Christianity Is A Form Of Harassment

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by TheSamantha, Oct 7, 2016.

1. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I have 99.9% lost interest in being a Christian. I liked it. I thought it was esoteric, eclectic, spiritual, and peaceful, plus I loved Jesus.

But I also find it vapid, unhelpful, it exacerbates my problems, it's about control, and it's unreasonable.

Christians: do I HAVE to be Christian?

2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Why not be a secular admirer of Jesus instead? You can take the best of the quotes attributed to him and incorporate them into your own personal philosophy. It's what I do and it works great. It definitely doesn't have to be about 'church'.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Yes... Yes it is.

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

According to Webster's, harassment is "to annoy or bother (someone) in a constant or repeated way." Of course, if you just don't like the idea that Christians are around, it wouldn't be harassment. If they keep coming to your door, or approaching you on street corners, you could legitimately call it harassment. Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses come to mind. Also on the list would be the folks who hassle women in front of abortion clinics, and the politicians who are obsessed with figuring out new ways to regulate toilet usage, to promote the right to deny service to LGBTs, and to put the Ten Commandments on public property. But the statement "Christianity is a form of harassment" is much too broad,.

1 person likes this.
  5. deleted

deleted Visitor

I haven't seen a door to door christian is easy 15yrs.. Last I did see I was moving a furnace inside and taking one out. These mormon dudes asked if they can we help me, and I told them no thanks, but they insisted they help and just do something good.. They helped me and I seen them a few time before after that..

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

It was these and others like them that I was pointing at...

7. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

I bailed from churchgoing too. I'm Christian and I pray much to Jesus my savior.
    But yes the social implications can get silly. The church can't hide the human factor, which for some reason (power?) seems to get amplified.
    And ridiculous. I believe strongly. However I also am interested in all religions to some degree and can see benefit to most of them. Even paganism
    in its various forms.

But I learned a lot about people when I was going (for 1 1/2 years or so). I quit in early 2015. I still believe religion and spirituality are in our soul, we have to let them in
    for wisdom and peace.

I thought I had seen the bad in people in my "extended family" of the past (thank God that's over), and my ex and her nasty friends.
    Then I went to church. Was good until everyone's nosiness and power games came out. No more, not locally anyway.
    I have friends who are the same way and we believe, but we are comfy in life and without drama.

1 person likes this.
  8. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Seriously??

What kind of a question is that?

9. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

About the only 'harassment' I've had from Christians in recent years would be a knock on the door from my local Anglican vicar offering to pray for me, and inviting me to come to the local community centre for a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich on Monday mornings. Since bacon sandwiches are what's on offer, I suppose that Muslims, Jews or Hindus might think of it as harassment, personally I find it pretty harmless. Even if I do think there ought to be a veggie option. I'm not sure they've thought it through sufficiently.

I have no plans to take up the vicar's offer as I don't really want to be involved in organized religion. But maybe it does some good in the community.

3 people like this.
  10. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

No you dont..... IT IS ONLY ABOUT CONTROL!!!

Religion is made up BS ... You can love and worship God ANYWAY YOU WANT!!

I have had Christians tell me "You must goto church... God has something special for you there"

IM SORRY BUT I DONT WANNA SEE ALL THOSE SHEEPLE MORONS,I can love and worship him in my own area!!

1 person likes this.
  11. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

The title of your thread is ridiculous. As for the last sentence...it sounds to me like you are more agnostic anyway. You love the idea of jesus.

12. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

You can believe and practice what you want. Free will is a gift from God

1 person likes this.
  13. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

I'd accept a free bacon sandwich from the devil, especially if he handed out coffee with it.
    Damn you, now I've got to cook myself one for breakfast!

I thought it was beef that Hindus (and Buddhists) avoided.

Back to the OP,
    No you don't have to be a Christian, it's Muslims that kill apostates.

14. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Depends on how much you dislike hell.

1 person likes this.
  15. StellarCoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jARp24AJWLk

16. StellarCoon

And honestly, who doesn't? Great, moving, story laced with some wisdom and some truth. Right up there with the Epic of Gilgamesh and The Mahābhārata.

17. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

<-----

1 person likes this.
  18. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Some are vegetarians.

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Well goddamn! We agree.

OP I can't take you serious. Sure, christianity can and is sometimes a form of harrasment. It has many facets, different kinds of believers etc. First of all ask the question why you would be a believer. Has it anything to do with other christians? If so, what? Does it matter if another christian believes differently than you? Can it make your affiliation to the christian religion make less worthwile? How so?

Certain christians may answer your question 'do I have to be a christian' with yes. But what does that really matter to you if it is because they say you will go to hell otherwise, or yes, because if you're not you are a bad person or some other crap?
    There will always be some other people that are also christian that may say or do things that make your religion look bad or pointless etc. But really they may have little in common with you or how you interprete and/or experience your faith/belief. You place as much merit on what they say as you want.
    It's also with control, manipulation, taking parts in the bible literally while that is nonsense and other unreasonable aspects. Sure we can all see that is a part of christianity, but it doesn't have to be a part of your (christian) belief or your experience with the belief. Hell, I say you don't even have to go to church to be a good christian (it certainly wouldn't make me a better one if I wanted to be a good christian :p).
    If you believe for yourself you believe how you want. Don't let people bully you to conform to how they see christianity should be experienced. Duh. And no reason to distance yourself from it because you think the controlling, unreasonable form of christianity is the only proper one :p :D (seems pretty stupid that someone has to write that out to you IMO)

20. OldDude2

OldDude2 Newbie

Did you know 'world was created in 7 days' was a mistranslation from Hebrew to Latin.
    The original Hebrew said 'world was created in 7 eons'