Cheers Glen.

#3 Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood

Senior Moment

• PipPipPip
  • 18,752 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted October 23 2016 - 04:32 AM

And.... Over 70% of Fender Custom Shop guitars are made with off the rack standard parts.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"there was something big happening that night, decisions were made and destiny was cast..."~jfw~

~ I chop wood, I carry water, I tend the Earth, This is my prayer. ~

#4 Sapphire Soul

Sapphire Soul

• PipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts

Posted October 23 2016 - 07:05 AM

And here is a simple song to learn on one...

Simples.

gallery_115237_6097_21333.jpg

Sun so bright that I'm nearly blind

Spiritualized

#5 Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood

Senior Moment

• PipPipPip
  • 18,752 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted October 23 2016 - 07:36 AM

and you will never be this guy...

• rollingalong and Ged like this

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"there was something big happening that night, decisions were made and destiny was cast..."~jfw~

~ I chop wood, I carry water, I tend the Earth, This is my prayer. ~

#6 fourth wise man

fourth wise man

•  Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted October 24 2016 - 06:39 PM

I wish I had a Strat again. Didn't see that coming.
Just got my ZVEX Fuzz Factory pedal today. That thing is unruly, like a 6yo. with ADHD!
they said it takes some getting used to, so you can control it. That is true. Using a whammy with that pedal is just rad!!!

#7 fourth wise man

fourth wise man

•  Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted November 06 2016 - 08:32 PM

And.... Over 70% of Fender Custom Shop guitars are made with off the rack standard parts.

saw a vid recently on the difference between Mexican and American Strats.

The guy basically said you save a lot of money buying a Mexican one, but good enough quality. 

My only complaint, is that he said the tailpiece of the Mexican one was partially made of potmetal. As much as like to use a whammy, that won't cut it.

So if you lean on your whammy a lot, an American might be worth it in the long run, IMO.

Unless you use a trem pedal. There are a couple that seem to work well out there now. The group "Fuzz" uses one that's pretty good.

#8 Reverand JC

Reverand JC

Willy Fuckin' Wonka

• PipPipPip
  • 5,123 posts

Posted November 07 2016 - 06:23 PM

saw a vid recently on the difference between Mexican and American Strats.

The guy basically said you save a lot of money buying a Mexican one, but good enough quality. 

My only complaint, is that he said the tailpiece of the Mexican one was partially made of potmetal. As much as like to use a whammy, that won't cut it.

So if you lean on your whammy a lot, an American might be worth it in the long run, IMO.

Unless you use a trem pedal. There are a couple that seem to work well out there now. The group "Fuzz" uses one that's pretty good.

The great part about Fenders and Strat's in particular is since they are essentially produced in the old school assembly line process they are easy to customize. Claptons famous Strat "Blackie" was made of parts from about 6 Strats that he bought at once. John Entwistle had a bass that he used for years that was built from parts of various basses he smashed on stage:

jae-frankensteinpbass.jpg

C/S,

Rev J

• fourth wise man likes this

"I believe that creative imagination rules the universe.
I believe in the beauty of first love and the eternal power of all love.
I believe in dreams and dreamers, being one myself.
I believe in the power of modern medicine and the wisdom of ancient medicine as well.
I believe in the power of laughter and the beauty of a good joke." Willie Nelson

#9 fourth wise man

fourth wise man

•  Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted November 07 2016 - 07:21 PM

I also realized that one could put an American tailpiece on and save some money. That might be the idea way to go.

A question for you- notice the piece on the headstock that holds the string down...I told a dealer that I didn't like those on a guitar (was looking at a new Strat), he got mad and walked away when I told him why.

I have an Ibanez that is set up like that, and the damn string buzzes there. I found a small roller assembly online that can be used to correct this, but I don't see it working well with a whammy.

Of course the Strat is likely a better (by far) quality than the Ibanez, so maybe I judged too quickly.  :23:

Edited by magickman, November 07 2016 - 07:22 PM.

#10 Reverand JC

Reverand JC

Willy Fuckin' Wonka

• PipPipPip
  • 5,123 posts

Posted November 10 2016 - 11:27 AM

^^ You should try a mid 70s "Lawsuit" Ibanez. That was during th CBS Fender years when they were really putting out shit instruments.

I have a Steve Bailey Jazz bass. Since it was the only legit 6 String Bass Fender put out I think the only off the rack part on it is the tuners.

C/S,
Rev J
  • fourth wise man likes this

"I believe that creative imagination rules the universe.
I believe in the beauty of first love and the eternal power of all love.
I believe in dreams and dreamers, being one myself.
I believe in the power of modern medicine and the wisdom of ancient medicine as well.
I believe in the power of laughter and the beauty of a good joke." Willie Nelson

Click to shop at Herbies Head Shop