What Do People Think When They See My Peace Symbol?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Jimbee68, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

As I've said before, I am kind of an anachronistic hippie. Born in 1968, so too young to be a true hippie, I guess. So I wear a peace symbol. I wear it to mean hippie, though. Not necessarily peace.

More on that. I actually am more of a pragmatist, than a pacifist. Although I think peace should always be tried first. And politically, I guess you could say, I am very independent. I make up my own mind. I don't need anyone else to tell my what category I fit in.

But there is no symbol for hippie--or independent. So I have been wearing a peace sign, in one form or another, for about 15-20 years now. So what do people think when they see it? I should also point out, I typically dress somewhat conservatively too. Certainly nothing else I wear says hippie, or anything like that.

Oh, yeah. And quick story on how I got the peace sign. About 20 years ago or so, I was at this floor sale at a local college. And this man was selling Rastafarian jewelry. And I noticed he was selling a peace sign that was the exact size I wanted. But it had Rastafarian beads on it. But I noticed, they could easily be taken off. I didn't have enough money with me at the time to buy it, too. But when I told him, he said "No problem, mon". Wasn't that nice of him? I do still wonder, though, why he thought a white boy like me would be buying Rastafarian trinkets :artist: [​IMG] .

But my original question: What do people think?

:daisy: :daisy: [​IMG]

2. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

If you don't post a photo, we can't comment what we think of it.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I see runes :unsure:

1 person likes this.
  4. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I don't have a photo. But as I said, it is a small peace sign, I wear around my neck, along with generally conservative attire. HTH :) .

5. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

In this day, it's just another piece of jewelry.

What it may elicit from others is wholly dependent on their personal perceptions and paradigm.

my question is why do you feel the need to adorn yourself with some symbol that does lend to others applying labels and assumptions concerning their perception of you?
    but I've always been fascinated with the human need to identify with a group, regardless of how far removed they may actually be from that group.
    Sports are a great example. I always piss my friends off whenever they start in with stuff like "we almost won it in the third period...." I remind them they didn't do shit but sit on their ass and watch TV.

6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Hippie is by Nature, Character and Action - and not Age restrictive
    Any Peace, Sign/Token/Symbol is always appreciated - by those who matter :)

1 person likes this.