• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HipChris

HipChris

Assistant to the Creator

• Administrators
  • 3,325 posts

Posted October 27 2016 - 03:21 PM

This is the week to celebrate your freedom to read what you want, when you want!
Posted ImageBegun in 1982 by Judith Krug (a free-speech advocate), this annual worldwide event is about banned and challenged books and the persecution of the writers of these works. Banned Book Week is when bookstores, libraries and schools are challenged to not suppress writers and publishers of alternative materials, and allow free speech. Some universities and schools sponsor read-outs where people can freely read passages from banned books aloud.

Here is a link to an amazing list on Wikipedia of banned books worldwide:
http://http://en.wik..._by_governments

And yet there is opposition to the Banned Books Week, of course! From the conservatives, the same crowd who love to ban and burn books that offend their narrowly focused ideals.

The so-called "Focus on the Family" conservative group in the USA has an outraged spokeswoman named Candi Cushman. In her role as "education analyst," she said that "parents have every right and responsibility to object to their kids receiving...literature without their permission, especially in a school setting."

However we have the ALA on our side. The American Association of Libraries and the events week itself "highlights the benefits of free access to information and the perils of censorship by spotlighting the actual or attempted banning of books."

Every year the ALA Office for Intellectual Freedom (OIF) creates a Top Ten List of Frequently Challenged Books.

The OIF collects reports on book challenges from librarians, teachers, concerned individuals and press reports. A challenge is defined as a formal, written complaint filed with a library or school requesting that a book or other material be restricted or removed because of its content or appropriateness. In 2013, the OIF received hundreds of reports on attempts to remove or restrict materials from school curricula and library bookshelves.

The most challenged books of the year were: 1. “Captain Underpants” (series), by Dav Pilkey; 2. “The Bluest Eye,” by Toni Morrison; 3. “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian,” by Sherman Alexie; 4. “Fifty Shades of Grey,” by E.L. James; 5. “The Hunger Games,” by Suzanne Collins; 6. “A Bad Boy Can Be Good for A Girl,” by Tanya Lee Stone; 7. “Looking for Alaska,” by John Green; 8. “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” by Stephen Chbosky; 9. “Bless Me Ultima,” by Rudolfo Anaya; and 10. “Bone” (series), by Jeff Smith.

You can read the entire American Libraries report for 2014 here:
http://http://en.wik..._by_governments

Whether it is printed on paper, in your tablet or some cloud, information is knowledge. Knowledge frees us from slavery and enables us to advance as a species.

Celebrate reading and enjoy your life, read something!

Posted Image

Click here to view the article
  • MeAgain and Yggdrazil like this

#2 Piaf

Piaf

• PipPipPip
  • 24,546 posts

Posted October 28 2016 - 01:21 AM

Cool.
I'ma read the Bible.
  • Dude111 likes this

#3 MeAgain

MeAgain

Dazed and Confused

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,234 posts
  • LocationDobbstown, Malaysia

Posted October 28 2016 - 04:15 AM

I have a 1966 first English edition of Quotations of Chairman Mao Tse-Tung, (The little Red Book), published in Peking.

This book was brought out of China in 1966 by my father in law, who was a visiting surgeon at the time.

It has a printing error and correction insert and is supposedly very rare. I found one copy on the net selling for $350.00.

s-l225.jpg

Never read it.

"Acclinis Falsis Animus Meliora Recusat"

(A mind that is charmed by false appearances refuses better things.)

~ Horace

#4 Dude111

Dude111

An Awesome Dude

• PipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted October 31 2016 - 11:23 AM

I always read whatever I want to......

Banned?? Totally stupid..... That just makes ppl wanna read it more!

#5 hotwater

hotwater

• PipPipPip
  • 23,722 posts
  • LocationNorthern New England

Posted November 04 2016 - 09:55 PM

Before the release of the movie The Wizard of Oz, there’s was a concerted effort to ban the book for being too decadent

A (Ban-The-Baum) Movement was formed and directed at L Frank Baum

Hotwater

• HipChris likes this
Never! This is outrageous. I'm through with it. I'll have no more of this hell-spawn!

Click to shop at Weed Seed Shop