43 replies to this topic

#21 Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood

Senior Moment

• PipPipPip
  • 18,749 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted October 28 2016 - 04:25 PM

so i'm the only one here who still has a thick layer of bug guts left on my windshield from the summer?

Maybe.... The bugs on mine are from the summer before last.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"there was something big happening that night, decisions were made and destiny was cast..."~jfw~

~ I chop wood, I carry water, I tend the Earth, This is my prayer. ~

#22 OldDude2

OldDude2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 776 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted October 28 2016 - 05:15 PM

Wow, three months of snow in the winter? Imagine that.

Most UK winters you get one or two days snow, three months would be 60x more than normal

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

#23 penguinsfan13

penguinsfan13

• PipPipPip
  • 11,669 posts

Posted October 28 2016 - 05:25 PM

I just saw a floating brown spot in my yard. There is no shortage of bugs.

doo be doo be doo, beware of the penguins.

#24 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman

Genderfluid Muslim gaythiest

• PipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts
  • LocationInvading your echochamber

Posted October 28 2016 - 05:43 PM

How were they able to determine the planet's wildlife population before society was invented? And be able to compare it to now?

I mean there is no denying that a dozen or so species go extinct every year. But there are also populations that rapidly grow, as well as decline. Depending on ecological conditions and varying factors.

Pardon Julian Assange

9e48d74a-9037-431f-a117-7763e16bed79_zps

#25 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 20,708 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted October 28 2016 - 07:11 PM

How were they able to determine the planet's wildlife population before society was invented? And be able to compare it to now?

I mean there is no denying that a dozen or so species go extinct every year. But there are also populations that rapidly grow, as well as decline. Depending on ecological conditions and varying factors.

As I state in the OP and as it mentions in the article these figures are taken into account since 1970. 

Bvztpo7.png

#26 The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead

Pie Fingers

• PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted October 28 2016 - 08:11 PM

Most UK winters you get one or two days snow, three months would be 60x more than normal

Not really because we sometimes get winters like that. Ten twenty years ago everyone be like, why don't we get winters like in the 1970s anymore? Global warming. Now people be like, why are we getting winters like the 1970s again? Oh aye, global warming again.

The UK is blessed with an eternal random choice between 4 different weather systems, which it sits smack bang in the middle of. Our daily weather changes by the minute and every year, every season is different. British meteorology is like a box of chocolates...

Edited by The Walking Dickhead, October 28 2016 - 08:17 PM.

#27 hotwater

hotwater

• PipPipPip
  • 23,463 posts
  • LocationNorthern New England

Posted October 28 2016 - 08:51 PM

Since the start of the Cambrian period approximately 500 million years ago 99.9% of all species that ever existed have gone extinct.

One day that will also include man

Hotwater 

Never! This is outrageous. I'm through with it. I'll have no more of this hell-spawn!

#28 The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead

Pie Fingers

• PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted October 28 2016 - 08:56 PM

So basically, if you want to meet an alien you don't need a space ship. Just hang around for 500 million years in cryogenic suspension?

#29 hotwater

hotwater

• PipPipPip
  • 23,463 posts
  • LocationNorthern New England

Posted October 28 2016 - 09:34 PM

Dude if you’re in Cryonic suspension for 500 million years it would mean during the intervening years they didn’t discover a viable method of restoring you from your frozen state.

You would be to them, like we are to an amoeba 

Hotwater

Never! This is outrageous. I'm through with it. I'll have no more of this hell-spawn!

#30 OldDude2

OldDude2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted October 28 2016 - 10:15 PM

Dude if you’re in Cryonic suspension for 500 million years it would mean during the intervening years they didn’t discover a viable method of restoring you from your frozen state.
You would be to them, like we are to an amoeba

It worked for 'Wayward Pines"

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

#31 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted October 29 2016 - 06:06 AM

I would consider no bugs on my windscreen an improvement.I'm also waiting for the promised warmer summers in the UK, instead they just predicted 3 months of winter snow.

It is in the 80s here, two days before November.

Our springs have consistentally started earlier, summers hotter (except for 3 summers ago when it rained all day every day all summer, but that is also very unusual - but it was heavenly) and indian summers lasting through the end of fall for the past few years. It was 75 on Christmas Eve last year. It felt disgusting.

Of course climate isnt the same as weather so neither of us are really proving anything by giving our weather reports, but I did want to point out just because you arent seeing anything unusual doesnt mean other people arent either.

Overall the last 3 years have broken records as being the hottest on record.

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#32 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 20,708 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted October 29 2016 - 06:43 AM

I had a teacher suggest that "Global Warming" is somewhat of a misnomer, suggesting that the "Warming" term is accurate to describe the conditions of a lot of places but other places may experience more intense cold as well. It's suggesting more of an instability in the climate and he quipped that it should be called "Global Weirding".

Bvztpo7.png

#33 NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas

Old Fart

• PipPipPip
  • 7,302 posts
  • LocationIn the bowels of all mankind

Posted October 29 2016 - 06:44 AM

naivete and ignorance permeate any discussion concerning these issues.

local patterns and cyclical fluctuations are not what the issue is, it's the rise in the mean global temp that is the problem.

sure 99.9% of all species since the Cambrian period have gone extinct, and the vast majority of those extinctions were because the species were unable to adapt to a changing environment.

now we still have the naturally occurring changes and fluctuations compounded by human activities and the net result in regards to this thread is an exponential rise in species dying off.

concerning weather patterns, well it's all regulated by the moisture content of the atmosphere, so higher temps = more evaporation=higher humidity=changes in climate/weather patterns.

We teach lessons on the water cycle to 4-5 year old kids, and they get it, what's up with some supposedly educated adults?

it really isn't that hard to comprehend, why do some folks have such a problem.

humans started altering the chemical composition of the atmosphere whenever we domesticated cattle. ;)

"Do the walls close in and suffocate ya,
you ain't got no friends and all the others they hate ya,
does the life you been leading gotta go?"

"get your shoes and socks on people,
it's right around the corner"

"the poodle bi-i-ites,
the poodle chews it"

#34 NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas

Old Fart

• PipPipPip
  • 7,302 posts

Posted October 29 2016 - 06:48 AM

I had a teacher suggest that "Global Warming" is somewhat of a misnomer, suggesting that the "Warming" term is accurate to describe the conditions of a lot of places but other places may experience more intense cold as well. It's suggesting more of an instability in the climate and he quipped that it should be called "Global Weirding".

all of which is readily explained and understood by higher moisture content in the atmosphere.

Hell, if enough of the north Atlantic ice shelves melt, it could disrupt the Gulf stream and plunge the planet into another ice age.

gotta look at the entire picture, the gestalt

"the poodle bi-i-ites,
the poodle chews it"

#35 OldDude2

OldDude2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted October 29 2016 - 06:56 AM

gotta look at the entire picture, the gestalt

Your government will never allow you to see 'the big picture'.

#36 NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas

Old Fart

• PipPipPip
  • 7,302 posts

Posted October 29 2016 - 03:36 PM

LOL, I'm smarter than that...;)

• OldDude2 likes this

"the poodle bi-i-ites,
the poodle chews it"

#37 relaxxx

relaxxx

• PipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted October 30 2016 - 01:18 AM

That could be true for either side of our arguments. If the situation is as bad as I'm afraid that it might be, it would be in our governments and our 1%'ers best interest to keep people in the dark about it. 

If you knew that society was going to break down in 5 years, would you tell everyone and risk it breaking down tomorrow? Or would you use the next 5 years to prepare and give yourself more of a survival advantage? 

#38 Wolf Angel.

Wolf Angel.

• PipPipPip
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationWyth in the Shaw = Manchester - England

Posted October 30 2016 - 01:33 AM

If you knew that society was going to break down in 5 years, would you tell everyone and risk it breaking down tomorrow? Or would you use the next 5 years to prepare and give yourself more of a survival advantage? 

It is this which is the Biggest fear

"And in the End, the Love You Take, is Equal to the Love, You Make"

< Peace + Love . Protest + Protect . Save the Planet > 

#39 OldDude2

OldDude2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted October 30 2016 - 01:45 AM

I'm 60, I don't care what happens in 5 years.
Only today and tomorrow is important now.

My wife is a jungle survival expert, we're only 2km from endless jungle. She and the kids will be ok. She's survived in the jungle before.

Edited by OldDude2, October 30 2016 - 01:49 AM.

#40 relaxxx

relaxxx

• PipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted October 31 2016 - 12:46 AM

Edited by relaxxx, October 31 2016 - 12:49 AM.

Click to shop at Herbies Head Shop