Bipolar Disorder- No Medication

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by LittleSun, Oct 20, 2016.

1. LittleSun

LittleSun Members

I was on Lamictal for bipolar disorder, but couldn't keep up with appointments due to work so I stopped it for a little while and I feel like I've absolutely lost my mind. I've been sobbing almost nonstop, extremely irritable, I've lost a bunch of weight due to a lack of appetite and not even thinking about eating; just all bad stuff. But my job isn't a scheduling issue anymore, so I finally made an appointment. But, when I went to go pick up my prescription they informed me that my medical insurance is currently "expired." I don't have an appointment to do anything about it until November 14th. I wanted to know if anyone has any solid advice on how to hold myself together until this issue gets sorted out, especially if you're familiar with this sort of struggle. Im just so tired of feeling like this and feeling like a burden to those around me. I don't have many people in my life but I feel like I'm driving those who are still in my life insane with me.

2. abarambling

abarambling Banned

That sucks, man. I don't have bipolar myself. But, my ex had it, and a few friends from high school had it. Really, medication is the only way to go. I know this might sound crazy, but if you really can't handle it... go to the ER and get admitted. They will give you medication straight away. I never heard of a job that doesnt give you leave for some days due to hospitalization. So, if your job hassles you about it, fight it... because this is your health that they're saying is less important than work.

You could try alternative medicine, but honestly I don't know about that. It won't hurt you, though. I've heard practicing meditation, if you know how to do it correctly can help. Using essential oils. You can use them tropically, orally, and diffuse them, but of course it depends on the essential oil. You have to do your reserach on that. Don't go pouring random essential oils all over your body. That can be dangerous. Herbs also help, in tea or put in your bath. Of course, people say weed helps with everything. But, weed can make things worse... depending on the person.

Best of luck, man. I'm truly sorry you're going through this. But, I absolutely love you for taking medication. That's something a lot of people with bipolar struggle with. So, you're ahead of the game, even if you feel like you're behind.

1 person likes this.
  3. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

If you are in the US or Canada, you can try calling 211 or visiting www.211.org

The ER is a possibility, but there may be community clinics, walk in clinics, or other low cost/no cost options. 211 may also be able to help you straighten out the problems that you are having with insurance.

Lamictal is apparently a brand name of a drug that is available as a generic. Maybe your doctor can write you a prescription for a generic that would be cheap enough that you can pay for it out of pocket. If you can't get a new prescription, see if you can afford the current one out of pocket.

Acupuncture and chinese herbal medicine can help, but it can be expensive. You may want to see if there is a teaching clinic in your area, or if there is anyone who offers services on a sliding scale.

1 person likes this.
  4. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Talk to your doctor, explain the problem and ask if he can hook you up with some free samples to get you through until your insurance gets straightened out. Nearly every time I'm on a long term medication my doctor gives me a couple weeks worth of them.

1 person likes this.
  5. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Your doctor is awesome. My doctors are so damn strict with my medication. I mean I'm not complaining. I know messing around with my medication can do demage, if not kill me. But, like if I want to change the dose or get more because my pain has increased I have to call like three different people and wait forever to see if I can. Also, they want to see me. I know they have to do that for legal reasons, but I know people who can just call their doctor up and get an increase. Granted, these people say they have 'bootleg doctors', meaning they will give you anything if you basically ask for it. I know tons of people who have xanax, adderall, and really strong painkillers that I can't even take unless I'm hospitalized. Well, I used to know tons of people, through my ex. Now, I know no one.

By the way, OP... I'm referring to my medication for my medical issues. Not sure how it works for medication for mental issues.

6. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

You might want to try dry frying bell pepper with black pepper, or lightly frying chunks of bell pepper with oil. Eating this might help to stimulate your appetite.

7. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Definitely go to your doctor and let them know what is going on. They might have some samples for you like tumbling dice said. My boyfriend is bipolar and his doctor gave him samples when he was in a similar situation. If there is really nothing the doctor can do, going outside as hard as it may seem, just for a walk and fresh air might help. Exercise is also a good idea. As far as food goes, get yourself some fresh fruits and veggies to snack on for now. Something simple like an apple should be easy enough to get down.

8. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

All psychiatric drugs have the potential to cause withdrawal reactions, including the antidepressants, stimulants, tranquilizers, antipsychotic drugs and “mood stabilizers” such lithium. When the individual’s condition grows markedly worse within days or weeks of stopping the psychiatric drug, this is almost always due to a withdrawal reaction. However, misinformed doctors and misled parents, teachers and patients think that this is evidence that the individual “needs” the drug even more, when in fact he or she needs time to recover from withdrawal effects.

That's how they keep you sick.

The stuff they gave me "for anxiety" they said was "non addictive" , non addictive only means it doesn't create a nice high, what they fail to mention is that when you quit taking the stuff you get sick the similar to quitting benzos or pain pills, nausea insomnia from hell panic attacks vomiting... and the only way to make it go away was to take another make you unable to feel pill.

I go to the ER all sick and tell them I quit the disable you pills and they tell me its not withdrawal its my "illness" coming back. It is , then how do you explain the 1000s of posts online describing the same withdrawal sickness I have ?

I have a little bit of medication only as needed for sleep in case I get "manic" and don't want to be up all night but that's it.

9. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Sometimes they diagnose people with boarderline personality disorder as bipolar or just say that

www.google.com/search?q=boarderline+personality+disorder+quiz

May want to check out that search. Its my belief and many other peoples that psychiatry harms more people then it helps. It made me worse, from minor anxiety and insomnia to ADHD and bipolar as the pills were piled on and stole 7 years of my life.

Hospitals doctors treatment centers... I never got better till I read webpages critical of it and said enough and took my life back. All better now seems like the nightmare happened to someone else.