Online Dating Under 25

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Hedgeclipper, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Hedgeclipper

Hedgeclipper Qiluprneeels Nixw

Hey guys.

So I'm a 22 year old university student. I find that I can't break through superficial interactions at work/school and I live in a town where the dominant language is my second language, so I can't really talk in a relaxed way when I meet people in the city. I'm really busy and I don't have time to introduce a lot of new activities into my life so I don't know how I'd meet people. I've had a nearly 2 year spell with no relationships and not much sex after a year-long intense relationship and an extremely bad breakup. I'm still kind of heartbroken but I don't think I can deal with another winter alone.

My question is: does it make sense to be dating online at my age? I can't really take it seriously, and I always figured it was more for older people whose lives are isolated in their work routines. Should I just find ways to be more outgoing and meet more people, or should I bite the bullet and make a profile somewhere?

I used to always just meet women by hanging out with friends and going to parties. It would happen naturally. Now the concept of meeting a woman, taking her out, developing a relationship just seems so foreign to my life that I can't imagine it happening. I'm actually pretty good at talking to people, and I'm fit and decent looking and fairly interesting too. It's just that I've managed to work myself into this position in life where dating just doesn't happen.

1 person likes this.
  2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

States In Your Profile You Are 32.....??... :)

Cheers Glen.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I will online date you. :)

Please give me bank details for joint account status. :)

3 people like this.
  4. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

LOLOLOL

5. Hedgeclipper

I'm definitely 22.

I will add you for the joint account, but my bank says that I need your mothers maiden name, your social insurance number, and a blank, signed cheque to add you to my account. They said they don't usually ask for these kinds of details but given my unusually high balance they need to take extra precautions.

4 people like this.
  6. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

So You Joined When You Were15 And Lied About Your Age By 10 Years...Go To The "Naughty Corner" Young Man.......[​IMG] .....[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

7. Hedgeclipper

Oh shit you caught me glen

8. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

What Can I Say..........I'm Not As Dumb As I Look...... :scholar:

Cheers Glen.

9. morrow

morrow Visitor

Just get out more. Even if it's a walk in the park!
    Go to the cinema, do you feel ok about going to coffee bars etc alone? People do now you know..
    Borrow a cute dog!
    Your still young, don't worry so much.. more fish in the sea ;)

10. Hedgeclipper

Yeah I try to do that stuff. I actually go for runs with my dog sometimes, and people come talk to me every time. My problem is that I'm very busy all the time and I don't speak the dominant language well enough to do much more than get basic ideas across

11. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Sounds There Maybe Some Cultural Issues At Work Here....??.... :)

Cheers Glen.

12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Your age is really not an issue for online dating. Lots and lots of people around your (and yeah ;) i mean your real) age are doing it and regard it the most normal thing in the world. Well at least here in the Netherlands, but esp in cities and college towns why would it be different over there... ?
    It might be it is not for you after all but not because of your age.

13. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I think there was some girl that you were involved with a while ago - cute, super personality, but asexual.

If she's still around, I recommend that you look her up. It's not like you are getting any ass anyway, and you may like being with her better than being alone.

Seriously dude, if she's still available and you're not going to take her up, send me her email.

14. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

I would guess dating sites mostly filled with people from that age range?

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Tindr is.

16. Hedgeclipper

This girl is one of my favourite people ever. I took her on a pretty sweet adventure last summer, travelling around the country. Hooked up for a little bit, but she wasn't into me really (and that was sorta mutual). I really like her though. She's one of those friends I can always rely on to make me feel happy when I'm down.

We're still pretty close but in a bizarre turn of events she now is in a relationship with this dude at least 35 years her senior. I feel a bit icky about it but shes not the type to get taken advantage of so I trust that he's a good guy. Kinda weird tho.

I always sorta figured it was just for older people who don't have active social circles like young adults do. Either that or for people who are looking for sex without attachment. ISeems kinda lame to be using it at my age but then again I male friends online so why shouldn't I use it to date?

I always felt like there was an element of the encounter that is needed for building towards relationships. Maybe that's an outdated mentality though. The thing is I actually have decent game once I get my foot in the door so to speak. Im just bad at the initial part, and I'm actually a lot better at flirting online. I got lots of girlfriends in highschool back in the MSN days.

Anyone else feel like that? Are you better or worse at flirting thru the web?

1 person likes this.
  17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i think older people are likely to use online dating as a replacement to having social circles, while younger people use it as a supplement to their regular socializing. but yeah, plenty of young people at least have profiles online.

18. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I suppose you could also communicate to your friends that you are looking, and see if there is anyone that they could connect you to. I'm not sure what the success rate is for set-ups, but it might be worth trying.

I assume that people who get set up by friends are less likely to be a nightmare, because someone has already checked them out a little, and shit would get back to them if they screwed you over.

You could also try improving your French. Being surrounded by it, you'll have plenty of chances to learn, and you've certainly got an incentive to motivate you. I've heard that there are some really excellent classes available in your city either for free or for cheap.

You might even meet someone that you like in a class. One of the basic secrets to meeting someone is to put yourself in situations where you can meet someone, as often as possible. And if you are pursuing interests of yours, your chances of meeting someone who has something in common with you goes way up.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Nooo don't go to your friends for a fix up. Friends never want to see you with anyone better than they themselves can get so best assume all friend setups are just that, a setup. A stitch up. At the expense of your own feelings. :D

20. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Damned "friends"!