House Cats?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Gangster Guru, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I was thinking of getting a cat,probably a kitten,when I get my new apartment.Then I thought I would like two cats.Thing is my new place will be small,no garden or access to the outside.Does anyone have experience of keeping house cats.Do you think it's cruel? Or would you suppose the cats will get used to it if they are raised from kittens?

2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I have house cats and would recommend getting two litter mates, that way they can keep each other entertained. I got mine at 6 weeks of age and they have never left the house and seem ok with that...they love looking out the windows! And they clearly adore each other. Just be prepared for some, er, "excitement" as they learn to be cats. When they are young they will run all over the damn place at all hours of the night and get into everything.

These were mine the day I got them.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Thanks.That's encouraging.I look forward to the "excitement".

I also looked up Catteries in my city for when I go away,which is not often and never for more than a few days.It will work out about £18 a day for two cats sharing,which I can manage.

4. F6C

F6C Members

How cute are they????

I had "house" cats for a number of years and we chose cats that were suited to this environment (Bermans) and they were totally fine, and sometimes when we went to let them out in the garden they weren't interested.

I live by a main road and that's why I didn't want "outdoor" cats.

Both cats lived well into old age, one reaching 18yrs and the other 20yrs.

1 person likes this.
  5. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Oh, a few things I forgot to mention.

First, you will want to take them to the veterinarian not long after you get them. Kittens nearly always carry some kind of parasites. Mine had worms and ear mites. They should also be tested for and vaccinated against feline leukemia, a potentially big problem. There is no cure once they get it; the symptoms are similar to AIDS in humans.

Also, at about 6 months of age, you should have them "fixed", whether they are male or female. Male cats, when they get older, will "spray" (urinate) on your furniture to mark their territory. And female cats will, of course, menstruate. Either way, you don't want that in your apartment.

Research how much all this will cost you in the long run before you make your decision. I spent a fair amount in the beginning having all this done, but I was prepared. Once you have all this done, however, it will just be yearly checkups. The money I spend on them now is just for food and litter.

Good luck!

6. F6C

F6C Members

Let us know how you get on.....

7. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Thanks for the advice,and I will let you know how I get on.

2 people like this.
  8. Samc

Samc Members

Cats may be cute and cuddly, but they also can be a challenge to care for, especially if they are indoors all the time. Felines are natural hunters and get bored easily, so they have a tendency to be curious. That can cause some problems, like when they decide to scale your curtains to get a better view of your living room.
    When you understand a cat’s basic needs, you can raise a healthy pet and live with them in harmony.
    [SIZE=13.3333px]To most indoor cats, life is humdrum, monotonous. So you have to keep them occupied as much as possible.[/SIZE][SIZE=13.3333px]Cats need interactive play time that will satisfy their hunting instincts and keep them active.[/SIZE]

For you as an owner, that means a variety of toys and lots of one-on-one time to help ward off a pudgy pussycat.[SIZE=13.3333px]Cats also need their own space. You may not have a whole room to give them, but try to make sure your kitty does have a special area of your home to call his own with food and water, a scratching post, a bed, and a litter box.[/SIZE]

9. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I wouldn't breed any but the fanciest of cats to live and indoor life; but, when there are so many homeless cats already in existence then you are doing something good to take some in and feed them and adore them. Unless, you're a member of PETA who thinks cats would prefer to be killed over being kept as a pet.

Watch some Jason Galaxy shows on youtube.

He is fantastic with the psychology of cats.

They are active and they do need mental stimulation and some exercise to keep them from acting out and being problem kitties.

You can do all kinds of great things in your space to keep them entertained.

The proper time to entertain them is before they eat. They like games that simulate hunting for prey, capture, and "kill", before they eat.

There are other things like the number of litter boxes, location of them, cleanliness of them, etc. Jackson Galaxy covers that; or I can try to help you.

You can even walk cats outdoors on leashes!

Give some kitties a home!!!

10. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

My cat was better than an alarm clock. 10am every morning if I wasn't up she would tap my nose till I got up.

11. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

One Of Mine Is 4-30am.....Right On The Dot.....Want To Do A Swap...???.... :D

Cheers Glen.

12. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

That one died a few years ago. You wouldn't want the one I have now.