Why Can't The Younger Generation Show Up? Or Be On Time? For Anything?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pete's Draggin', Jan 9, 2017.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah fuck oath. All the old folks go out for smoke breaks and tea breaks and coffee breaks. All the young cunts just get it, do the work and go home. :cuss:

1 person likes this.
  2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

That is a pretty weak attendance policy compared to the companies I have worked for. Allowed back after 4 consecutive no call/no shows? Where I work now a no call/no show is automatic dismissal unless you can show that you or a loved one was in an accident, had a health problem, or something similarly major. Eight out of ten new hires have attendance issues? Sounds more like a problem with human resources to me, or whoever is responsible for hiring.

And it seems to me that a company that employs 400,000 people should be able to afford to hire good help.

1 person likes this.
  3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i work with about 80 people, but i work closely with a group of 8. i'm the only one of the 8 who's pretty much always on time for stuff. the one girl who's younger than me is usually on time or close to it. and then we spend most of our time sitting around waiting for the 6 old people to show the fuck up whenever they happen to feel like it.

2 people like this.
  4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

10 minutes break a day? That's slavery.

2 people like this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I work closely with 10-15 people and unless there's something very specific like gotta take people to airport or bring them from airport then it's the most relaxed job you'll have. And that work is for the drivers so if that's not your role that's nothing to worry about.

So, basically main job is to keep the guests entertained. So. We are allowed to drink/smoke/gamble or whatever the guests are doing. When they go out then we clean and tidy a bit that's about the length of hard work for us. I know the chefs are different but just our baseline work is really just having fun.

I do more hard work because I have the stables to maintain but it's with horses and so I really enjoy that and it's such an easy job.

The worst thing you can ever do in my job is be too hungover or drunk to drive our guests around. Once again this is the "driving role" responsibility. We had a guy working for us for a long time and he just too inconsistent for being drunk and missing schedules. We let him go. It was sad. =[

1 person likes this.
  6. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Oh, i would purposely not show up twice in hopes to get a three day suspension so i can have a much longer weekend. I would do this in the summer and perhaps plan a trip if possible or just go out and enjoy the summer. If a company had a week attendance policy there would definitely be times where i would take advantage of it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

We hired a kid one time to make a couple quick somewhat easy fishing trips, it would have been big money for him. We waited an hour cuz he was late and as we were pulling away from the dock we could seem him casually walking down the dock. 4 days later we came back in with a big trip he showed up wondering why we didn't wait.

It makes no sense to me how some people think.

2 people like this.
  8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

We all know you are in your 40's. You're fooling no one!

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I want to work with you, that sounds fun

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

:)

It is fun and lucky for you we are more than open to taking non German workers because 90% of the folks that visit and stay with us are foreign people. And if you can ski or snowboard then that's even better because winter is mostly the biggest season.

I never used to work in winter because we don't do much horse riding and no one comes to ride horses so in summer that was my gig but I've been given a lot more responsibilities lately. I'm going in for part owner. :) I still don't do muuuuuch in winter but I have a small presence.

3 people like this.
  11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i know several people that would call that the younger generation.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I have no idea how to ski or do any winter sports but i can mix a cocktail and pour beer! If I ever move to Germany I will come apply for the job :)

1 person likes this.
  13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well for me, it wasn't about the idea of a work ethic as such, the idea was, my self respect, if i make a commitment, well what's the point of making one, if i don't do everything in my power to keep it?

but i can understand no shows when their supervisor is such a complete ditz they have no idea what hours they're going to have from one day to the next.
    i've never worked fast food, but just eating at one you overhear things if you have alert ears, and i get the impression, that's a situation that's fairly common.

i've worked some fairly menial jobs, but i've never worked one of those places like that. how they can expect to get anything out of people they treat that way is just beyond me.

1 person likes this.
  14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Completely over qualified there. :D
    The last kid we hired literally was dumped on the porch by his parents screaming "he's got to get out of the house and work" he couldn't do anything but play video games. :D

I've completely taken him under my wing and he's taken to me quite a bit. I've got him working, losing weight, playing pool, talking to girls. :)

1 person likes this.
  15. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Being on time is dependent, in my opinion and experience, mostly on how you are raised....

I've seen parents raise kids that were the same, and are currently, the same. They don't seem to get that it REALLY IS A THING.

I've worked where if you were 5 minutes late, you were written up. So many write-ups and you were on probation...and I worked for the state at that time.

Anyway...it is solely on each person, but how one's parents is, is very important in how you are.

2 people like this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

We've an old fashioned thing at work that I don't personally use because I'm like a contract? But it's a clock when you slip in a card and it time stamps it for you. Almost like "clocking on and off" basically or what's that other saying... "punch time card"??

I'm a "get there 5mins early" kinda gal. My daddy's pet hate is people not being on time and all four of us daughters were all brought up the same way and though I'm decent, my eldest sister is atrocious for time. I'm not talking 5-10 even 20mins late. More like she says 11am, don't be surprised if she don't show by 2pm and not a phone call. And when my daddy does get the shits and rings her it's like "oh I'm just having some lunch". Lol. He literally is like, if she says 11am he may as well go out and do something until midday at the earliest.

1 person likes this.
  17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My mom is habitually late for everything whereas I am a 10 -15 minutes early kinda gal

Except for social events held by someone in my own generation..i will admit my generation is very relaxed regarding start times for casual social functions. If a friend says 7, i show up around 830. But i had to train myself to do that as I was tired of always being the first one to the party :D

In regards to work and appointments though, i've never noticed one generation being more punctual than another, just depends on the person

1 person likes this.
  18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm still the first at parties. :D but I don't feel comfortable going into a party where everyone is already there. I'd rather meet and greet as they come. :)

1 person likes this.
  19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't like to be first at parties! They still have to get started. Funny how these things can differ per person :)

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think its a very good thing for us to all be different.

party is just one tiny not very important example,
    but there are so many things,
    many of them things most of us love,
    that just wouldn't exist at all,
    if we were all any one way.