grueling and sweaty. You go to bed exhausted every night. But there is something really rewarding and authentic about that feeling.

2 people like this.
  9. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Same.

Well, not for a job, I just helped out a lot. I still do from time to time.

I also agree about the authentic and rewarding part.

10. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey Members

Halloween poo. It is way easier to be a Christmas poo.

11. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

you have to be a special kinda stupid to do my job. It's not as bad as it use to be but it's still 19-20 hours a day.

12. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I am doing it right now....it is taking care 24/7 of my 97 yr old mother. She is relatively deaf, mean as all hell and more stubborn than a mule.

It pays NOTHING. Anything I "get" (personally) outside of groceries have to be obtained from the Family Dollar Store or off of the aisles of a grocery store....and it CANNOT be much of anything. OH YEAH - when she pays me a whole $15 dollars for doing her hair about once a month (yes, she doesn't worry about keeping her hair or room or anything clean) I can go to the thrift store and get some books. yay and to be even more clear - she has effectively kept the house so messy for so long, right now I lack the fortitude to do what should be done to give it a complete clean-up. PLUS she all but levitates ON MY BACK the entire time I TRY to clean...asking incessant stupid questions...its just not even worth it.

I do work out a way to keep firecracker material...but I do NOT even eat them everyday. Hell, last week, I didn't eat but one day.

She is healthy...well, healthy enough to trot outside and let out the cat (BB) I specifically do NOT want out...and is on no medication.

Looking after her is wearing me down both mentally and physically; but, that doesn't really matter, does it??? For the 1st time in my life I have high blood pressure.

As a result of this living hell, my brother and I were deeded the family land...but I literally don't know what kind of fire needs to be lit under his ass to do what needs to be done to sell that land. I also own this house...but come to find out...(when the rubber met the road at the lawyers's office) I ALREADY was named by my late father as an owner, or 1/3 owner. Now I'm full owner and dependent on Mama for every cent and dime since I cannot leave the house TO WORK for fear of what she will do.

I've had some damn hard jobs in the past but this one ^^^^^ beats them all.

period

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Its not like the job is done after you ejaculate lol, wtf

Being a parent is by far the hardest job i've ever done. I view my actual job as my break from my parenting job lol, the only break i really get

2 people like this.
  14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Did you skip over my reply to the last person that pointed that out.

15. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

I worked in an Ice sculpture exhibit over Christmas one year. In order to stop the sculptures melting the building had to be kept between -8 and-12 degrees at all times. apart from the bar, which, because it was a smaller space with more people in it was closer to -12 to -15. The actual job wasn't too hard, but the shifts were long and breaks were minimal, and we kept losing people to frostbite and early-stage hypothermia. Had to carry one dude out after he collapsed. The working conditions kinda sucked and it only got worse as it went on. the more people left the more extra shifts we had to pull.

2 people like this.
  16. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Keeping a room full of other people's kids at the mother's morning out program.

Half of them were sick with fevers and snotty noses.

The other half of them were just ill behaved little shits.

17. John1234567

John1234567 Members

Sounds like fun

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I grew up on a farm but rarely worked fulltime on one. So many minutes to just observe and basically unwind a bit again. Sure, some tasks are physically exhausting but a good farmer doesn't do that without timing it well.
    What kind of farm was it? Mine was focussed on milking sheeps.
    Hardest job i did was in a shrimp processing factory. Monotonous, incredibly stinky and it could be heavy too depending on where they put you to work. First years i worked there i had to go by bicycle as well. Slept real good on those nights :-D

19. storch

storch banned

Yup, farm work. Baling hay, picking stones, pitching manure, pitching silage, etc. But working for a nonunion factory that made idler arms for army tanks runs a close second. I ran a radial-arm drill press and had to lift one hundred and five-pound parts onto it, and then slap a forty-five pound steel plate onto that.

20. Openmind693

Openmind693 Members

Is the hardest work we have done, the work we hated the most? For me sometimes that became true. Loading 3000 lbs of furniture twice a day for a moving company in 94 degree weather ( 2 years ). Installing by myself, 100 lb wall cabinets, and putting a 12 ft counter top together to create a "kitchen" ( 8 years ). Digging/chopping tree stumps out that were 2 ft ( or better ) in diameter, to create a fertile garden space ( 2 years ). Some of those I did hate at times.
    But, every year I now gather about 5 chords of wood from our forest. Cutting the trees down a year before you use them, cutting them to length, loading them onto a tractor wood trailer. Unloading them, and splitting the larger logs, and then stacking every log into a row to make a fitting pile, and then go out everyday and use a wheel barrow to fill with logs to bring into the house. Then load the stove, and wake up five hours later to load it again. I love this work, have done it close to 30 years, and did it again this year at the young age of 64 with a bad back and knee. And I still Love it.

3 people like this.