How Do Black People Fare In Other Countries?

Discussion in 'People' started by Jimbee68, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I know even most conservatives would agree, they fare pretty badly in the USA. And I hope most would agree with me, that is probably the failure of public policy. They do poorly in Africa too. But that isn't surprising. Many Arab people fare badly in Africa. And many Asians do poorly in Asia. There are sadly few places in this world, as rich as western cultures.

But how do Black people do in, say, Europe? Or Canada? Or Australia, for that matter?

I trust you can see where I am going with this.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Dunno, not many black people here where I am

3. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Treated the same as everyone else and n the UK.
    Looked down on in Thailand, dark skin is considered low class.

4. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

I hear they're not doing too well in parts of Nigeria either.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

There are still people in Nigeria? I thought they all crossed the Sahara.

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

How a person fares in this country has more to do with the situation they're born into. It has more to do with socioeconomics than race. A black child born into a middle class household with both parents present has the same, if not more opportunities than a white child. The idea that black people fare worse than white people simply because they're black is bullshit perpetuated by the liberal media.

4 people like this.
  7. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

In the UK black people have to contend with some racism, but generally they are pretty much integrated in many ways. The focus of British racists has shifted over time towards Muslims and east Europeans.
    Thing is, that although the Brits were very much involved in the slave trade back in the imperial period, the slaves went mainly to colonies like America or the West Indies. There were very few slaves here. Immigration of Blacks, mainly from the Caribbean started after WWII when Britain had a labour shortage and many were encouraged to come over.
    British racism is constructed differently from the US variety partly for that reason. Backs were looked down on historically, but from a distance.
    There's the usual racist fear of anyone different, but nothing like you've had in America.

When Britain was an imperial power, they had to tell themselves that blacks and other non-Europeans were inferior in order to justify to themselves colonizing their lands. I think that's really one of the main the bases of British racism even now with regard to blacks. It's slightly different in the case of the other immigrants I mentioned.

I wouldn't say that blacks don't experience racism here or that they are fully accepted by everyone, but it's not as bad as the USA to judge from what I see in the media, which as I've never been to America is the only source to asses things.

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Conversating with americans (like on here) about these topics is already a second source ;)

And what you say about blacks in the UK is roughly similar to here in the Netherlands. Slaves were transported to the colonies, not our society. Many people esp. in the countryside rarely even saw a black person at all :p This changed after lets say the 1970s.

9. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I suppose I broadly classify this as 'media' - true it's more intimate, and yes, I've learned quite a lot conversing with Americans.

The racism against blacks was worse here back in the 70's - there were TV sit coms that would now be regarded as blatant racism. But it's changed and it's still changing. I myself didn't ever see a black person until I was about 6. Kid from a small provincial town where there was and is little work for newcomers. The blacks that have come to live here now do seem quite well integrated, and we don't have any real issues with racism in this neighbourhood.
    Of course there's still some anti-black racism, but far less nowadays.

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

not too many in my part of Canada

or maybe there is but i never noticed

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I once had a black veteran tell me he was treated very kindly in Europe, but the day he returned to San Diego someone yelled ****** at him out their car window.

But like others have said, black people in europe are a bit of an anomoly. Whereas where i am in the southern US they make up roughly 30% of the population. Then again, i dont really see racism a lot in the south. I actually didnt realize racism was still an issue until I visited NY about 10 years ago and had an interesting experience with it.

12. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

That reminds me....a few months ago I talked to a few Canadians who were here on vacation.
    And they were telling me how this is a vacation for their eyes, how nice is to see just white people on the streets...no black people, no Pakis, no Arabs.

But you know, it is what it is.

There's just not many of them here. For now.

13. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

sounds like they were probably from toronto or montreal.....

the big cities seem to have more immigrants (because they do)

im not in a big city

14. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

They were from Ottawa

15. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

thats our capital..

16. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Yup

17. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Blacks fare well in the US. Just unfortunately not as well as the rest of the population. Rat has a point though where you come from effects where you will more likely end up. Being that a higher percentage of blacks grow up poor and in slums it turns into race talks when really the only color it is about is green.
    Let me just say blacks bring a lot of this on themselves (generally speaking) from rioting in their own neighborhood not supporting black businesses. And remember the video of 5 against 1 trump supporter. Acts like that continue to contribute to some stereotypes that effect them in other aspects like hiring for jobs.

18. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Of an age when I recall the 60's turning from 'Black and White' to Colour.
    There was a definite tide of; and in some cases accepted Racism within society - typified in the Sidney Poitier film "To Sir, with Love".
    TV (comedy) shows like 'Love thy Neighbour', 'Mind your language' and the infamous 'Till Death us do part' - along with the character 'Chalky' in 'On the Buses' are somewhat embarrassing to watch - as at the time -we all laughed (I say so as when our TV broke, I watched them with my friends who were mixed Afro Caribbean and White race family)
    Thankfully times have changed and it is the value of persona which tends to be accepted generally.
    Although there is still a degree of arrogant superiority from some (of dubious personal character) the equal opportunity law along with drive for diversity amongst communities, things are a lot better than they were - however I guess there is always room for improvement

As a White male, I male this only as an observation - for I am not, "Young, Gifted and Black"

19. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

I have read that the Kuwaiti royals were descendants of black slaves.

And many europeans and european-americans fare badly in Europe and America.

Which means you have not travelled much. Typical frog in the well syndrome.

Also do bear in mind that so-called western nations became prosperous through colonialism and industrial revolution in the last three centuries using scientific inputs from the east as its base.

Three to four centuries of prosperity is not really much compared to the milleniums of prosperity enjoyed by ancient civilizations in India and China.

Do not be mesmerized by all the wealth and splendour you might find around you and become arrogant on that account. There have been many,many who had that kind of arrogance in the past only to end up snuffed out by time.

20. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

I believe most of it is attitude.

For example, the small town near me in Indiana has a few Black families, who have been here for generations.
    They are very good people, and are treated as such. But when they go to Indy or another large town, they get picked
    on by other Blacks because they don't act "Black" enough. Indiana is "supposed to be racist", so I hear from people who aren't from Indiana.
    I've even came across this on other message boards, when I "friend" a black woman from out of state.
    Generally, I find that Blacks are more racist than white people are.