The Enemy Of The Religious Is...

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by bourne1978, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oden is the Old Norse spelling. :)

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

"In German, Odin is named Wotan. In older English, Odin is named Woden. It is from that name the weekday Wednesday in English comes from "Wodens day". In old Norse he is named Oden and the weekday Wednesday is today, in Scandinavia, "Onsdag", from "Odens day". Odin sacrificed his eye for wisdom. He threw his eye into a well of wisdom. He also impaled himself to a tree for many days, driving a spear through himself, and discovered runes. He got his wish, wisdom."

I've always spelled it "Oden". I've never emphasized the IN in Odin, so I've never spelled it like that. Oh-Den.

3. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

The religious are probably their own worst enemy. They just want money most of the time. They come across as such stupid assholes that no-one in their right mind would ever contribute to such idiocy.
    However, it does seem to work great for "Them".
    I wish I had as good of a scam.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well from experience, they aren't banking on those collection plates.

5. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

The enemy of religion is reason.

6. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Imho, the enemy of the religious is relative understanding of good and evil, due to programming of the mind by a conditioned society. Consequently , all thought is conditioned, and it is with the cessation of thought, with its consequent likes and dislikes, will we able to stop interpreting every experience on the basis of the conditioned memory, and perceive reality as it is.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

More often as not religion is actually about a relative understanding of good and evil

Not an enemy of it. But that depends on which religious people we would exactly be talking about of course.

8. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

If religion is actually a relative understanding of good and evil, then the orthodox Brahmins, Rabbis and Mullahs were right in condemning Buddha, Jesus and Mansur Al-Hallaj for blasphemy.

9. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Friedrich Nietzsche

10. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

He was stuck in the thinking mind with its dualities trying to find truth and consequently went nuts at a young age.

11. StellarCoon

There is a link between creativity and mental illness. Ah well, the flame which burned twice as bright burned half as long.

1 person likes this.
  12. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Nietzche was much into the Indian scriptures and got his conception of 'beyond good and evil' from that. But it was just an intellectual conception, not an experiential one.

He never understood meditation or practiced it, which would have helped him to transcend the finite mind and grasp the Infinite, and which would have been the answer and antidote for his nihilism. The finite mind can never grasp the Absolute and it is not the proper instrument for that due to its inherent limitations.

13. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

If that were the real reason for his mental breakdown, probably most of the population would be insane.

I suppose that you could argue that they are so, and in truth I'd find it hard to completely disagree.

There have been many rationalist philosophers who were likewise stuck in the thinking mind, and seeking to discover truth - many of them to my mind of more interest than Nietzsche, yet few of them went insane.

14. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Nietzche was ruthless in his search for truth through thought and which was the only instrument he knew due to the limitations of western philosophy which still uses the finite mind as the instrument for the realization of truth. He wanted to anchor himself in the Absolute, and craved to do so, because with his nihilistic philosophy, all relative values had become superficial without any substance. It is like a man walking on quicksand seeking solid ground.

Hence he had more reason than the others in stretching himself beyond his limits, burning himself out in the process.

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Syphilis helped it along.

16. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

There is no enemy except that which they create in their mind.

17. StellarCoon

Richard Dawkins :D

18. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

it's a stupid thought
    but not because you are a stupid person
    it's just because you'e not beginning with any reasonable proposition which can be considered
    thus anything said is just more supposition and idiocy

you're like someone picking up a violin and making a bunch of shitty noise then saying - who's my enemy and why

learn something first then come back

the enemy of religion is religion

19. StellarCoon

Christopher Hitchens. <3