Easy To Make Orange Household Cleaning Spray

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by Aerianne, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

We have some Cutie Oranges and the smell heavenly! I'm making some cleaning spray from the peels.

You just put orange peels in a jar and cover with cheap vinegar. In two weeks, strain the liquid into a spray bottle and there you have it.

Simple!

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yum. I currently make a cleaning solution out of diluted vinegar and essential oils but the essential oils dont do enough to mask the vinegar smell. I think orange infused vinegar is the answer to my problem!

3. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I use Castile soap for pretty much all my household cleaning. Baking soda for stubborn things that don't want to get clean. And occasionally vinegar.

It's cheap, easy to make because there is no real making involved, and it doesn't attack my body like most conventional household cleaning products do.

4. Aerianne

I took the lid off the jar after only 12 hours and didn't smell any vinegar. This is going to be really great in 2 weeks.

5. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This topic is very interesting. I have one of those smooth top ovens. I do not know what the top of those ovens are made of, but I have been using the product Fantastik made with orange action to clean the top. I cannot find this product in the stores, anymore. I did not realize that oranges have such cleaning power. I want to try your recipe here with orange peels and vinegar.

6. Aerianne

The citrus oil is added to many cleaners that I've seen.

I know vinegar is a great cleaner, too.

I've never made this but I know it will do a great job and it already smells like pure heaven.

1 person likes this.
  7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

This is interesting.
    I'll probably give it a try.

I'm weird though, I like the smell of cleaning products and bleach and all that (nail polish and gasoline too, but that is a whole different topic xD).

This seems like a good, more natural alternative.

8. Aerianne

The orange peels just smelled so good!

I hated throwing them away and remembered having seen the suggestion to make this cleaner.

9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

if you need to remove glue or muck left from labels/stickers, just rub an orange peel on it. ;)

the oil from the peels are great at cleaning stuff and it is also flammable.
    when I worked making natural flavors and colors we would get pure orange oil in 5 gallon steel containers that are used to ship hazardous/flammable material.
    there was an orange processing plant somewhere near here (Orange County, Ca...duh) that was built in the early 1900's. it was all oak construction. it caught fire and there was so much orange oil soaked into the wood floor that the fire dept. just had to sit and watch it burn to the ground because they couldn't put the fire out.

pattymary and Aerianne like this.
  10. Aerianne

That's what is in "Goo Gone"!

I had forgotten about that when I mentioned products containing orange oil.

1 person likes this.
  11. Aerianne

Today, I strained the orange peels through cheese cloth and poured the orange vinegar into a spray bottle. There is no trace of the vinegar smell and the orange aroma is still like heaven! I added water to fill the sprayer up. I'm actually looking forward to wiping down the kitchen tonight.

12. pattymary

pattymary Member

Maybe some dry rosemary leaves can be added to the mix, or the jamaican spice called "pimento",even some ginger,maybe also you can do the same with lime or lemon peel..
    I am making perfume soaking the peel of bitter oranges in cheap cologne , and adding other essentiel oils , and ginger, but it has to soak a few weeks, the citrus peels are wonderful , very powerful with a strong aroma ..
    I am adding to the cleaning liquid I am making with vinegar and citrus peel a little bit of the citrus juice itself..
    Thank you for sharing, this is a very interesting topic, we should try to find similar alternatives for a lot of products!!