Languages Other Than English And Auxiliary Verbs.

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Jimbee68, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I don't care what anyone may say, I think English has to be one of the most simple languages there are. Oh, sure, we have a couple of sounds, that are rare among other languages, especially Romance. And our spelling system is rather silly.

But most of the meaning of our language, is conveyed with word order. And that never changes. And most of our verb senses is expressed thru auxiliary verbs. Really, our verbs only take four possibly endings: -s, -ed, -ing and rarely -en. As I said, the rest is conveyed with auxiliary verbs. Linking verbs, in other words, like "have" and "to be" and so forth.

My question is simply, Are there any other languages, anywhere in the world, that relies so much on auxiliary verbs, like modern English does?

Because, whenever I look up the grammatical structure of a language, almost invariably, it is much more complicated, I have found. I haven't looked up many. But still.

Latin and Greek, of course, are rather complicated, probably because they are so old, and unchanged with time. But one time, I got this book on French verbs. And I was surprised how complex their verb tenses were.

Again, is there any other language that comes close to English, in this regard?

:guitarist: [​IMG]