Diabetic Diet

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Duncan, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I need to go on a long-term diet that will not do damage to the vital organs. I have been considering following the guidelines of the American Diabetes Association's diet. It seems healthy, well balanced, and moderate.
    Has anyone had success with maintaining on it ?

2. morrow

morrow Visitor

I'm type 1..all my life!

I've retinopathy, but I believe that's due to my lack of good diet during my mummy years..I've no ulsers or anything else!

It's not just about diet! But a few tips I use!

Always go for no added sugar, but check the label, it sometimes gives you levels of natural sugars!

Think of carbs as being sugar, keep them low!

Stay away from sugar alternatives, no sugar is best, but Stevia has less side effects! Due to it being plant based!

Don't go avoiding your treats, just change your treats!

Recommended diets are good, but sometimes too strict, don't forget these are not produced for individual needs..

Get yourself a good book to understand food! Diets are great, but understanding is better, you will become a master of your own diet!

Exercise and hydration! So-so important..

Good luck

3. alexbfr

alexbfr Members

I'm on a low glycemic diet, which has been helpful for me. Keeps the blood sugar from spiking after meals. Pretty hard to get down because it takes some research to figure out low glycemic foods but pretty effective.