Why Do Humans All Want To Know The Orgin Of The Universe?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Fueled by Coffee, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I know that.....:D

In all seriousness....it is better if we don't...as that is the safety net for the universe or multi universes.....No one can touch that....If we knew...someone would come along to destroy it...no doubt.

the magic and mystery of quantum mechanics is forever present!

and I like that.

2. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Sometimes its best to know when the crap is about to hit the fan so you can duck but, when ducking isn't an option, its best not to see it coming!

3. We investigate these things because our discoveries might be of some use to us. I think that is why such things are fascinating. It is useful to better understand why and how one exists. This is useful towards everything you do in life as you gauge the significance or lack thereof of your actions. I assume, though, that everyone ultimately understands, deep down inside, that whatever life and the universe are is an unsolvable cosmic mystery. If you're looking for an ultimate answer, that's the only one I can think of. Other than that, I don't think we can take any of the knowledge we gain to heart as being some kind of golden calf to worship and adore. Knowledge is useful or it isn't, but its being useful doesn't make it an ultimate truth of any sort.

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

So long and thanks for the fish.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You do realize that the only importance the creation of the universe in terms of being beneficial is to further develop a weapon that won't just destroy a state or a small nation, but an entire country and or world?

Do you think they plan to cook popcorn with such technology?

There is no benefit. You'll die. You'll die knowing or not knowing. Time won't stop. Age won't stop. Either way, you'll die. So, what's the importance?

Like I said before we already know the answers to these questions we've just chosen to forget them. They were with us once upon a time though, when we were at peace and for those of us who continue traditions, we also are at peace with it all. It's the atheists and silence folks that aren't at peace with it that surround their lives with a question that was answered 10,000 years ago in the ages of the pyramids and well before. Those folk were at peace too. Then somewhere along the way, someone decided they didn't relate to any of that, and thus, nothing taught was ever true and we basically fall into a dark age which is now. An age where everything we knew about ourselves is lost within ourselves. We now choose to believe things we don't know exist because someone of importance declared they do exist and that what we thought had existed cannot exist because we can't see and/or prove it. How ironic.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

now when we destroy the universe, we can just make a new one!

7. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

That's a cynical perspective, the truth is we already have way too much technology and can already destroy the entire planet slowly or quickly in any number of different ways. According to some ecologists we're already past the tipping point and require new technology just to deal with the mess we've already made before most of humanity starts to die. Ironically, sometime you have no choice but to have faith. What we need is a new scientific revolution because this one is killing us.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

"Destroying the Earth is harder than you may have been led to believe.

You've seen the action movies where the bad guy threatens to destroy the Earth. You've heard people on the news claiming that the next nuclear war or cutting down rainforests or persisting in releasing hideous quantities of pollution into the atmosphere threatens to end the world.

Fools.

The Earth is built to last. It is a 4,550,000,000-year-old, 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000-tonne ball of iron. It has taken more devastating asteroid hits in its lifetime than you've had hot dinners, and lo, it still orbits merrily. So my first piece of advice to you, dear would-be Earth-destroyer, is: do NOT think this will be easy."

9. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Within twenty years commercial fishing will no longer be possible, within fifty every land animal larger than a dog will be extinct. When Fukushima had a nuclear meltdown they had spent rods stacked right on top of the damned reactor. Just the spent fissionable material all the nuclear reactors have lying around in the open are enough to make the entire planet uninhabitable for millions of years. You don't have to destroy the earth, merely make it worthless for all practical purposes unless you enjoy living underground and eating mushrooms for the rest of your life.

1 person likes this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

And yet, the earth still remains, revolving around that orbit. ;)

Now listen, I spoke of this "peace". You are not at peace.

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The earth will continue and grow over all the human filth one day, and animals will adapt and evolve. But still, probably not a great idea to cause a mass extinction and make earth inhospitable to humans. Just my little ol' opinion

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

really the time scale is so huge, nothing about it actually affects our individual lives.
    on the other paw of course, we're surrounded by it,
    and curiosity, if animals, including humans, didn't have that,
    we'd probably all be plants or minerals.

1 person likes this.
  13. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

I let others contemplate their navel and talk about peace and love, while they enjoy the benefits of a world ruled by money and guns. People obviously need more than that and I write the book that can never be written.

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

When you contemplate the origin of everything...you will always run into a wall of limitations. The human mind can't comprehend its own structure anymore than an eyeball can see itself (disregarding the use of a mirror, which is cheating). Or better yet, anymore than a tongue can taste itself.

So just as we are always tempted to eat the apple we can't reach and think about how good it must taste...we also can't help wondering about how the universe started, assuming it had a start at all. I mean, maybe it was always here. But then we run into that , "How could it always have been here?" thought, so we go back to, "It must have started sometime, somewhere", but then we think, "Well where could it have started when, when there was no somewhere or when before the where and when started"?

So we wander off and invent religion, science, physics, mysticism, Voodoo and all that stuff to keep us from actually having to consider the basic problem of was there a beginning or not and if so what was before the beginning began.

It's all very complicatedly simple.

1 person likes this.
  15. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Top argument. I don't understand what you are saying, therefore it's wrong.

1 person likes this.
  16. storch

storch banned

If you think of all that is as being contained in time, then no answers concerning origins will suffice. Understanding that this part of your being is contained within a three-dimensional body that is subject to time is a beginning point to the never ending answer. Or maybe it's better to not give it any thought. Maybe this life is like a Ferris Wheel. You can sit back and get the most enjoyment and meaning out of it, or you can ponder the mechanism that makes it go round.

I once went to see some wise guy when he was visiting Canada. Before he came out, the man who introduced him said that an usher would be passing out pieces of paper on which we were to write a question for the wise guy to answer. So I wrote down my question, which was: Is the mass of individual humans an illusionary manifestation of the mind's attempt to seperate itself from itself?

When he had read the question, there was a some giggling from others in the crowd. But then they also giggled when the guy who introduced the wise guy mentioned that the wise guy had opened Woodstock with some . . . wise words. In answer to my question (it was about thirty years ago, so I'm paraphrasing here), he said, "Consider water. You don't have to know the parts that make up the water, or know where the water came from in order for it to quench your thirst or to provide you with a good swim. Knowing all there is to know about water will not add to the satisfaction it offers."

He said some more stuff, but that was the gist of his offering. I was somewhat disappointed because I thought that that was his way of telling me to stop thinking about the essence of reality and just live. It sounded like he was anti-science I guess. But years later, I get his meaning.

17. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

What if thee has a thirst for knowledge?

18. storch

storch banned

Knowledge concerning origins? If it serves you, pursue it.

19. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Toys in the Attic

Thirty spokes meet at a nave;
    Because of the hubs the wheels really spin!
    Clay is molded into a vase;
    Because of the hollow we can jam stuff in!
    Walls are built around a hearth;
    Because the door's unlocked, we can play inside the house!
    Thus many assume they can play with anything,

Especially, any toys stored away in their attic.

1 person likes this.
  20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

There once was a man from Nantucket...