Root Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by earthanimal, Oct 27, 2016.

1. earthanimal

earthanimal Guest

Hi friends. I'm going through some questioning in my hair adventure recently.
    My locks are about 4 years old. They're great and I love them, but I'm battling the topic of root maintenance. It was very much necessary when I first started them (I did back combing along with excessive washing with dr bronners to get them tight quick) and I just kinda stuck with my maintenance routine for the last few years.
    It has recently come to my attention that a friend of mine, whose dreads are about a year younger than mine (I did them for her) stopped maintaining her roots a while back, and they are doing really well, aside from some heavy congo-ing because she often forgets to separate them.
    I haven't gone more than a month without root rubbing, because I get a good inch or so of "soft" hair that gives me slight anxiety about how they look.
    I'm hoping I can get stories of root issues, maintenance, etc. I guess ultimately I'm wondering if my roots will start locking up on their own if I stop rubbing. It's time consuming, and often leaves me with a moderate head throbbing for several hours.

Thankyous in advance!

2. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

I stopped root rubbing a while ago and honestly don't really have issues with my roots. They will just tighten up on their own the same way neglect dreads do.

C/S,
    Rev J

3. earthanimal

earthanimal Guest

I guess I should also mention that I make my own shampoo, and it is designed specifically to get hair soft as well as clean. Is this likely to keep my roots from locking up on their own, or will it not matter?

Thank you for your input Rev