Deaf Children

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Captain Allan, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Captain Allan

Captain Allan Members

I'm worried about something. One of my younger relatives STILL wont communicate at the age of 6.
    His parents claim its autism but I don't think so. As far as I can remember, he has never spoken nor will he communicate verbally and he wont responds to speech. Pretty much, everyone bellows at him but he NEVER respond.
    Is this a side effect of autism in young children or is could he have some degree of hearing loss?

2. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Has this child been tested in any way?

It is relatively impossible for anybody here (or even there) to diagnose what is going on with this child...however, I do think it can be said something is going on that is not "normal". The child NEEDS to be thoroughly tested!

I most certainly hope the parents haven't just decided/self-diagnosed that "the child is autistic"...and left it at that. There are MANY things and ways of teaching and working with autistic children, and NONE of them are to "bellow" at the child. Also, autistic children aren't known for being talkative; but, they DO "talk" - say some words. smh

good grief this is sad

Irminsul and scratcho like this.
  3. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Autism usually involves repetitive body movements (arm waving, hand wiggles) and avoidance of physical contact and eye contact.

4. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Yes, from the way you describe the child, he could be displaying symptoms of autism. Some people with autism are never able to speak, and need to learn to communicate in alternative modalities.

He could also have hearing loss--does he respond to other noises? Startling noises? Noises associated with things he wants? (i.e. someone is preparing his lunch in the kitchen and he comes into the kitchen after hearing the food prep noises)

None of us can diagnose this child, and it seems pretty sad that he is 6 years old and does not have a formal diagnosis - at least from the information you've given us.

scratcho and guerillabedlam like this.
  5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I agree with youfreeme, I have met a kid around that age that had autism that was unresponsive in a similar way when spoken to. However, unlike what you are describing he did use words on occassion.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

could be autism, some of them don't speak at all. and then some of those start talking later and never stop.

if he was diagnosed as autistic, that sounds reasonable. if the parents are just guessing, they are being shitty parents and need to get off their asses and take him to see someone.

it doesn't sound like deafness to me. even if he can't hear anything, there should be some response if someone is screaming in his face.

1 person likes this.
  7. morrow

morrow Visitor

I think it's common in deaf children to be quite the opposite!
    One of the most common sign's of childhood deafness, is they bite people!
    My middle child was a biter, sure enough, he had a hearing problem.
    Google it, it's true.

8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The girl next door had a hearing problem and she use to bite my son.

That's really interesting.

1 person likes this.
  9. Captain Allan

Captain Allan Members

Now that I think about it; it may be some form of autism. After posting this, I saw him cover his ears when the neighbour was using a noisy garden tool. He also seems to communicate verbally by babbling nonsense, softly. He just never seems to respond to speech.

In the past, I've seen him conduct repetitive body movement i.e; spinning around on the floor for the better part of an hour[I believe the repetitive body movement is called 'stimming'] He also avoids making eye contact and is socially awkward.

I think his biggest problem is his parents though; they are both so lazy, they cant be bothered to look after him :(

10. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

If the kid has autism to that extent, he's fucked. What the parents do won't make any difference. You can't cure it.

11. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The earlier you start to work with an autistic child, the more effective the therapy will be.

12. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

exactly...as well as the level of involvement the parents have in the teaching process is invaluable.

There are a very few cases where children diagnosed with autism manage to "break through" and relate their problems...BUT this is far apart and few between. Even in break through type situations, there will always be issues. always, in some way or another...and sometimes they share with others their fight to either understand or be understood, later in life.

Kids that have problems learning or expressing in any modality need to be worked with asap. And by trained people. good grief This sounds like the opposite of a good situation for a 6 yr old kid with autism, or even a degree of it.

I personally think the brain can sort of re-wire itself and IF the brain starts working on the "issue" or problem early on, the easier it is.

scratcho and Aerianne like this.
  13. martinpo

martinpo Members

As I'm both adult and autistic, I think I can give some information here. Yes, repetitive body movements are called stimming, and they are really helpfull for autistic people (helps us stay calmer, and dealing with our hypersensitivities - to sounds, bright/flashing lights, smells, touch, whatever is tough to deal with for that specific autistic individual). Also, many autistic people never get to speak. And even the ones who "usually" speak, like me, may not be able to speak under some circumpstances (anxiety, tiredness). Many autistic people do what's called echolalia, which is a form of stimming, and consist of repeating words, sentences, or simply sounds (any sound). I do it when I'm really stressed out. Some non-speaking autistic child do develop language later in life (written, pictograms, or even verbal), but not all of them. Autism "therapies" are mostly harmfull, just google "autism therapy trauma" or something similar... or do speak with autistic adults (who are the real autism experts, you know...).
    There is nothing wrong in being autistic, the problem is being autistic within a society built for neurotypical (non-autistic) people. And the fact that neurotypical people have a strange habit of being afraid of anyone who is different from themselves.

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Interesting. But the problem here is parental neglect, seems to me. I've seen many stories about autistic kids and it looks like the earlier those around the children take a keen interest in seeing that the children have or attain some kind of meaningful lives according to the diagnosis given regarding the degree of affectation. That's my take as a layman. Nobody necessarily likes a squealer, however if the parents aren't interested seeing to this child---I'd squeal like a pig to someone that could straighten these people out. This little individual needs attention NOW, IMO.

15. martinpo

martinpo Members

All child deserve good care, I do agree on that.

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If as you say, his parents can't bother to look after him ---YOU NEED TO TAKE ACTION.

Lynnbrown likes this.
Tags: