Christians Should Not Join The Military

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by thefutureawaits, Jan 9, 2017.

1. John1234567

John1234567 Members

So because people like snowden and hilliary clinton have caused the leakage of information that mayor may not have lead to the death of many, are they murders?

2. storch

storch banned

Are you addressing me?

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Even the Norse, the greatest warriors went to Hel for murdering and to make it to Valhalla and/or afterlife they had to die gloriously in battle, weapon in hand then hand picked by a Valkyrie whom I think would be somebody just like me. :) skilled in the arts or warfare and yet, judgemental enough to judge those who are slain. We'd have to judge them all, for only 50% will be chosen for Valhalla and the other 50% spend their days in Freyja's halls.

Like previously stated, there's a difference between killing and murdering.

1 person likes this.
  4. storch

storch banned

Yes, the difference between killing and murdering is whether or not taking another's life was done in self defense.

5. John1234567

John1234567 Members

Nice one Irminsul. I support those that have to kill in the call of duty but i could not live with myself if i did it but appreciate those who do

6. John1234567

John1234567 Members

Its all in Walking Dead

7. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

More likely that was traders and military craft. Missionaries are rarely first on the scene anywhere.

Diseases have a life of their own as well. Long before any Europeans set foot in the current continental US diseases brought by Spanish explorers (who arrived first to the Caribbean) had already wiped out many native nations in North America.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

These days we point a gun and pull the trigger.

Back in the good old days, the strength of a man wasn't measured with muscles I don't think, though it took muscles to swing those blades for sure, but to force a blunt object through somebody, I mean to hack and slash.. I own guns. I've shot competitively. There's no real genius mental zone to jump that boundary. You aim you pull the trigger. It's nothing. But to cleave an axe through someone, that's where the mental strength and toughness comes in to play.

The Vikings did this so well, but like I said, their goal was to die in battle too so at some point they had to think to themselves that for salvation of sorts, an ax must be cleaved through my head while I die fighting.

That's courage, strength and honor right there.

9. storch

storch banned

So what if, as in the case of the Iraq war, a Christian soldier drops a bomb and kills a bunch of civilians, only to find out later that there were no weapons of mass destruction, thereby taking away the self defense excuse?

10. John1234567

John1234567 Members

Traders and missionaries only. Hawaiians were seen as hethens with no written language and women were topless. Look up Capt. Cook in drunken history lol

11. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I suggest you look up hacksaw ridge.

12. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

The Crusades were also a defensive expedition after nearly 4 centuries of Muslim incursions into Europe. It was Spain that finally turned the tide and drove them back.

As for Christians, consult Francis of Assisi. His order epitomizes the expression of christ's teachings. Their central tenet is that true Christians do not willfully take advantage of others. However, this means they are very aware of those trying to take advantage of them. Which is why they are usually at odds with the Vatican throughout history.

Christians tolerate a great deal more than I think they are given credit, but they are not completely above defending themselves from godless assholes who mean them harm. They take it on the chin for a while, but not forever. Assuming Christians are "weak" is short sighted.

13. John1234567

John1234567 Members

True story. All parts of war are bad. I am japanese and had no past since my roots come from where a bomb destroyed my history. Millions of innocent people died but the war ended.....

14. storch

storch banned

Yeah, but the war would have ended without dropping that bomb on innocent people.

15. morrow

morrow Visitor

What of the young men and boys given no choice, then told if they don't kill, they die because of it?

Would god then punish them?

It's time people seen the Bible for what it really is, it was never meant to read as it now does! When will people realise?

The Bible was a guide, for good and bad, for you to see into the future how love and war could have results!

No person that kills, will be punished! God, if he exists, we are to believe he will forgive!

Are we not guides to our own future?

Religion! The biggest cause of wars! Politics! And religion!

Religion is hypocritical! Be good or you don't go to a next life! Bullies!

This is my opinion, and makes more sense! Sorry if it offends!

16. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

True.

Yet no nation thought it was a good idea to have military attack on North America since.

17. storch

storch banned

Sure but Japan was beaten. They wanted to end the war.

18. storch

storch banned

If someone is coming at you for the purpose of killing you, then you certainly have a right to defend yourself.

19. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Most Christians (or anyone else for that matter) don't join the military. Only 0.4% of the US population is active duty military personnel. However, a Gallup pole conducted in 2006 showed that protestants and frequent churchgoers were the most supportive of the Iraq war that was started by the US.

Protestants and other Christians were most supportive of the Iraq war, Catholics were slightly less supportive, and those with other, non-Christian religions and those with no religion were the least supportive. Indeed, it seems those of 'other' religions and no religion at all were the most likely to say the Iraq war was a mistake.

[​IMG]

I have never in my adult life believed that Christianity in general is a religion of peace. I simply see no evidence of it. There are, however, specific sects, such as the Amish, Quakers and The United Pentecostal Church, that have official pacifist policies and I respect them for that.

As a side note, I am both a nonbeliever and a US Army veteran. I enlisted in 1987 when both the world and the country were very different that what I see today. I am proud of my military service and have never regretted it. But there is absolutely no way I would enlist today. Every 'war' (only congress can declare war, incidentally) since the '90s has been foolish US interventionism. All the lives lost and trillions spent...and we're not one bit safer or better off.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/21937/protestants-frequent-churchgoers-most-supportive-iraq-war.aspx

20. morrow

morrow Visitor

Exactly! So why would god then punish you for it!

Take WW1, the war to end all wars!! Young boys of 16, 17 etc, terrified! Were shot dead as cowards! Who gets punished? The person who made the rule? The person who exercises the rule, the person who made the bullet, or the person who pulled the trigger?

Don't take the Bible so literally! Man has changed it to suit themselves!