Why Can't The Younger Generation Show Up? Or Be On Time? For Anything?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pete's Draggin', Jan 9, 2017.

1. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

I work with 165 employees doing manual labor in the service industry.
    Out of 165 employees, 35 of them are under the age of 30. Some under age 20.
    These 35 employees I'm referring to don't want to show up for work on time. Call in to work to say their NOT coming in to work.
    DON'T call in at all and show up 4 days later like nothings happened.

I've noticed this with other things as well. Last week, I'm in the waiting room 30 minutes early to see my PCP. The office has many doctors.
    A young guy in his twenties comes in for his appointment. He says to the receptionist "sorry I'm late " 5 minutes go by another young guy comes in. He says "sorry I'm late, traffic" the reception replies " that must have been some traffic... your an hour late" .. chuckles and shakes her head.

I saw my chiropractor last month and he rewarded me with a dinner gift card. I asked him what's this was for. He said for always being on time, so many patients don't show up or their so late it backs me up for the day. I asked him who. He rolled his eyes and spoke of the younger generation in general.

What is with this younger generation and tardiness/lateness ?

What happened to giving your employer the respect being on time and show up to work every day?

The next generation coming next probably won't even want to work. An opinion I started to ponder after reading a few threads on hip recently.

3 people like this.
  2. Openmind693

Openmind693 Members

Those young adults were born with Pluto in the middle of Scorpio and through the beginning of Sagittarius. They have little regard for the "establishment". They want to do things THEIR way.

1 person likes this.
  3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Whats up with old people thinking an entire mass of people born within 15 years of each other must all be the same and have the exact same flaws?

3 people like this.
  4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

They need more sleep then old people.
    Because they're younger they have less experience with traffic.
    Maybe coming late didn't have enough impacting consequences before (probably school :p), so they continue with it because they think they can.
    Maybe they're spoiled. Or their job stinks :-D

1 person likes this.
  5. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I won't get out of bed for less than £100.

1 person likes this.
  6. Asmodean

That's why they got the Polish people.

1 person likes this.
  7. Asmodean

Uhm they're doing the company a disservice regardless wether they have those benefits or not.

1 person likes this.
  8. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

The bankers that collapsed the entire world economy committing massive fraud went on to use blue smoke and mirrors to put every child in America in trillions of dollars of debt without serving a single day in jail and are still being allowed to commit pretty much the same fraud on a regular basis. Ten percent of Mexico city has moved into the country suppressing wages for the last twenty years and, now, we've just elected a bigot president who contradicts every word that comes out of his own mouth. You would think the younger generation didn't have any role models!

1 person likes this.
  9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The real question is, why doesnt this company have an attendance policy in place? Why are people allowed back to work after 4 days of no call/no show? At my job a no call no show is considered a resignation. We're only allowed so many absenses/tardies a year before being fired. What kinda business are you running here lol, create an attendance policy and problem solved

4 people like this.
  10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i was wondering that myself. 48 years ago.

(just as a hint, maybe predictable hours, might help.

by that i'm not assuming they don't exist in the given example,
    though i don't recall seeing if it was stated,
    but in far too many service industry jobs these days,
    they don't, and opposition to unionization doesn't help either)

1 person likes this.
  11. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

In the 45 years that I worked I never had a job that would let me be late or take days off without arranging it in advance. Most of the time I worked I did not have any of those benefits.

2 people like this.
  12. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

My last position was working in an office in a university library. I had many work study students over the 21 years I was there (about 35 students total). When they were hired they were given a small handbook explaining what the expectations were and the consequences. I never had to fire a single student.

I did however have some issues with some coworkers who showed up on time and would call in before taking time off but spent much of their working days having lengthy personal conversations and personal phone conversations. Some days I wondered if they got any work done at all. I might participate for a few minutes now and then but I had too much work to get done. None of these workers were younger than 45. So I really can't be convinced that it is only an issue with young people. Seems it is a matter of work ethic. People either have it or don't.

4 people like this.
  13. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Employers count on the fact some people just naturally have a strong work ethic to make up for the fact wages are not what they should be. In recent decades there has also been an increase in employees stealing from their employers who often look the other way if it isn't serious theft. When you have a high turnover rate and wages are low replacing them can be more expensive then accepting a certain amount of loses.

2 people like this.
  14. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

400,000 employees.hmmmm. PepsiCo

1 person likes this.
  15. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

What comes around goes around whether anyone thinks its right or wrong which is why Charlotte NC just had a huge riot. Its all banking down there and they insist their slave labor have the appearance of being happy well treated slaves so they showed them what they thought of that bullshit. Here in Seattle they just raised minimum wage to $15.00/h which is twice the federal minimum with, of course, businesses screaming and yelling they would have to let people go or stop hiring, but it never happened because they were making too much money and the local cost of living is skyrocketing making finding anyone to replace them all but impossible.

Shit, 10% of Mexico city is working in the US and instead of busting all the businesses hiring them Donald Trump promised people a wall which looks likely to become a mere fence if they are lucky. I'll have sympathy for the Devil when he starts acting like a human being.

2 people like this.
  16. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Don't expect 40-year old's maturity from a bunch of 20-somethings. It's a road to endless disappointment. They'll grow up. If they don't, they'll get what's coming to them.

1 person likes this.
  17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I would have replied to this earlier, but I was stuck in traffic

2 people like this.
  18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

One does not simply...
    Care about the bosses feelings.

1 person likes this.
  19. lode

lode Banned

My job is pretty loosey goosey with the schedule. I have a 9:30 meeting I need to call into to report status. But otherwise if I need to work from home, or come in whenever. As long as I produce, they truly don't care.

That said, I understand all businesses can't run like that. And I'd never not email/not show unless I was in the hospital/jail.

What does manual labor in the service industry mean?

1 person likes this.
  20. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Get bent, OP. I haven't been late to work in years. I've only called in sick maybe 2-3 times the past 4 years. In fact, I see a lot of the OLDER people I work around being lazy good for nothing i dont wanna be here jackasses.

1 person likes this.