Immigrants In Europe

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Aerianne, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Isn't everything up for debate? :p

2. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Actually you need to go back before the UN to its predecessor the League of Nations – after the first world war the former territories of the Ottoman Empire were divided up between France and Britain, the partitions they set up had more to do with their concerns than those of the people who inhabited the area and were not very stable as a consequence a lot of the problems today seem from that period, and subsequent western meddling.

Ask why the Middle East is like it is today and the reply is we did it. It was set up for internal strife and civil war and on the occasions when things might have changed European and the US often stepped in to stop it.

A few things you could look up –

The French and British Mandates (Palestine UK 1923-48) (Syria France 1923-44) (Mesopotamia 1922-32)

The overthrow of democratic government in Iran by a Anglo-American sponsored coup and the US propping up of the Shah 1953-79

US involvement in Iran-Iraq war

US involvement in Afghanistan 1979-96

Spread of Wahhabism from Saudi Arabia in the region with tacit support from US

And of course the more recent - Afghan war and Occupation of Iraq

3. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

What about the Germans in Namibea ! What are they doing over there instead of going to Germany.

4. Asmodean

It's alright to travel halfway across the world in search of a better living if you're from the western world. The africans who are concerned about those immigrants impacting their culture in a negative way can easily be ignored. Especially if you can pay for some security :p Unless they properly organize of course, but hey that never lasts long!

5. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

If Europe were more tolerant towards their earlier immigrants, the Jews , all this probably wouldn't be happening now.

6. Asmodean

Not sure why you think that.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I just cried for like 30 minutes after reading an article about a family who has been tweeting from Aleppo - they tweeted today that this will be their last tweet, the bombardment is heavy and death comes soon. They had small childrn which is what really got to me.

I understand there are concerns about european immigration - people with intentions to harm Europeans can come in too easily, people who live in Muslim enclaves and dont respect the culture of their host country. I get it, i really do.

But i also feel so much disgust at how easily people can harden their hearts to refugees of war. As if they're coming to Europe just to spoil your fun, as if they're not fleeing death and destruction.

There is a certain self centeredness to the common attitude towards immigration. We see it here in America too..immigrants are a nefarious force pouring in to take your imaginary job picking oranges. As if none of them are fleeing drug cartels and dangerous gangs, or poverty and starvation.nope, its just all an evil conspiracy to fuck up your insulated little bubble of a world.

8. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Easy. Persecution of Jews by Hitler and others lead to Jews having their own homeland Israel in the middle east creating conflict with the arabs ,and creating the foundations for present-day Islamic terrorism.

This lead to 9/11 , american invasion of iraq, ISIS , flow of Syrian refugees to Europe due to the present war over there.

If the Jews, noted for their scientific, financial and cultural acumen were accepted in European society, Israel and the rest of the sequence would not have happened.

Even the turks liberally accepted the Jews who came as refugees due to european persecution in the late fifteenth century, calculating correctly that they would bring prosperity and development over there.

9. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yet, Veterans and homeless people, including children, die in the streets of the USA every day. Who cries for them?

1 person likes this.
  10. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

But they don't want to go to ANY safe country in Europe.
    They want Scandinavia and Germany.
    Because, you know, money and benefits.

[​IMG]

11. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

And a lot of these people wanting to come to Europe are not even SYRIAN refugees, and that is the problem.

I am sorry you can't find a well paying job in Algeria or Bangladesh, but times are tough and rough in Europe too, and economic migrants are most definitely not a priority.
    Not to mention the chaos...torn immigrant papers, fights between different immigrant groups, lying about age and place of origin....

If you all think Europe can and should take millions of these immigrants, with a background and culture so different and very incompatible with western, than you've become a boling frog.

12. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

13. Aerianne

If our homeless were under proper care, I'd say bring it.

As it stands, millions of our children are homeless and dying. How can the US want to appear so magnanimas when our babies are dying?

Estimates show that nearly 1.4 million children are homeless in this country every year. In the 2011-2012 school year, 1,166,339 homeless children and youth were enrolled in public schools. This is a 71 percent increase since the 2006-2007 school year. The number of homeless children increased in 31 states between 2012 and 2013, with leaps of 10 percent or more in 13 states and Washington, D.C.
    It is important to note that this number is not an estimate of the prevalence of child and youth homelessness; in fact, it is an underestimate, because not all school districts reported data to the U.S. Department of Education, and because the data collected represents only those children identified and enrolled in school. Finally, the number does not include all preschool-age children, or any infants and toddlers.http://www.phillytrib.com/news/health/number-of-homeless-children-and-adults-in-america-has-increased/article_08d18cac-6d3c-55ab-92f1-857321b82252.html

14. Aerianne

There are 4.1 million homeless across Europe, according to the European Union.

15. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

How would Balkan countries create an eastern EU with Turkey?
    You suggesting that just shows how little you know the area.

Your attempts at sarcasm are pathetic btw.

But I do agree about EU. It went terribly wrong. I find it sad how our politicians seem to think there is no alternative to EU.

EU is better off without Hungary?
    Lol, Hungary is much better off without EU.
    A country (meaning the government and politicians) should pay more attention to what its people want, and not what Bruxelles or some guy in the Netherlands want or think is right.
    And that is why EU fails.

But yes, it would be nice if you guys, you "proper" Europeans took these islamic immigrants because you have big hearts and are awesome, and let us, Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Austria, Greece be backwards and all that.

16. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Can Britain Join you Guys once we Got rid of the " Proper EU " ? Poland Loves us anyway Half of them are Already Here ! ( at least they Do try to Integrate ) ;)

17. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

As you probably all know,The European union project was initially designed to facilitate free trade between the nation's.This was fine and worked well.Then some power-crazed bureaucrats started in on it and got to work on trying to establish a "United States of Europe", a vision which had been fermenting since the 1950's in European circles of political and economic power.The endgame sought after was unlimited freedom of movement,economic harmonization,centralised neo-liberal government which took decision making away from sovereign states and creation of a pan-European army.(There is currently talk of this army right now.) All this is where things start to go wrong and to a large extent a reason for why Europe is in a mess right now,including the economic messes in Greece,Italy,Spain and Portugal.Thus we see Brexit in UK and nationalist movements gaining traction in France and Germany and Italy.We need to go back to the original idea of Europe and ditch the unelected officials in Brussels.Greece should default it's debt and return to it's own currency.Southern Europe has a different culture and pace to the North,as the attempted economic harmonisation,which is failing,has shown.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I do.

I dont get your point. Can your heart only hold love and empathy for Americans or something?

19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I understand this.

But i dont understand how people can so easily harden their heart against war refugees because of economic migrants.
    And i dont believe for a second that hundreds of refugees die at sea every day just to abuse Scandanavia's welfare system

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

To elaborate, i think its a fucking shame vets dont get the care they deserve.

And as for the homeless, i think that's a shame too. But also, give me a fucking break. The same people who are okay with relocating syrians here are also proponents of funding that would benefit the homeless and children in need. And the same people who are against relocating syrians are the same people who are vehemently against food stamps and welfare and any kind of benefits for the poor.

It isnt like funding to help the American poor is magically going to appear if we stop allowing immigrants in. Funding for the poor will continue to be cut either way, especially for the next 4 years