Online Dating

Discussion in 'Free Love' started by Captain Allan, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Captain Allan

Captain Allan Members

I've given online dating a try and I HATE IT. Every time I log onto the page, it says 'Upgrade now' and the site demands more money. Has anyone else tried online dating? are there any positive outcomes or is it all just a scam?

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Some of my friends have very positive outcomes.

If you have signed up for only a period of time and that time is up, and you do not upgrade your account it is indeed logical the site keeps asking the same question about money. Some dating sites have slightly dubious methods to make their members pay a little more if they do not pay attention to the details. Always read the details first, like how long is a free period and will it automatically cross over in a paid membership, etc. etc.

Eric! likes this.
  3. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Don't waste your time and don't pay for shit.

Eric! likes this.
  4. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Just meet more people offline.
    I wouldn't really bother with online dating

5. Asmodean

If you commit to your decision to try online dating you have to pay something to fully use the functions of a good dating site. You just should be aware what you are paying for in advance. When people don't do this they can get unpleasant suprises that gives off the feeling they are scammed, while it was all explained that your account get automatically renewed after it runs out, UNLESS you cancel it manually... that kind of thing. Yeps it is not customer friendly, but you can avoid the unpleasant suprise.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

there are a few free dating sites. i assume all of them have paid membership options, but they still function without. just like paying for hipforums; you might get a little bonus content for contributing but you can still use it just fine without.

if you are on a free site, of course they will try to get you to upgrade to the paid membership. they are a business, and their primary function is to get people to give them money.

i've had some luck with it. it's not a miracle cure to poor pickup skills or anything like that, but it does increase your options by letting you talk to people you wouldn't have otherwise ever encountered.

1 person likes this.
  7. Asmodean

I would also advice if you really want to have some luck with this to not just sign up to the first dating site you can think of but take a look around before. Here in the netherlands there are many differences in quality and how supportive they are. You can not base your whole opinion about online dating on just one site or experience.

Eric! likes this.
  8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^ or, you could probably maximize your odds by just signing up for every dating site.

9. Asmodean

If every dating site would be worthy to sign up for. Quality above quantity I'd say.

10. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

If I were on the hunt, I would likely use online dating. I come across better in writing, I think. Also, I don't meet too many folks with whom I share a lot of interests, so online dating is a nice way to filter people.

11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

well, i don't know about that. everyone puts pretty much the same info in their profile, so ultimately you're still looking for an attractive picture and chatting them up, just like real life.

12. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Right--but people who are weird enough will probably put an honest description of themselves. I don't really look for attractive pictures so much as I do unattractive pictures--you know, people trying to show off how fit they are, how cool they are, how hard they party etc. Trying to show off in general.

13. Asmodean

I'm curious, YFM, if you haven't tried online dating either (and are introverted irl) how and where you go find a good partner? I haven't tried a dating site myself either yet (but not that actively trying when in a bar/at a party/in most other public places either).

Wouldn't say everyone. But yeah the majority. Good thing is most people who try to find a good date or more are not looking for the majority ;) So if you can filter well on certain profile info you only have a bigger chance on finding someone interesting. All depending on the site I guess.

14. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

My girlfriend and I met on OK Cupid. I also met a fuck buddy that I had at the time we started dating there.

C/S,
    Rev J

15. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I did make a fake Tinder once to see what it was like. Like, a real profile of me, but without any intention of meeting anyone on there. It was ok. A lot of men without shirts. Meh. In the past I have met people at work, or through mutual friends, or in my pool of existing friends. I think former friends make the best partners.

1 person likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I am available for an online relationship. I am so online I even do my shopping online so plz provide bank account and credit card details maybe we can shop together sometime? :)

scratcho likes this.
  17. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

My brother found his wife through an online dating site which he had to pay for. It works for some people i guess.

18. Asmodean

2 of my best friends found their partner like that too. One is a dad now. And yes.. he's still with her :p

The only thing I haven't made a profile on a dating site yet is that I would probably do the same (certainly at first) as YFM:

And would probably not act upon a message/date invite at this point. Which would feel kind of lame, especially if the girl who reacts is intriguing.

A female friend of mine does this as well, although she really wants a guy (obvious to me and other friends). But she's insecure and has always pictures that make her look slimmer than she really is: then she gets horny replies like 'you're the perfect combi between cute and hot and I would like to take you hard from behind' and shares them with us in whatsapp (like: see what preposterous messages I get!! Although she's flattered, she won't act upon such a message ever though :p) :D So I understand why Tinder and some dating sites are regarded as kinda sad, kinda scary by some people. But happily I see different exeperiences, so I'm sure it is a matter of being selective and picking out the right people (probably easier said than done!).

19. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Oh yeah ^^ I only kept it up for a few hours. I just wanted to see how it worked, since everyone is always making Tinder references.

I don't think those apps or sites are sad at all. Just another way to meet people you might not consider otherwise.

20. Asmodean

They're not sad by definition no. Clearly. Sometimes people set themselves up for failure, sometimes it is just not for them. It's just one POV, probably heavily depending on (taking notice of) negative experiences.
    I think Tinder is awesome and I might even give it a try sometime. But it is also clear I am not that eager otherwise I would have already :p I don't like going on 'blind' dates or dating strangers in most cases! Casually befriending someone in the bar and see where that goes already gives me less shivers :p Not that I'm really fanatic with that approach either ;)

Hugs & Spit likes this.