Washington D C

Discussion in 'U.S.A.' started by Piaf, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Anyone there?
    I might need a lil help with directions/routes soon. Especially regarding public transportation.

So lemme know.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What ya do is browse the foyer/reception area of hotel room and you'll find all sorts of dorky little maps designed for children to sight see the city. :D also an abundance of bus routes and train routes. :D

How long will you been America for? And what for??

2 people like this.
  3. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

For children? Good, when it comes to directions I need to be told everything as simple yet as detailed as possible xD

4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

no phone with gps? what are you going for or should i say what will you need directions for?

if you are looking for an address with a number or letter you are in luck, they go in order. if you look lost wandering around town dont worry a cop will come up to you and ask what you are doing and where you are going.

1 person likes this.
  5. deleted

deleted Visitor

1 person likes this.
  6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

are you running for office? you have my vote.

1 person likes this.
  7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The birther movement is going to have a field day with her

1 person likes this.
  8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Whatcha doing in the DC area? I enjoy DC, especially in the spring time, it's a fun town and everything is free. Although you can end up in a very sketchy neighborhood if you aren't careful.

1 person likes this.
  9. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Not even close.

Bad areas are on the north and east sides only, beyond common visitor areas.

1 person likes this.
  10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I've heard Pennsylvania Ave. can be pretty sketchy....

2 people like this.
  11. NotDeadYet

What part? I've walked every inch of it several times, all the way from Capitol Hill to Georgetown and on to the embassy area. About halfway from the White House to the Capitol, if you turn north, you can quickly get into questionable areas on those side streets, but there's no museums or monuments or historic areas in that direction. I suppose at night after all the attractions close, the street people might get bolder. I'm never up that way at night, so I don't know.

After dark, the places to be are the Jefferson Memorial, the Georgetown waterfront, downtown Alexandria, and on the river. I see no signs of crime, just people having a good time.

I used to stay downtown in DC until it got so expensive. Now I use the hotels in Alexandria that are near the blue and yellow line Metro stations and Amtrak. Blue and yellow will get me most of the places I want to go, and connecting to the red line will take care of the rest.

I don't understand why they close the National Mall entrance to the Smithsonian station so early. Many times, I've had to walk a block south to go in the other end. It's a very handy station for visitors, probably the one I use the most. Both stations closer to the Capitol on the south side are annoyingly hard to find, due to inadequate signs.

They need stations closer to the Lincoln Memorial, Georgetown, and the National Zoo, but I need some exercise anyway.

1 person likes this.
  12. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

DC is one of the easiest cities to get around. The Metro ain't what it used to be, but is working. The maps are very clear.

The Mall area, Connecticut Avenue up to Dupont Circle, Massachusetts Ave is where the have so-called Embassy Row, and Georgetown is a great place to walk about.

After dark, DC is not so friendly, especially outside the tourist areas on the mall.

Definitely avoid the Southeast section, 14th St and Avenue I area (the park there was a drug dealer's hell hole when I worked across the street). Amusingly thought the DEA world headquarters were on that corner back in the 70s... the Eagle Bar on the Ground Floor was a place for white collar types to pickup some great cocaine straight outta the offices upstairs.

Many tales to tell about our nation's capitol.

2 people like this.
  13. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

what

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Are you sure you're not dutch? You got the same priorities :p

2 people like this.
  15. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Anyways, I had some trouble figuring out the route from airport to the hotel, but I think I got it.I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to traveling to foreign countries.
    Thsnks yall.

16. NotDeadYet

No charge for any of the museums or monuments or important buildings. It would take 2 or 3 weeks to cover all the Smithsonian museums. You only pay for living expenses and transportation.

I don't know how tourists end up in some of these areas, but it happens. To be honest, I had forgotten that Pennsylvania Avenue continued beyond the Capitol, after a gap for Capitol Hill. All visitors need to forget that end. The baseball stadium is the only legitimate reason to be anywhere near the Anacostia River.

17. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Washington , DC....Are you there now and what drew you to there of all places? Is this your first time in the USA?
    I visited DC once with my family, as a child and we toured all of the famous places....That was about it for me and visiting there....although I have driven by it a few times since then on the way to Florida in a car a few times.

18. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Avoid the Capitol Building and The White House...I wouldn't trust anyone there.

1 person likes this.
  19. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

D:

20. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

No, not yet.

Hey maybe I'll get to see President Trump.

That's pretty cool.

Do you think they'd mind that I was born in Yugoslavia???