Click to shop at Zamnesia
Photo
- - - - -

How Do Black People Fare In Other Countries?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Jimbee68

Jimbee68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 01:57 AM

I know even most conservatives would agree, they fare pretty badly in the USA. And I hope most would agree with me, that is probably the failure of public policy. They do poorly in Africa too. But that isn't surprising. Many Arab people fare badly in Africa. And many Asians do poorly in Asia. There are sadly few places in this world, as rich as western cultures.

But how do Black people do in, say, Europe? Or Canada? Or Australia, for that matter?

I trust you can see where I am going with this.

patriot.gif smash.gif

#2 Piaf

Piaf

• PipPipPip
  • 24,242 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 02:11 AM

Dunno, not many black people here where I am

#3 OldDude2

OldDude2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 776 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted November 11 2016 - 02:39 AM

Treated the same as everyone else and n the UK.
Looked down on in Thailand, dark skin is considered low class.

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

#4 TheGhost

TheGhost

Auuhhhhmm ...

• PipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts
  • LocationCan't get there from here

Posted November 11 2016 - 03:29 AM

I hear they're not doing too well in parts of Nigeria either.

We're all foreigners .... almost everywhere.

#5 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 33,659 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted November 11 2016 - 03:37 AM

There are still people in Nigeria? I thought they all crossed the Sahara.

Posted Image

#6 Pressed Rat

Pressed Rat

Do you even lift, bruh?

• PipPipPip
  • 32,852 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 04:07 AM

How a person fares in this country has more to do with the situation they're born into. It has more to do with socioeconomics than race. A black child born into a middle class household with both parents present has the same, if not more opportunities than a white child. The idea that black people fare worse than white people simply because they're black is bullshit perpetuated by the liberal media.
  • 6-eyed shaman, fourth wise man and OldDude2 like this

Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone but it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

#7 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,182 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 04:23 AM

In the UK black people have to contend with some racism, but generally they are pretty much integrated in many ways. The focus of British racists has shifted over time towards Muslims and east Europeans.

Thing is, that although the Brits were very much involved in the slave trade back in the imperial period, the slaves went mainly to colonies like America or the West Indies. There were very few slaves here. Immigration of Blacks, mainly from the Caribbean started after WWII  when Britain had a labour shortage and many were encouraged to come over.

British racism is constructed differently from the US variety partly for that reason. Backs were looked down on historically, but from a distance.

There's the usual racist fear of anyone different, but nothing like you've had in America.

When Britain was an imperial power, they had to tell themselves that blacks and other non-Europeans were inferior in order to justify to themselves colonizing their lands. I think that's really one of the main the bases of British racism even now with regard to blacks. It's slightly different in the case of the other immigrants I mentioned.

I wouldn't say that blacks don't experience racism here or that they are fully accepted by everyone, but it's not as bad as the USA to judge from what I see in the media, which as I've never been to America is the only source to asses things. 

#8 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 33,659 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted November 11 2016 - 05:22 AM

Conversating with americans (like on here) about these topics is already a second source ;)

And what you say about blacks in the UK is roughly similar to here in the Netherlands. Slaves were transported to the colonies, not our society. Many people esp. in the countryside rarely even saw a black person at all :P This changed after lets say the 1970s.

Posted Image

#9 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,182 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 05:38 AM

Conversating with americans (like on here) about these topics is already a second source ;)

And what you say about blacks in the UK is roughly similar to here in the Netherlands. Slaves were transported to the colonies, not our society. Many people esp. in the countryside rarely even saw a black person at all :P This changed after lets say the 1970s.

I suppose I broadly classify this as 'media' - true it's more intimate, and yes, I've learned quite a lot conversing with Americans. 

The racism against blacks was worse here back in the 70's - there were TV sit coms that would now be regarded as blatant racism. But it's changed and it's still changing. I myself didn't ever see a black person until I was about 6. Kid from a small provincial town where there was and is little work for newcomers. The blacks that have come to live here now do seem quite well integrated, and we don't have any real issues with racism in this neighbourhood. 

Of course there's still some anti-black racism, but far less nowadays.

#10 Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

the word is the bird

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,332 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted November 11 2016 - 09:33 AM

not too many in my part of Canada

or maybe there is but i never noticed

#11 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 11,509 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 09:58 AM

I once had a black veteran tell me he was treated very kindly in Europe, but the day he returned to San Diego someone yelled nigger at him out their car window.

But like others have said, black people in europe are a bit of an anomoly. Whereas where i am in the southern US they make up roughly 30% of the population. Then again, i dont really see racism a lot in the south. I actually didnt realize racism was still an issue until I visited NY about 10 years ago and had an interesting experience with it.

Edited by Meliai, November 11 2016 - 09:58 AM.

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#12 Piaf

Piaf

• PipPipPip
  • 24,242 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 10:23 AM

not too many in my part of Canada

or maybe there is but i never noticed

That reminds me....a few months ago I talked to a few Canadians who were here on vacation.
And they were telling me how this is a vacation for their eyes, how nice is to see just white people on the streets...no black people, no Pakis, no Arabs.

But you know, it is what it is.

There's just not many of them here. For now.

#13 Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

the word is the bird

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,332 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted November 11 2016 - 10:24 AM

sounds like they were probably from toronto or montreal.....

the big cities seem to have more immigrants (because they do)

im not in a big city 

#14 Piaf

Piaf

• PipPipPip
  • 24,242 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 10:31 AM

sounds like they were probably from toronto or montreal.....

the big cities seem to have more immigrants (because they do)

im not in a big city

They were from Ottawa

#15 Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

the word is the bird

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,332 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted November 11 2016 - 10:39 AM

thats our capital..

#16 Piaf

Piaf

• PipPipPip
  • 24,242 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 10:41 AM

thats our capital..

Yup

#17 penguinsfan13

penguinsfan13

• PipPipPip
  • 10,571 posts

Posted November 11 2016 - 10:58 AM

Blacks fare well in the US. Just unfortunately not as well as the rest of the population. Rat has a point though where you come from effects where you will more likely end up. Being that a higher percentage of blacks grow up poor and in slums it turns into race talks when really the only color it is about is green.
Let me just say blacks bring a lot of this on themselves (generally speaking) from rioting in their own neighborhood not supporting black businesses. And remember the video of 5 against 1 trump supporter. Acts like that continue to contribute to some stereotypes that effect them in other aspects like hiring for jobs.

doo be doo be doo, beware of the penguins.

#18 Wolf Angel.

Wolf Angel.

• PipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • LocationWyth in the Shaw = Manchester - England

Posted November 12 2016 - 03:54 AM

Of an age when I recall the 60's turning from 'Black and White' to Colour.

There was a definite tide of; and in some cases accepted Racism within society - typified in the Sidney Poitier film "To Sir, with Love".

TV (comedy) shows like 'Love thy Neighbour', 'Mind your language' and the infamous 'Till Death us do part' - along with the character 'Chalky' in 'On the Buses' are somewhat  embarrassing to watch - as at the time -we all  laughed (I say so as when our TV broke, I watched them with my friends who were mixed Afro Caribbean and White race family)

Thankfully times have changed and it is the value of persona which tends to be accepted generally.

Although there is still a degree of arrogant superiority from some (of dubious personal character) the equal opportunity law along with drive for diversity amongst communities, things are a lot better than they were - however I guess there is always room for improvement 

As a White male, I male this only as an observation - for I am not, "Young, Gifted and Black" 

"And in the End, the Love You Take, is Equal to the Love, You Make"

< Peace + Love . Protest + Protect . Save the Planet > 

#19 Ajay0

Ajay0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted November 20 2016 - 11:37 AM

I know even most conservatives would agree, they fare pretty badly in the USA. And I hope most would agree with me, that is probably the failure of public policy. They do poorly in Africa too. But that isn't surprising. Many Arab people fare badly in Africa. And many Asians do poorly in Asia. There are sadly few places in this world, as rich as western cultures.

But how do Black people do in, say, Europe? Or Canada? Or Australia, for that matter?

I trust you can see where I am going with this.

patriot.gif smash.gif

I have read that the Kuwaiti royals were descendants of black slaves.

Many Arab people fare badly in Africa. And many Asians do poorly in Asia. There are sadly few places in this world, as rich as western cultures.

And many europeans and european-americans fare badly in Europe and America.

There are sadly few places in this world, as rich as western cultures.

Which means you have not travelled much. Typical frog in the well syndrome.

Also do bear in mind that so-called western nations became prosperous through colonialism and industrial revolution in the last three centuries using scientific inputs from the east as its base.

Three to four centuries of prosperity is not really much compared to the milleniums of prosperity enjoyed by ancient civilizations in India and China.

Do not be mesmerized by all the wealth and splendour you might find around you and become arrogant on that account. There have been many,many who had that kind of arrogance in the past only to end up snuffed out by time.

When the robot mind is mastered, undisciplined thinking ceases and is replaced by awareness. Awareness can know love. You can only experience the new when you are aware, when you are without thought. -- Barry Long

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. -- Eckhart Tolle

#20 fourth wise man

fourth wise man

•  Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted December 12 2016 - 10:25 AM

I believe most of it is attitude.

For example, the small town near me in Indiana has a few Black families, who have been here for generations.

They are very good people, and are treated as such. But when they go to Indy or another large town, they get picked 

on by other Blacks because they don't act "Black" enough. Indiana is "supposed to be racist", so I hear from people who aren't from Indiana.

I've even came across this on other message boards, when I "friend" a black woman from out of state.

Generally, I find that Blacks are more racist than white people are.

#21 Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationAnother Universe

Posted December 12 2016 - 11:10 AM

Blacks fare particularly bad in the US right now because the US has the lowest social mobility rates in the developed world thanks to all the wealth accumulating at the top over the last half century. Roughly the poorest one quarter to one third of the population now has little chance of getting ahead in life and black poverty rates are the highest, in part, due the legacy of slavery. By some estimates slavery did not completely end in the US until we did away with the chain gangs in the 1950s and, in the US, the worst sin of all is being poor. People can argue all the rhetoric they want, but the poorest Americans have 30% less disposable income than Canadians and 60% less than Norwegians with poverty in America being economically synonymous with living in more affluent parts of the third world. Socially, the US has the worst social record in the developed world in every category except infant deaths which only changed recently as a result of people throwing an enormous amount of money at solving the problem of low infant birth weight. Of course, the worst social problems are all concentrated among the poor and the Bible Belt which has an enormous black population and, by some reckonings only began recovering from the civil war and reconstruction within the last several decades.

Of particular note is the segregation of neighborhoods in the US. Despite it being illegal the practice is still widespread and thanks to all of these factors many blacks have abandoned attempting to integrate into society more. Some in the south in particular have returned to forming all black neighborhoods to such an extent they are reviving the use of specific polyglot and other languages such as Gullah and, even in urban areas, have begun to create their own mythologies and whatnot as their neighborhoods become more insular. Every major city in the US over the last few decades has walled off their ghettos just as Europe did during the dark ages with the Jews.

Edited by Wu Li Heron, December 12 2016 - 11:18 AM.

• rollingalong likes this

#22 MorphGirl

MorphGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:34 PM

Edited by MorphGirl, Yesterday, 01:41 PM.

#23 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 11,509 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:30 PM

Of particular note is the segregation of neighborhoods in the US. Despite it being illegal the practice is still widespread and thanks to all of these factors many blacks have abandoned attempting to integrate into society more. Some in the south in particular have returned to forming all black neighborhoods to such an extent they are reviving the use of specific polyglot and other languages such as Gullah and, even in urban areas, have begun to create their own mythologies and whatnot as their neighborhoods become more insular. Every major city in the US over the last few decades has walled off their ghettos just as Europe did during the dark ages with the Jews.

Gullah society has always existed in coastal regions of SC, they arent doing it to make a statement or to purposely segregate themselves.

Thats all I really have to say about that.

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#24 Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationAnother Universe

Posted Yesterday, 05:08 PM

Gullah society has always existed in coastal regions of SC, they arent doing it to make a statement or to purposely segregate themselves.

Thats all I really have to say about that.

Gullah is one of those languages kept alive largely for the sake of sentiment, but many of the south eastern US dialects where they were actually speaking pretty standard English, just with a heavy accent, were becoming more intelligible to outsiders for many decades, in part, I assume simply due to increased traffic and mass media influences. Now, they are going right back to the old "Mush Mouth" which was the name of a character in the Quick Draw McGraw cartoons. It can be difficult to understand two words coming out of their mouths no matter how hard they try to make themselves intelligible. 

Edited by Wu Li Heron, Yesterday, 05:31 PM.

Click to shop at Royal Queen Seeds