Itchy Scalp Relief

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tumbling.dice, Jan 13, 2017.

1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Does anyone else suffer from an itchy scalp? Mine, particularly in the colder months, drives me up the wall. I have very dry hair so I shampoo and condition accordingly but it doesn't seem to make that much difference. I have even considered, during insane scratching frenzies, shaving my head bald then going over my bare scalp with 60-grit sandpaper or something similar. It is driving me crazy.

What do you do? Any good treatment options out there?

2. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Had itching but nothing that made me want to shave.

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I recommend coconut oil with a few drops of tea tree oil

1 person likes this.
  4. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Where do I get this? Walmart or a pharmacy or something?

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You can find coconut oil definitely at an organic grocery store like Whole Foods, and most common chain grocery stores carry it too i think. It will be with the olive oil and cooking oils

I have seen tea tree oil at wal mart and drug stores but can be hard to figure out where they stock it - or at least it is for me. If i could make the world a better place i would do it by helping stores stock their inventory more logically.

Or if you have any kind of natural health store in your area they should carry it

1 person likes this.
  6. morrow

morrow Visitor

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Could be Head Lice

Hotwater

8. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Apple cider vinegar

Mix with water and rinse

1 person likes this.
  9. MurielMeans

MurielMeans Members

Take warm head oil massage.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I open my head pours a lot with warm baths. I let my hair soak in my sweat and oils and I really think it helps a lot of my skin ailments.

You read bad things about hot water but I get good things from it. I find that sweating our impurities and oils from the scalp to improve itchy and dryness. I also only use cold water to wash my hair and I will also use a fructose oil to get it all healthy again.

You could also try investing in Apple cider vinegar. I've heard it does wonders for your hair but I've only every ingested it, it helps maintain a healthy PH level for your acidic sweats and skin oils, so makes sense to also help alleviate scalp ailments.

Of course, everyone is different. You might just need to see what works for you.

11. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Had Itchy Scalp Years Ago But Since Iv'e Had Dreads (6 years) Iv'e Used Baking Soda

(bicarbonate of soda).......Haven't Scratched Since....... :)

Cheers Glen.

1 person likes this.
  12. fingo9

fingo9 Members

use mustard oil ofter heating 60degree C
    alternate days it very helpful. [​IMG]

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

put some honey on it..

14. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

60c Is Getting A Bit On The Rude Side.....My Hotwater System Is Set To 50c And It Will Burn

Your Skin......I Hope Nobody Takes Your Advice.....[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

15. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Glen, there's something about mustard oil having to be heated and cooled before use.
    I learned it years ago, and don't really remember why.

16. fundoo

fundoo Members

I thankfully haven't really had too much of an issue (or wait, I DID have it once-dry, flakey and red scalp-but it went away before i considered it an issue.) but, as a preventative measure, and because I have itch issues in other places from eczema (like back of knees and elbows and in between fingers), well, I have become more interested. I have been using moisturizing creams for the skin, but for the scalp, I hear witch hazel is good. Not exactly sure on the applications of it or where you can get it in isolated form, but I have a touch of it in this spray which I use for dreadlocks. (not sure if you can use it for non-dreads, but maybe for a few short winter months, it would be fine. It does take awhile for knots to form anyway, so I'm sure you can just brush them out if you don't want them.)

http://www.dollylocks.com/8oz-Unscented-Tightening-Spray-p/ts-us.htm

17. fundoo

fundoo Members

kindof off topic, but it's soo cool, I've found, that since having dreads/getting informed about dreads, I think I've become more healthy overall. :D

18. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Dreads Are Fun.......Sometimes Someone Will Make A Giggle Or Otherwise Make A Immature Gesture

But Most Peeps Are Cool With Them.......[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

19. fundoo

fundoo Members

haha! "you have reached your" (what was it? oh!) "quota of positive votes for the day" :p So, yeah, I will just "like this" and agree. Yeah, I live with the type, but it's all good fun. :D Cheers! :)

20. Pokemaster

Pokemaster Members

It depends what shampoo you are using.. YOu should read more about the effects of sebum.

Tags: