The Fastest Way Off The Grid, Boats

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Nov 28, 2016.

1. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

2. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

About 71 percent of the Earth's surface is water-covered, and the oceans hold about 96.5 percent of all Earth's water.

3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Would be a great life yes,on the open seas.Boats like the one shown are expensive though.Also require upkeep and supplies.Do you have a boat,or planning a voyage? You can sometimes get positions for a voyage as crew if you have fitness and are ready to learn.

4. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Shoes are way cheaper.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Yes.A pair of deck shoes will be useful on the boat.

6. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Barefoot you get instant feedback due to the sense of touch as to how good a grip you have. You slip and possibly fall a lot less.

Also what's hard to explain to shoe people is in very little time you adapt and learn how to be barefoot, when was the last time you stubbed your finger or really hurt your hand ? If you spent your whole life in protective mittens the first week or two after you took them off you would be getting hurt all the time.

7. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Owned lots of boats, never wanted to go home. Used to sell them too.

They are so much less complicated then cars, the motor spins a prop one way it moves forward one way it moves back. Compared to a car with all the crazy electronics and linkages and solenoids its nothing.

[​IMG]

Still always trying to sell boats, buy the books on the motor and the other systems , learn the basics about batteries and electricity and its easy. Electricity really is easy.

I just need to find a lady to go cruising with, that is not so easy. My kids their school my job...

8. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Nope ,

Great Condo on the Water at Port Aransas Slip. Has Central A/C, Oversized heavy duty standing rigging and lifelines. .... Has most sails. Great boat for young couple willing to invest in a sound boat. Pictures are not up to date, but have had for 25 years and taken great care of her until the last 5 years due to family illness. She needs a new owner to spruce her up and enjoy as much as we have. Pictures do not represent current condition.Interior is still very nice and cushions are in good shape. Bottom job is good but needs minor cleaning. We will be in Port Aransas Marina in November.Can be viewed at Dock 5 slip 9. in Port Aransas City Marina. $ 2500 obo. Must sail due to family illness.
    Located in Port Aransas Dock 5 Slip Nine - BitterSweet, .....

So many of these https://www.sailboatlistings.com/

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I must say,some of those look like very good value for money.

10. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Try this, input length and price range http://www.boattrader.com/search

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i still think the biggest mistake in my life is when i bought a boat when i could have bought a piece of land.
    kind of hard to grow enough to eat to live indipendently on a boat.
    even a second hand cargo barge with the whole top of it a green house.
    any way all the boat i was able to afford was a little one, about 22ft i think it was.
    well that was all a long time ago. it wasn't fancy expensive like most boats are.
    it was the kind of little boats they used to use for commercial fishing way back before the 60s.

so unless you've got a lot of money, and if you do, i'm not sure i understand the point, i'd kind of be inclined to avoid getting one.
    that is unless, you could really afford to rig it up to sail around the world or something, and actually intended to do so.

its a great fantasy if you're young, but it really takes more then just buying the boat itself.

12. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

In the 90s there was an increase in people living on rivers using long foam rubber rafts, sometimes a hundred feet or more allowing them to walk up and down. They sometimes made crafts and whatnot and often traveled up and down the Mississippi or whatever on a seasonal basis. There are also a few anarchistic communes and landtrusts, but that's usually an austere lifestyle that isn't for everyone. In days of old when times got really tough they might see a similar trend with some men electing to become mountain men, move into the desert and create their own permaculture setup or whatever and, today, there has even been an increase in some living in the wilderness. I've had a few friends who have hiked the Appalachian trail and whatnot. One guy I met at a Rainbow Gathering ran around in a loin cloth and stole food out of people's gardens. He was nuts, but a good kind of nuts if you ask me. :)

1 person likes this.
  13. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I did this for about 3 years. Good times, learned a lot, grew a lot, but it was harder and easier than I imagined.